Author Topic: Hama DIT2010MBT equaliser on digital output not working  (Read 99 times)

hama_rama

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 57.0.2987.133 Chrome 57.0.2987.133
Hi,

im wondering why the equalizer on the Hama DIT2010MBT is not working on the digital output. Via the analog output its working as it should. On the predecessor of this device called DIT2010 (without bluetooth) the equalizer was working on digital out as well. The mute feature doesnt work either digital.

Im having the latest firmware on this device: ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0410_V2.11.12.c.EX65964-1A7

Can anyone confirm this bug?

How often does Frontier Silicon publish updates?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 11:26:13 | 08 April, 2017 by hama_rama »

Dogmatix

• Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
Re: Hama DIT2010MBT equalizer on digital output not working
« Reply #1 on: 14:30:22 | 07 April, 2017 »
This does seem strange. On my non-Bluetooth DIT2010 both the mute and the equaliser work via the digital output, as you say. The firmware is  ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0310_V2.11.12.c.EX65964-2A3. Note that this differs from the firmware on your tuner in two places: the last three characters, and, more importantly, the 0410 on yours where mine has 0310. Having compared other Frontier firmware numbers, it appears that these four numbers identify the radio model, thus the old (non-Bluetooth) and new (with Bluetooth) versions have different model numbers, as they have different features and thus need different firmware.

I suggest that you contact Hama (https://de.hama.com/service/kontakt-hotline/produkt-anfrage) and ask them. Possibly there is a bug in the firmware; maybe they already know. Frontier usually only releases firmware updates when the brands ask, so if this is a bug, Hama would have to ask Frontier to fix it.

Please tell us what Hama say!
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010 & DIR3100. See 'Small Ads' section for Reciva radios for sale.

hama_rama

• Browser:
  • Chrome 57.0.2987.133 Chrome 57.0.2987.133
« Reply #2 on: 00:24:14 | 08 April, 2017 »
Have contacted Hama already. They didnt know about this behaviour at first. Then after my mail they checked and confirmed the equaliser and mute bug. They promised to fix this in the next firmware update but couldn´t say how long this will last. After some days I wrote a mail again asking for how long the next update could approximately last, because I´m still in my 14 day return range and thinking about returning this product, because its not working properly. They answered on this mail that on a premium device like the DIT2010MBT the digital output is intended to be not equalised, because this would influence the quality. This might be on the hand hand correct but on the other hand than the fixed spectrum should be neutral and volume shouldn´t be adjustable as well via digital. The spectrum settings on digital output are comparable on the "Rock" settings on the DIT2010. I´ve had the luck to compare both devices for a few days. And this emphasized spectrum should be now the one and only on their premium device? This cant be serious. I´m having now the impression that they try to sell a bug as a feature.  Only the mute bug would be fixed in the next firmware update and when this will come was left unanswered.

Now I´m torn if I should keep this device. I really like it, because it has a huge feature set and the dab tuner seems quite good, but without an equaliser on digital output it loses attractiveness to me.

Dogmatix

• Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
« Reply #3 on: 05:26:29 | 08 April, 2017 »
There is a school of thought that maintains that tuners should not have equalisation or even volume controls - this should be left to the amplifier. The DNT Tune, a Reciva-based internet radio tuner, worked that way - no volume control via the digital outputs, but the analogue outputs could be controlled.

I think it is a bit cheeky of Hama to try to "sell" you this bug as a feature. Whether it was designed into the firmware on purpose, i.e. whether Hama requested it from Frontier, or whether Frontier just assumed it should be so, or whther it really is a programming bug, we shall never know. But it still stinks.

You will have to decide which is the most or least important feature to you - Bluetooth or the equaliser. You can probably still get the older version somewhere (ebay, perhaps).
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010 & DIR3100. See 'Small Ads' section for Reciva radios for sale.

anything