Author Topic: Router, media servers and internet radio  (Read 767 times)

Keenite

• Change is overrated
Router, media servers and internet radio
« on: 08:34:01 | 24 April, 2021 »
I'm sure most of you were aware of this but I just stumbled onto the option of using an IR's media server to play internet radio stations via the router.  My FRITZ!Box 7430 router offers all German public radio stations, and more importantly, the ability to add stations manually. I have this working fine on my old radios but unfortunately the Hama does not have media server capabilities.
So am I safe in assuming that if I could in theory still use my two Avox radios by accessing stations I have manually added by hand on my router?
And it really is too bad that this specific Hama has no media server as I could have easily solved my station-adding problem.

drgeoff

Re: Router, media servers and internet radio
« Reply #1 on: 08:46:04 | 24 April, 2021 »
You don't appear to know the difference between a media server and a media player.

Keenite

• Change is overrated
« Reply #2 on: 09:17:59 | 24 April, 2021 »
You don't appear to know the difference between a media server and a media player.

What a helpful response.

drgeoff

« Reply #3 on: 14:09:15 | 24 April, 2021 »
If the response has made you realise that what you are complaining about is lack of a media player then you have been helped.

If you still have not realised the difference then the reason that you have not been helped is entirely down to you.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #4 on: 02:08:42 | 25 April, 2021 »
So am I safe in assuming that if I could in theory still use my two Avox radios by accessing stations I have manually added by hand on my router?
Jein. Your Avox radios should, I think, be able to play the stations provided by your Fritz!Box (I remember trying that myself with my Fritz!Box, but finding it easier just to use my internet radios as internet radios) - but at the moment, it is not safe to assume any functioning of Reciva radios after the Reciva server shutdown.

And it really is too bad that this specific Hama has no media server as I could have easily solved my station-adding problem.
Indeed.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Keenite

• Change is overrated
« Reply #5 on: 12:45:32 | 25 April, 2021 »
Jein. Your Avox radios should, I think, be able to play the stations provided by your Fritz!Box (I remember trying that myself with my Fritz!Box, but finding it easier just to use my internet radios as internet radios) - but at the moment, it is not safe to assume any functioning of Reciva radios after the Reciva server shutdown.

Indeed.

Thanks for confirming that I cannot connect to the Fritzbox internet radio feature via the Hama, that is all I really wanted to know.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #6 on: 02:07:42 | 26 April, 2021 »
Thanks for confirming that I cannot connect to the Fritzbox internet radio feature via the Hama, that is all I really wanted to know.

Comparing manuals of your Hama with that of a different, Nuvola-supporting Hama, I see that indeed, UPNP support is also missing. Your Hama can play audio files on an attached USB memory, but, it appears, not on UPNP source in your network.

When you say your radio has no media server, I think you mean it has no media client.

If I have understood you correctly, your specific Hama not only lacks Nuvola support - which is as the manual suggests - but its internal webserver appears to be of the old style, offering only certain network settings, instead of offering preset management, as described in the manual. If that is so, your radio is not behaving as the manual says it should, and I think you should contact Hama about that.

My experiments with the Fritz!Box internet radio and NAS features were a while ago - possibly with my Reciva radios, not my Frontier radios. I am in the UK at the moment; when I get back in a few weeks, I'll have another look at that.

« Last Edit: 02:12:42 | 26 April, 2021 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

oldeman

« Reply #7 on: 03:36:16 | 26 April, 2021 »
My experiments with the Fritz!Box internet radio and NAS features were a while ago - possibly with my Reciva radios, not my Frontier radios. I am in the UK at the moment; when I get back in a few weeks, I'll have another look at that.

It works when the client has UPnP/DNLA capabilities, but it has several disadvantages:
- you have to find out the URL's.
- you have to go through several windows to find your station
- no presets
- after starting up the radio, no last station will play
I set it up in the transfer period from vTuner to Nuvola, but I do not use it further.