login

Author Topic: v257-a-865  (Read 1911 times)

EastEriq

Re: v257-a-865
« Reply #15 on: 00:27:42 | 11 May, 2021 »
Could you please tell me in what file you found those options.  Maybe my radios are too old but I cannot find anything about "bookmarks" or "presets-as-menu-items" -- or maybe I am just not looking in the right place.

I assume you have to telnet into the radio and alter these via the VI editor or have you a nifty way of doing that from the web interface.

/root/hwconfig/configXXX.txt, where XXX is the model number of your radio. Yes, telnet+vi is a way, another is telnet+curl if you set up a server for the file somewhere (http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2977.0).

There have been various reports of this or that option working differently on this and that radio/firmware, so YMMV. My experiences are on threads like:

http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2121.0

http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2115.msg19593#msg19593

Don't be too brave about trying out unknown options, I remember having run into a couple which almost hung my radio.
« Last Edit: 01:58:41 | 11 May, 2021 by EastEriq »
The following users thanked this post: jpaul

jpaul

« Reply #16 on: 09:14:10 | 12 May, 2021 »
Thanks very much. Am I correct in assuming that turning on the UPNP or Media Server options in the /root/hwconfig/configxxx.txt file is all that is required? The admonition to just try one option at a time is one I would have followed anyway, being deathly afraid of bricking the radio.

I notice that several of the configxxx.txt files also have a line "Include configyyy.txt" and that sometimes the option is turned ON in the first include and then turned off in a second. So I assume the processing order is linear - if an INCLUDE configyyy is encountered the options there are "set" first, then if the same option name is encountered the state is the last processed.

I think the best approach is to add an INCLUDE line at the bottom of the configxxx.txt file and point to a configMY.txt file and use that new file to turn on various options. That way one wouldn't forget where the modifications were.

jpaul

« Reply #17 on: 22:15:06 | 14 May, 2021 »
Thanks to all the good advice provided here, I can report I was able to modify the config files of my 4 radios - 3 different makes - and add "My History" to the "My Stuff" item with "Option: stations-history on" addition and specify a size of 50 on all radios.  Easy, once you got the hang of it.  Read the "Enabling remote control in the firmware" on the Sharpfin site. When following their directions, be advised you need to first unprotect the partition, THEN save a backup copy - the reverse of what is stated.  Also, there doesn't seem to be a "sync" command on my radios, so just issue the mount command to write-protect the drive before you exit.

What may be of interest to others attempting the same is that I used PUTTY - the only telnet vehicle I know, [free, just look on the internet] - and found the Vi editor was incredibly simple to use in this environment.  Of course, I made a backup of the original config file first and decided it was easier to add the commented additions near the end of the file. Always comment YOUR modifications, many months later you will be very glad you did [as I know from experience].

While Reciva still seems to be working for the Sanyo and Livio, but not the Grace, if and when Reciva disappears, the 99 Presets supplied by Sharpfin and 50 or more History entries will make the loss unpleasant but far less traumatic.

jpaul

« Reply #18 on: 14:59:38 | 16 June, 2021 »
I have some CC Wifi Reciva-based radios with versions v257-a-865-a-407 amd v257-a-865-a-414-a-015.  There are notes I found on the forum indicating that v257-a-865 cannot be sharpfin'd but I tried it anyways and was unsuccessful as expected. 

Mmmm.  I have a CC Wifi with v257-a-865-a-414-a-015  --  I had tried the Sharpfin update unsuccessfully and thus had assumed the radio could not be Sharpfin'd but see the post below

« Last Edit: 18:55:01 | 19 June, 2021 by jpaul »

jpaul

« Reply #19 on: 18:40:42 | 19 June, 2021 »
I just managed to Sharpfin my Crane Wifi radio with v257-a-865-a-414-a-015. I had tried the Sharpfin update earlier but it failed quickly, reporting an error attempting firmware update. Others had reported they could not apply the Sharpfin update to Crane radios with v257-a-865-a-407, but I had already been successful updating a Livio radio with the same firmware. I therefore presumed there must be an option in the config622.txt that changed the Reciva firmware update handshaking but looking at the Crane config622.txt along side the Livio config631.txt files I could not see any option that might do this. The only differences were model dependent options.

Since I have a 10/100 ethernet hub, I connected a machine running WireShark and collected the network traffic while I applied the patchserver test patch to the Livio radio. I then substituted the Crane Wifi radio thinking I would see the packets and data when it failed to do the patchserver update so I could understand what was different.

Much to my surprise, the test patch actually installed on the Crane Wifi. So I immediately tried the ep2.install and it worked. The firmware update failed the first or second time I initiated it with the test patch but as I was trying to start the WireShark at just the right time, I assumed I had finger problems. I think the ep2.install worked the first time.

I cannot explain why it failed earlier but worked now.  The only thing that was different was the slower 10/100 hub versus the 1000 network in the house.  I am assuming that WireShark shouldn’t make any difference.

I would like to suggest that others with a Crane Wifi with either v257-a-865-a-414-a-015 or v257-a-865-a-407 try connecting the patch server machine and the radio to an old 10 or 10/100 switch and attempt the firmware update a number of times – it may just be a timing problem.

For the record, I used the patchsever.exe from the patchserver_0.5 file [dated 10/7/2007] and the sharpfin-ep2.install to perform the update

mnassour

« Reply #20 on: 18:32:28 | 30 August, 2021 »
I had already been successful updating a Livio radio with the same firmware.

The coming shutdown has (finally) forced me to jump into Sharpfin.  I was looking at the RADIOS list in the wiki, but didn't see the Livios anywhere.  Was there only one Livio Radio, the LV002?  I assume there are no meaningful differences between the "NPR" and "Pandora" versions, right?

I'm currently reading at sharpfin.org but it's a lot like trying to drink from a fire hose!

MANY thanks for any help you can provide!
« Last Edit: 18:43:31 | 30 August, 2021 by mnassour »

jpaul

« Reply #21 on: 12:02:07 | 08 September, 2021 »
Check the firmware level of your Livio radio. From what I could see, the RADIOS list does NOT have a complete list of all radios that have been successfully Sharpfin'd. Rather, rely on the firmware level as a better indicator - if others have been able to apply the Sharpfin update to the same firmware level, it seems very likely that you will also be able to apply it, even if the RADIOS list doen't include your model.

Also, if at first it doesn't work, persevere and try it several more times.  I found that I could eventually get my Crane radio to accept the Sharpfin update even though it had failed the first time I tried. 

And, yes, the wealth of information is a bit daunting at first, but you will learn a lot by carefully reading the contributions of others.  Just re-read the Sharpfin instructions a few times and try to apply the test patch first.  I am sure you will make it.