Author Topic: Greetings from Madrid (Spain)  (Read 634 times)

Astur

Greetings from Madrid (Spain)
« on: 10:51:25 | 15 November, 2017 »
Hi everybody.

In the last five years I have been enjoying a Logitech SqueezeBox, and now I am considering in passing it to one of my sons and purchasing a new one for me, similar to the SB but technologically improved. I am thinking in a portable receiver with some more audio power, WI-FI 802.11 a-b-g-n and perhaps with FM/DAB+ tuners and a possible stereo upgrading.
For the time being I am considering the Grace Digital Mondo+ or the Como Audio Amico, but perhaps there are other valid options that I have not taken into account.
I also have some doubts about the radio station aggregator that could best fit my audiophile profile (I basically tune into classical/opera stations).

Any suggestion from any of you is welcome!.

Greetings,
Astur.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Re: Greetings from Madrid (Spain)
« Reply #1 on: 11:18:49 | 15 November, 2017 »
Welcome to the forum.  The Grace Mondo + doesn't have FM/DAB+ but I understand that the European version of the Como Amico does.  On the other hand, the Como is twice the price of the Mondo +.  You may want to look at Grace's Encore +.  Although no FM/DAB+, it is stereo, has better sound and presently is for sale at a discount (but only with shipping for U.S. and Canadian customers) on Kickstarter. It will go on sale on Grace's website on Nov. 24th.

Edit:  I found out that Grace will ship to EU during their kickstarter campaign but subject to duties.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1209003580/1826919352?ref=390064&token=142ea004
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Dogmatix

« Reply #2 on: 12:31:31 | 15 November, 2017 »
Hello Astur!

The Grace radios are designed for the US market, and as Solo says, do not have DAB+. There are several brands of internet radio on the European market, mostly based either on the Frontier Silicon module and portal, or on MediaU. Some brands you may like to look at are Roberts Radio, Hama and Technisat:

Roberts Radio: https://www.robertsradio.com/uk/products/radio/smart-radio
Hama: https://de.hama.com/action/searchCtrl/search?searchMode=1&q=internetradio&srcLang=0&targetLang=1&page=2&pagesize=24&infiniteScrolling=true&fetchAllBefore=true#
Technisat:https://www.technisat.com/en_XX/DAB+-Digital-radio/352-8457/?filter

These three all use the Frontier Silicon module and portal.

There are many classical and opera stations available to these radios. Do you have any particular ones in mind?
« Last Edit: 12:34:34 | 15 November, 2017 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

flg

« Reply #3 on: 16:13:22 | 15 November, 2017 »
I would second both opinions expressed in the two previous posts.

Being in Spain i would strongly advise against importing internet radios from the US. I just went through the nightmare of returning two Sangeans to Amazon.es, and they have been held at Madrid customs for more than a month. Apparently they want to charge Amazon to import returned internet radios, unbelievable! Thank God for the excellent customer service provided by Amazon, the total purchase price, even the very expensive return shipping charges were fully refunded.

If I were in Europe, I would definitely look for something else other than Grace Digital, as I would definitely want DAB. I also find the "apparent" built quality of the Hama and Roberts units that I got superior to the Mondo+, although, as I've stated before, the Mondo+ is a fantastic internet radio, and has been totally glitch free. Even the remote from Hama, being very similar to the one provided with the Mondo+, feels better.

My new Frontier Silicon units play all the high quality AAC+ streams available from the best known classical stations, like BBC Radio 3 or WFMT Chicago. I don't see any relevant classical stations going the FLAC route as of now, many still use MP3 streams.
« Last Edit: 18:19:01 | 15 November, 2017 by flg »
Radios in use (Azores): Sangean WFT-3, M3 muvid IR 815, Grace Digital Encore+, Sangean WFR-27C (x2)
Radios in use (USA): Hama DIT2010MBT (x2), Grace Digital Mondo+, Roberts Stream 107, Sangean WFR-20
Retired radios: Sangean WFR-1 (x2)

Astur

« Reply #4 on: 09:36:00 | 16 November, 2017 »
Thank you guys, for your interesting comments.

At the beginning I thought that the Mondo+ would be the “natural” successor for the Squeezebox, but it is clear that the lack of a DAB tuner disqualifies this option for an european user, and with more reason if there is the possibility of having to pay customs duties, as Solo2 and flg said.

I was not aware about the manufacturers mentioned by Dogmatics. As they all implement the F.S. module and portal, I understand that their behaviour would be similar (depending on the chipset and the software in each case), the main difference being the accoustic quality that will depend on the power amplifier, speakers and enclosure.

Regarding the stations that I usually listen to, I can mention Otto’s Opera House, GotRadio Classical Voices, Operavore, The Opera House, Klassic Radio Opera, RAI R5 Classica, RNE Radio Clasica, Catalunya Musica, France Musique, BBC Radio 3, Venice Classic Radio, Calm Radio, Radio Swiss Classic, etc.

DAB in Spain is not very much deployed, and its coverage is currently restricted to Madrid and Barcelona urban areas. But fortunately, I live in Madrid.

As I am not in a hurry, I will probably wait a couple of month to see how the Amico is reviewed by different media. I think that this set complies with all my requirements, particularly being portable, incorporating a battery and the possibility of adding the “Amica” (a second box of loudspeakers only, available late January 2018) to have stereo at home.

Thanks again for your comments, and any other additional info that could arise, particularly regarding the Como Audio Amico.

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
« Reply #5 on: 04:27:48 | 17 November, 2017 »
« Last Edit: 04:38:05 | 17 November, 2017 by anotherbob »
ANOTHERBOB  
RECIVA RADIOS...... Bush TR2015. 2x Ministry of Sound MOSAC150..
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  REVO PIXIS RX. Squeezebox Touch. PURE One Flow. Zettaly Avy ZA-407

Astur

« Reply #6 on: 07:37:05 | 17 November, 2017 »
Thank you for all your comments and station links following my last post. I see that Revo also uses F.S. technology, so the aesthetic factor is key to the final decision making. By the way, this brand reminds me the swiss manufacturer Studer: in the 80's I was the proud owner of the magnificent Revox B 261 Synthesizer FM Tuner, that I still keep as a relic...  8).