Author Topic: Reciva radios will still [sort of] work with Sharpfin  (Read 450 times)

jpaul

Reciva radios will still [sort of] work with Sharpfin
« on: 14:53:51 | 14 September, 2021 »
If you still have a Reciva radio powered on, DO NOT POWER IT OFF. If left powered on, it will still allow you to select and play saved presets.  If you do power off, at power on the radio will report NO INTERNET CONNECTION. For a wireless connected radio, this will be true, I haven't found a way to get it to handshake. But for a wired connected radio this is somewhat false information.  You can still access your radio via the Sharpfin Web Browser and you can select a station and cause it to play from the web browser. However, the radio internal interface will not allow you to select another station. So the NO INTERNET message is somewhat correct.  Maddening, to say the least.

I would have expected Reciva to offer a suggestion as to a workaround. Very disappointing.

I was able to D/L the source files from the Reciva site  http://www.reciva.com/gpl/20130925.html a few months ago, but it is now gone.  49 files - about 339 Meg. The Reciva code is built on an old Linux release.  If anyone is interested let me know. I also D/L'd a number of BIN files but I am not sure they could be loaded.  I would hope it might be possible to patch but I need to try reading the code again.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
Re: Reciva radios will still [sort of] work with Sharpfin
« Reply #1 on: 15:41:25 | 14 September, 2021 »
If you do power off, at power on the radio will report NO INTERNET CONNECTION. For a wireless connected radio, this will be true,

This is not what I have observed on my AE Wifi Radio (HW ID: 1019; firmware v257-a-865-a-476, also known as the Beta firmware, also known as the "legacy enhanced firmware"; with Sharpfin patch).

This radio does not have an ethernet port; it can only connect wirelessly. When I disconnect the power and later reconnect it, the radio starts normally and connects normally to my WLAN without difficulty. It then says "Finding gateway", and, after about ten seconds, reports "Network error / Reciva gateway not responding". I can then have it play any of the stations stored in presets, or use the media player to play files stored on my UPnP NAS, using the controls on the radio (it does not have a remote control).

The message "Network error" clearly refers to the Reciva network, not to my local area network or the internet. The radio is quite capable of connecting to the internet; it just can't find what it's looking for because that isn't there any more.

Moreover, as this radio has Sharpfin on board, I can connect to it from any browser and use the Sharpfin web interface to control the radio.

I do not think that the behaviour which you report is typical of Reciva radios at this time. On which brand/model radio(s) with which firmware (service pack) have you observed it?
« Last Edit: 03:21:43 | 15 September, 2021 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

A. Black

« Reply #2 on: 06:00:18 | 15 September, 2021 »
If you do power off, at power on the radio will report NO INTERNET CONNECTION. For a wireless connected radio, this will be true,

This is not what I have observed on my AE Wifi Radio (HW ID: 1019; firmware v257-a-865-a-476, also known as the Beta firmware, also known as the "legacy enhanced firmware"; with Sharpfin patch).

This radio does not have an ethernet port; it can only connect wirelessly. When I disconnect the power and later reconnect it, the radio starts normally and connects normally to my WLAN without difficulty. It then says "Finding gateway", and, after about ten seconds, reports "Network error / Reciva gateway not responding". I can then have it play any of the stations stored in presets, or use the media player to play files stored on my UPnP NAS, using the controls on the radio (it does not have a remote control).

The message "Network error" clearly refers to the Reciva network, not to my local area network or the internet. The radio is quite capable of connecting to the internet; it just can't find what it's looking for because that isn't there any more.

Same here. We had a power failure last night so after that I tried it on my CC Wifi running v257-a-865-a-407 connected via wifi (no sharkfin) and despite the network error it was still possible to play presets.  (Didn't try the media player but presumably it works too.)
The following users thanked this post: Baldman

Baldman

« Reply #3 on: 10:58:49 | 15 September, 2021 »

Same here. We had a power failure last night so after that I tried it on my CC Wifi running v257-a-865-a-407 connected via wifi (no sharkfin) and despite the network error it was still possible to play presets.  (Didn't try the media player but presumably it works too.)

That's good to here I guess. What radio do you have.
Grace Encore and Bravada

dif

« Reply #4 on: 14:07:09 | 15 September, 2021 »
I have found my Acoustic Energy and the Tangent Quattro both start up ok, after a pause on Finding Gateway. There's message about Reciva Gateway not found and it goes to the network configuration menu (clearly thinking this must be the problem). Hitting Back a couple of times you can back out to the normal menus.

The internal media server still works as normal (best with a very strong wi-fi signal) and I can select stations through that. It's not perfect but it's still working fine.
Radios: Acoustic Energy AE17 & Logik IR100

jpaul

« Reply #5 on: 17:04:57 | 15 September, 2021 »
Those fortunate enough to own Acoustic Energy or Tangent Quattro are much better off than older radios. Things look somewhat less rosy but still manageable.

Let me try and summarize what I have found with 5 different radios:
Wireless NOT Connecting:
Grace GDI-IRD4400M
SANYO R227
Roberts WM-201

My Livio LV001 and C Crane WiFi are still connected via Enet cable and until the power company gives me a short power outage, I will have to wait to test the wireless behavior.

