Author Topic: Firmware Update for Roberts Stream 93i and iStream 2 with DASH and BBC On-Demand  (Read 7536 times)

Dogmatix

Just appeared on the Roberts website, service page (https://www.robertsradiotechnical.co.uk/News.aspx).

•  DASH Support – You can now listen to BBC Internet Radio streams at a significantly higher audio quality than previously.
•  On-Demand Listening – Catch up on many recent broadcasts from the BBC. These are also now available in a higher audio quality than previously. In addition, you may pause, resume, rewind or fast-forward through the programme being listened to.
•  Music Player – Support for the Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) for music files streamed to the radio using DLNA or played from a USB memory device.
•  [93i only] Kitchen Timer – A convenient and easy to use timer, that may be set in one minute increments up to a maximum of 5 hours. A buzzer alarm will sound at the end of the set interval, but with a faster volume increase than existing alarms. The Kitchen Timer may be used whether the radio is playing or in standby, with a ‘time remaining’ indicator present on the display during use.

« Last Edit: 03:27:50 | 02 June, 2016 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

Dogmatix

My Roberts Steam 93i has now updated to v2.10 (or, to give it its full name, ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0041-RD93i_V2.10.13c.EX65649-V1.22). The update cleared all WiFi settings and internet radio presets (but not DAB presets).

The BBC national stations (and the two local ones I checked) show bit rate 92-99 kbps, codec AAC, sampling rate 48kHz, except R5 UK only which is still MP3 at 128kbps (I suppose it's only geo-blocked when something geo-sensitive is on). Under this firmware version, the AAC stream appears to be selected automatically, if available. R3 HD UK only does not connect. Being outside the UK, I am denied the high quality streams. On Roberts' Facebook page, they show a shot of a Stream2 Revival radio playing Radio 6 at 320kbps. R3 HD UK probably only has a separate entry in the stations list because of the special MP3 stream.

BBC Podcasts can be reached via the Podcasts menu in the Internet radio menu, these are MP3, and via Podcasts when selecting a BBC station from the stations list - these are a mixture of AAC and MP3.

Revo tell me that they plan to upgrade their models at the end of this month.
« Last Edit: 03:26:07 | 02 June, 2016 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

Paul Webster

Well done Roberts/FS - a bit late but much better than never.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

Crystalset

When the BBC discontinue mp3 streaming will all stations (1-6 + World &locals) be available world wide?

Dogmatix

As far as I know, all stations currently available outside the UK will remain so - just with a lesser bit rate than within the UK (96kbps instead of 320kbps, if the picture on Facebook is to be believed).
The following users thanked this post: Crystalset

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Those Roberts radios are rare and expensive in this neck of the woods.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

whytega

I have upgraded two Roberts iStream2 radios and everything worked great.  If  I listened directly through my Swedish IP, Radio 4 comes in at 96 kbps  or via a UK VPN its 320 kbps.  Although through this radio and for Radio 4 I can't really tell the difference.

Today however Radio 4 shows either 0 kbps, sampling rate or 0 or 128 kbps, sampling rate 0 and there is no sound.  This happens on both radios.  Podcasts work fine and I have added the old MP3 stream to "My Added Stations" and this also works.

I have tried restarting but perhaps I need to reset. I wonder if anyone else had this issue?  Perhaps this should be in the BBC section but maybe its the upgrade, I'm not sure.

Dogmatix

Today however Radio 4 shows either 0 kbps, sampling rate or 0 or 128 kbps, sampling rate 0 and there is no sound. 

Same here. All the DASH/AAC stations appear to be affected, local as well as national.

Dogmatix

... or via a UK VPN its 320 kbps. 

How did you persuade your 93i to connect via a VPN? Or did you set it on your router?

whytega

Dogmatix... the latter.  I have a secondary network where I use an old router with DD-WRT installed which automatically logs into a UK vpn.

Dogmatix

Still no luck with the live streams; some podcasts seem to work, though . now listening to Just A Minute, Radio4 Extra podcast from Monday, AAC at 96kbps.

EDIT:

Just talked to  a Roberts tech person (very helpful); this is a general problem with all BBC DASH streams, since yesterday afternoon/evening. The BBC have been informed.
« Last Edit: 02:06:26 | 10 June, 2016 by Dogmatix »

whytega

The BBC MPEG-Dash issue seems to be fixed now.  I must say it's reassuring that my investment should last a few more years yet.

Dogmatix

A further update is now available for these two models. My 93i has now updated from  ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0041-RD93i_V2.10.13c.EX65649-V1.22 to  ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0041-RD93i_V2.10.13c.EX65649-V1.24. This appears to be a minor update; only the last digit has changed, and wifi details and presets have survived the update process.

Roberts have informed me that V2.10 updates for the other Venice 6.5-based radios, i.e. Stream 104, 107, 207 and 217, will follow soon.

Dogmatix

I have attempted to connect my 93i via a Smart DNS service (on a free trial basis). The result was that although the radio connected, and the UK-only Radio 5 stream was playable, all the BBC stations remained at 96kbps, and the radio menu still insisted on offering me local German stations rather than BBC in the main internet radio menu. It is possible that the BBC recognises this particular service provider and reduces the signal bandwith accordingly, or that the radio uses other means of geo-location (perhaps by checking the identifiers in local DAB signals).

The other little snag I ran into was that the service uses the user's IP address as an identification/authorisation means. Whilst on the one hand this is good, because a password setup would be impossible to use with an internet radio, on the other hand it does mean that unless your ISP provides you with a fixed IP address - and most don't, or if they do, then only to business customers - you have to register your current IP address every time it changes, and that is a pain in the..., well, it's a bit inconvenient.

I'm not really bothered, though. The only BBC station worthy of a higher bitrate is Radio 3, and there are many other classic radio stations out there. Besides which, as I listen to Radio 4 mostly at work, where I can only connect via a UMTS-Wifi gadget with a SIM card on a 5GB/month data plan, I prefer the lower bandwidth signal anyway.
« Last Edit: 23:49:13 | 04 July, 2016 by Dogmatix »