Author Topic: Do All Internet Radios Get The Same Stations?  (Read 331 times)

Jim1348

Do All Internet Radios Get The Same Stations?
« on: 08:31:53 | 27 May, 2018 »
As posted above, I am wondering if all internet radios get the same radio stations? I still have my somewhat dated Logitech Squeezebox Radio. It works fine, but I am just curious if newer internet radios are capable of accessing content that the Logitech Squeezebox Radio can't receive?

castalla

• Administrator
Re: Do All Internet Radios Get The Same Stations?
« Reply #1 on: 10:49:41 | 27 May, 2018 »
As posted above, I am wondering if all internet radios get the same radio stations? I still have my somewhat dated Logitech Squeezebox Radio. It works fine, but I am just curious if newer internet radios are capable of accessing content that the Logitech Squeezebox Radio can't receive?

If you use the stanalone Radio then al you'll get are mp3 streams via Tunein.  Operate with a small PC (eg. raspberry pi) running the Logitech Media Server, then you'll get much more (eg. BBC  stations in higher quality, Radio Paradise in flac, etc.).  Other radios are essentially restricted to standard mp3 streams - some higher end units can handle aac & hls streams

ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

Jim1348

« Reply #2 on: 06:25:29 | 28 May, 2018 »
Thank you for the reply. I have been considering the Grace Digital Mondo+. Would it be able to receive anything more than the Logitech Squeezebox Radio then?

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 08:33:56 | 28 May, 2018 »
Couldn't say - Solo2 has one, I believe.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

ShortWave Dave

• Dave's Homemade Radios
« Reply #4 on: 13:40:28 | 28 May, 2018 »
Jim1348,
I have a Mondo+ and Encore+ here. I live in New York State. If you post a list of a few stations, I'll check and add them to my Grace Digital radio and see if they fly and report back to you. Assuming no geoblocks, you should have the same results.
Dave
Dave-N2DS, Google Home, Alexa, Mondo, Encore Plus.

Jim1348

« Reply #5 on: 16:11:58 | 28 May, 2018 »
Jim1348,
I have a Mondo+ and Encore+ here. I live in New York State. If you post a list of a few stations, I'll check and add them to my Grace Digital radio and see if they fly and report back to you. Assuming no geoblocks, you should have the same results.
Dave

My guess is that anything the Logitech Squeezebox Radio can receive, the Grace Digital Mondo+ will be able to receive. I am just wondering what things the Grace Digital Mondo+ can do that the Logitech Squeezebox Radio can't do. I wish that there was a local dealer that had one on display that I could try. These are such a niche' item, but I haven't found a local retailer in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul MN that carries them in stock. 

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #6 on: 17:09:39 | 28 May, 2018 »
The Grace Mondo/Encore plus radios have SiriusXM (if you have a subscription) which the Squeezebox doesn't (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104287-Sirius-Dead-on-the-Logitech-Devices).  The Grace plus radios also have Live365, Shoutcast and iTunes podcasts. The Grace plus radios can play HLS streams.  The Grace plus radios use Chromecast built-in and can play with Google home devices, if you go for that sort of thing.  Mostly, with the Grace plus radios, you don't need to have Logitech Media Server running somewhere on the network to take advantage of all the radios' capabilities.  The Squeezebox radios have a dedicated group of developers who write interesting plugins while Grace seems to be more locked down.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #7 on: 12:47:13 | 30 May, 2018 »
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

A. Black

« Reply #8 on: 18:03:29 | 31 May, 2018 »

If there is a particular station that you can't get it's worthwhile using google to check if there are alternative stations that broadcast the same thing or if not if there are stations that broadcast similar if not identical content.

For example, I cannot get WBBR (Bloomberg Radio) on my CC Wifi (Reciva) or on my Google Home (Tunein) but I can get WRCA (Waterdown/Boston) on CC Wifi and I can get WDCH (Bowie/Boston) on Google Home.  These alternatives also play Bloomberg Radio.

I can get CFTE on both and it broadcasts Bloomberg in the evening and Canadian financial news during the day.