Author Topic: Mondo Plus remote control: volume control poor design or is mine defective?  (Read 210 times)

TuneNut

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 52.0.2743.116 Chrome 52.0.2743.116
I like the look and feel of the remote that comes with the Mondo Plus, but I wonder if I have a defective remote or if it was designed this way. To increase or decrease volume, I have to press the up or down arrow multiple times (incrementally for each change in volume level). So to change the volume level considerably takes 5 or more presses of an arrow key. On the Grace / Mondo remote, you can simply press and hold the arrow button for as long as you want the volume level to continue to increase or decrease (so, one press and hold rather than multiple pressings).

Another issue with the Mondo Plus is the on/off button on the radio itself. To turn the radio on or off, I have to press and hold the button. If you hold it too briefly, the radio will not turn on. If you press and hold the on/off button too long, the radio will reboot.  With the Grace / Mondo radios, a quick press of the on/off button is all it takes to switch on or off.  Has anyone else experienced this, or do I have a defective radio?

Thanks.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.90 Chrome 60.0.3112.90
I haven't bothered to use the Mondo Plus's remote so I have no comment on the volume adjustment.

Yes, the on-off button on the radio is a little spooky, but a single, quick finger tap does the trick.  Before the latest firmware update, it took 2 taps before it would do anything.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

TuneNut

• Browser:
I haven't bothered to use the Mondo Plus's remote so I have no comment on the volume adjustment.

Yes, the on-off button on the radio is a little spooky, but a single, quick finger tap does the trick.  Before the latest firmware update, it took 2 taps before it would do anything.

Thanks for mentioning that the on-off button took 2 taps before the firmware update. I experienced the same but didn't realize it was the update that had fixed it.

Are you using a different remote? I wonder if the older Grace remote will work with the Mondo Plus.

If you have not used the new remote and if no one else has commented on this yet, can you give it a try and let me know if you experience the same problem with volume control? I'm trying to figure out if I have a defective remote.

Thanks.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • Browser:
Ok, I broke out the remote.  Yes, for each click, the volume increases up or down, incrementally. If you look at the display, apparently one click moves the volume up or down by one bar.  Continuously pressing the vol + or vol - button doesn't cause the volume to increase or diminish continuously.  So your remote isn't defective; that's how it's made.  I have no idea why they decided to do it that way.  Personally, I don't find it too burdensome to click up and down on the button with my thumb a few times, but I guess if you're used to doing a thing in a certain way and that way no longer gets the anticipated result, it could be a little irritating.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

TuneNut

• Browser:
Thanks for checking. It's a problem for people with arthritis, RA, RSI or other painful hand conditions.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • Browser:
True.  I hadn't considered that.  On the smartphone remotes the volume adjustment is a simple slider.

Dogmatix

• Browser:
  • Firefox 54.0 Firefox 54.0
As far as I understand these things, the continuous vs. incremental volume button behaviour is not a "feature" of the remote control, but rather of the remotely controlled device, so it could, in theory, be changed by a change in the firmware.
« Last Edit: 13:21:26 | 15 August, 2017 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010 & DIR3100.

A. Black

• Browser:
Thanks for checking. It's a problem for people with arthritis, RA, RSI or other painful hand conditions.

You could consider getting a programmable remote and program a button to increase the volume by several bars at once and a second button to decrease it by the same amount, say.  I don't have a Mondo but I did get a programmable remote for my internet radio and programmed several extra buttons to suit me.

Greg

• Browser:
Grace digital is looking at modifying the remote volume level in a future release.

anything