Author Topic: Radio-4 Stuttering/Repeated Words  (Read 320 times)

Pablo

Radio-4 Stuttering/Repeated Words
« on: 11:48:15 | 14 August, 2021 »
For the past two weeks or so I've been getting this odd repeating of words every few seconds or so on the Radio-4 stream. The announcer sounds normal for about four seconds and then there is a repeat of two of three words; and then the stream picks up normally again. Four or five seconds later, rinse and repeat. I hesitated reporting here earlier thinking that this was just a temporary glitch. Alas, ..

I'm listening on a Sangean WFR-28 via Frontier Silicon.  Not getting this on BBCWS or other stations. Perhaps the radio gods don't want me eavesdropping on home service broadcasts.

Any ideas?

peterkeet

Re: Radio-4 Stuttering/Repeated Words
« Reply #1 on: 20:24:09 | 16 August, 2021 »
Checked it on my Frontier based Hama dit2100msbt: no problem with BBC Radio 4 on this device.
The following users thanked this post: Pablo

blueberryman

« Reply #2 on: 04:31:19 | 17 August, 2021 »
All BBC working fine on my Frontier based Roberts 94i, but most BBC  stations (128k) are doing a lot of buffering on my Reciva based Roberts WM201, about once every couple of minutes.  World Service (56k) is solid though.

I'm in the UK on 41mbps fibre.    No other preset stations on either set are having problems.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #3 on: 08:27:51 | 17 August, 2021 »
I have just checked on my Sangean WFR-29C (which is basically the two-speaker colour-display version of the 28) and on a Technisat DigitRadio 450, and I get the same effect as Pablo describes on both radios. I do not know why this effect is present, but I do know this:

1. Frontier provide MP3 and AAC streams for Radio 4. (BBC was going to discontinue the MP3 streams a few years ago, but seem to have forgotten that.)
2. My other Frontier-based radios are more recent than these two, and use the AAC stream without the described effect.
3. My WFR-29C and DigitRadio 450 are older* radios and cannot play AAC, so they use the MP3 stream.

So there seems to be a problem in the way some Frontier radios process the BBC Radio 4 MP3 stream. Whether the fault lies with the BBC's encoding or the older Frontier software's decoding, I cannot say.

* Indeed, my 29C has software level V2.6.17, and the DigitRadio has V2.5.15, which are rather old, and yet these are the latest versions available for these models. Sangean and Technisat appear to have no interest in providing updates for older models. If I recall correctly, AAC support came in with version V2.10 a few years ago. (Also, the rubberised knobs on the Sangean are degrading, and feel rather tacky / sticky, as often happens with rubberised surfaces with age.)
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #4 on: 10:48:37 | 17 August, 2021 »
No problem with BBC radio 4 on my Hama tuner in the US.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

peterkeet

« Reply #5 on: 13:41:14 | 17 August, 2021 »
I checked it on my (frontier based) Medion  p85023 (2013): BBC Radio 4 has only a hickup after a few seconds. I see the buffer reloading (quickly). After that it continues without these hickups. Think we discussed this kind of hickups with BBC stations back in April this year.

The radio is on ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0027_V2.5.15.EX51267-1A111

btw: this radio is still in use everyday.

Pablo

« Reply #6 on: 19:29:29 | 19 August, 2021 »
Thanks to all who commented above. I found by selecting Radio-4 LW (instead of the generic Radio-4) that the hiccups are reduced in number and are far less annoying.

anything