Author Topic: Grace Digital Kickstarts Encore +  (Read 477 times)

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Grace Digital Kickstarts Encore +
« on: 06:04:46 | 14 November, 2017 »
Today Grace Digital is launching a kickstarter campaign for the Encore + at a substantial discount.  It's a stereo radio available in a walnut and a black ash finish.  Info on the kickstarter campaign is here:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1209003580/1826919352?ref=390064&token=142ea004
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Baldman

Re: Grace Digital Kickstarts Encore +
« Reply #1 on: 10:07:44 | 11 December, 2017 »
I have a question for Solo2 since he's the Guru for Grace. ;D Is the Encore+ ever going to have a Bluetooth transmitter installed? It has it as a receiver only and that's the one thing that has me not buying it. I have a regular Encore and I'd like to upgrade.
Grace Encore and Bravada

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 12:03:57 | 11 December, 2017 »
I don't know.  I asked @Greg and will let you know what he has to say.  It would be a good idea as bluetooth headphones are in fashion.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 19:05:46 | 11 December, 2017 »
Well, the answer I got is that it's something they were working on, but there was some technical problem with it, so they've pushed it onto the back burner for now.  They still plan on adding blue tooth transmit, but they aren't sure when.
The following users thanked this post: Baldman

Baldman

« Reply #4 on: 10:02:16 | 18 December, 2017 »
Well, the answer I got is that it's something they were working on, but there was some technical problem with it, so they've pushed it onto the back burner for now.  They still plan on adding blue tooth transmit, but they aren't sure when.
I guess I'll wait till then. Thank you.
Grace Encore and Bravada

highaltitudes

« Reply #5 on: 17:43:36 | 03 February, 2018 »
I ordered an Encore + the other day and was curious if they have added much to it versus the original Encore (which I also own).  Is there a definitive list of media files it will play?  I've not seen them on the Grace site and was curious to what more I can expect from this over the first model.  I'm also curious if the Encore + will send to a Samsung bluetooth capable soundbar?  It should if it can send to speakers (one main reason I'm getting it).

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 17:59:45 | 03 February, 2018 »
I ordered an Encore + the other day and was curious if they have added much to it versus the original Encore (which I also own).  Is there a definitive list of media files it will play?  I've not seen them on the Grace site and was curious to what more I can expect from this over the first model.  I'm also curious if the Encore + will send to a Samsung bluetooth capable soundbar?  It should if it can send to speakers (one main reason I'm getting it).

Primarily, they added Chromecast built-in and the ability to receive (but not transmit) bluetooth. There's also more signal processing to give it a better sound.  If you're buying it to send bluetooth to a soundbar or speakers, you're going to be disappointed.  The codec and container information is at pages 43 to 46 of the Mondo Plus manual https://gracedigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/UG-GDI-WHA6001-EN-1.pdf

highaltitudes

« Reply #7 on: 16:15:44 | 04 February, 2018 »
Thanks for the info, I'm going to send it back if that's the case.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 17:16:55 | 04 February, 2018 »
You could buy a separate Bluetooth transmitter, but I guess you could do that with your existing Mondo.

highaltitudes

« Reply #9 on: 19:36:13 | 04 February, 2018 »
Yeah, but that won't work, the soundbar has no way to accept the signal without a handshake unless you're talking a REALLY fancy bluetooth transmitter with an onboard OS or something.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 20:02:52 | 04 February, 2018 »
Would this sort of set of contraptions work?  https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless/dp/B01KO1JNCA?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIWEFVMN5LKQPY6HQ&tag=xkaraoke-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01KO1JNCA

You could connect the bluetooth transmitter to the Mondo output or headphone jacks and the receiver to the soundbar via toslink.  Not very elegant, admittedly.

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #11 on: 08:46:20 | 05 February, 2018 »
Well, the answer I got is that it's something they were working on, but there was some technical problem with it...

Is it a technical problem? As I understand it it's a licencing issue. These tech standards aren't necessarily free. I don't know about Blue Tooth, but manufacturers may have to pay a fee per item, when using technology like, say Dolby or DTS or whatever. So each device they make also incur a charge to the developers of these standards.

The issue is for the manufacturer, how much is the consumer willing to pay for the convenience? Especially if that particular customer may never want to use that facility.

So, as they say, "It's complicated."
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 08:56:21 | 05 February, 2018 »
What I gathered is that the company that makes Grace Digital's software was developing software that does bluetooth transmit for another company with deeper pockets than Grace.  Once that was done, Grace could buy a license for the software and not have to soak up all the engineering costs associated with developing it.  How far along all that might be, I have no idea.