WIRED:
SANYO R227 - reports No Internet Connection, but it DOES connect to the LAN. Presets will connect to a station but anything in the History file will NOT play - reports No Internet Connection.
      Cannot get to the Presets as Menu items and cannot see the Bookmarks.
Roberts WM-201 - reports Network Error  Reciva Gateway not responding. Does connect to LAN. Selecting Internet Radio reports Network Error BUT unlike the SANYO presents the Location/Genre and then the Presets as Menu Items show up AND can be selected.  The MY History items display but cannot be selected - radio reports No Internet Connection.

Both the Livio and C Crane WiFi are still operating as they did before the Reciva shutdown. Items CAN be selected from the My History file and the radio will connect.

So it appears that the radios would operate as they once did if one were able to patch the code around the Reciva Token acceptance.

One last item - the Grace 4400 is a wireless only radio.  But opening it I see there are 4 solder pads for a Lan connector. AND, having saved the Radio Info material I notice that the boot sequence  perhaps initialized the wired LAN connection first, will try and connect and report back.

Takeaway:  Load up your Preselect entries and maybe look to use a remote to access more preselect entries than the buttons will allow.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #6 on: 00:59:24 | 16 September, 2021 »
Those fortunate enough to own Acoustic Energy or Tangent Quattro are much better off than older radios.
Actually, the AE (Acoustic Energy) WiFi radio is one of the oldest Reciva radios, along with the Logic Imp and the larger Logic radio. The Tangent and Roberts models came a little later. You can get an idea of the relative ages of Reciva models by looking at the Hardware ID, which starts at 1019 (AE radio) and decreases with newer models. (I once started to compiled a list of HW id's and models, I don't know if I still have it on a back-up disc somewhere.)

The My History items display but cannot be selected - radio reports No Internet Connection.
I had not checked this as I hardly ever used it, but on my AE, it is as you say. It is odd that the radio immediately says "Not Internet Connection" for the History items, but says "Loading..." for a long time for My Stations.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

peterkeet

« Reply #7 on: 13:42:03 | 16 September, 2021 »
I can confirm Dogmatix' observations: Radio-presets still can be played. Tested it connected wirelessly on the Roberts WM201, Lenco2100B and AEGir4430 (all on firmware v257-a-865-a-476).

If my radio reported no internet connection, I was only one  remote-button-push away from connecting to a radio station: I could select a preset number on the remote. Or press ENTER on the radio, which gave me  presets-as-menu list in the location/genre/search menu.

Ptr

Quirzo

« Reply #8 on: 05:30:28 | 19 September, 2021 »
If you still have a Reciva radio powered on, DO NOT POWER IT OFF. If left powered on, it will still allow you to select and play saved presets.  If you do power off, at power on the radio will report NO INTERNET CONNECTION. For a wireless connected radio, this will be true, I haven't found a way to get it to handshake. But for a wired connected radio this is somewhat false information.  You can still access your radio via the Sharpfin Web Browser and you can select a station and cause it to play from the web browser. However, the radio internal interface will not allow you to select another station. So the NO INTERNET message is somewhat correct.  Maddening, to say the least.

I would have expected Reciva to offer a suggestion as to a workaround. Very disappointing.

I was able to D/L the source files from the Reciva site  http://www.reciva.com/gpl/20130925.html a few months ago, but it is now gone.  49 files - about 339 Meg. The Reciva code is built on an old Linux release.  If anyone is interested let me know. I also D/L'd a number of BIN files but I am not sure they could be loaded.  I would hope it might be possible to patch but I need to try reading the code again.

If you can host source files somewhere, I would be interested in checking them out  :)

EastEriq

« Reply #9 on: 05:38:53 | 19 September, 2021 »
if ir could be recompiled and be instructed to go search on fmstream.org instead of on the reciva server.....

dif

« Reply #10 on: 11:12:07 | 19 September, 2021 »
Just testing a couple more radios here. The Vistron MX-200i and Logik IR100 will both connect to presets, and will run the internal media server ok to connects to stations with this. Both show a connection error, but hitting Back a couple of times gets to the menus. Choosing Stations shows No Internet Connection, but presets will work at that point.

The Logik IR100 clock no longer sets itself to the right time - I assume the time server it's looking for is not there any more. The AE Acoustic Energy radio still sets itself to the correct time so that must be connecting to a different time server.

Radios: Acoustic Energy AE17 & Logik IR100

jpaul

« Reply #11 on: 16:45:28 | 22 September, 2021 »
I have uploaded the Reciva files to dropbox.  Use:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/asnexta2x0p80xp/AAA1EYOAXcoszzoKc8mTvKE-a?dl=0
to view and/or download.

Sorry, they are all compressed, mostly .TAR.GZ, a couple of .ZIP.  I was able to unpack them with Windows ZIP.   There are 53 files/341 MB.  They expand to about 1.92 GB.

If any problems, please let me know.

Paul Webster

« Reply #12 on: 23:50:09 | 22 September, 2021 »
Note ... the GPL release from Reciva does not include the source code of their own "ir" (Internet Radio) application.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

EastEriq

« Reply #13 on: 23:54:56 | 22 September, 2021 »
Note ... the GPL release from Reciva does not include the source code of their own "ir" (Internet Radio) application.
and it would be surprising if it was... that was the core of their IP.