Author Topic: Roberts WM-201 power on issue  (Read 1102 times)

captainglassback

Roberts WM-201 power on issue
« on: 15:15:14 | 17 July, 2016 »
Hello folks.  I have two Roberts WM-201 both running the Legacy firmware.  One of them now fails to start up.  There is a brief blue flash on the screen then nothing.  (Have swapped power leads around and still won't work).  Anyone had this issue before?  I normally leave the radios off at the mains as they sometimes switch on on their own!!

drgeoff

Re: Roberts WM-201 power on issue
« Reply #1 on: 16:46:40 | 17 July, 2016 »
There are no user serviceable parts inside Reciva based radios.  Other than power supply type faults most non-booting problems are the result of failed Barracuda modules.  These are generally fairly easy to swap out but for end-users there is no known source of working replacements except from another radio.

If you have not already tried a factory reset that is worth a go.  Unplug the PSU.  Press and hold the Select button on the radio and connect the PSU again.  Do not release the Select button until "Factory reset complete" appears on the display or 30 seconds have elapsed.

If that does not help (and to be honest I expect it wil not) depending on yoour abilities you could swap the Barracuda modules between your two radios.  That will tell you if that is the problem.

captainglassback

« Reply #2 on: 10:35:21 | 21 July, 2016 »
Many thanks DrGeoff.  I managed to get the pale blue background light to say on  but then after further attempts I am back to the one blue flicker then nothing!  I note that there is one on Ebay with the same problem!  I will wait for the other one to pack up before I take them apart!  Thanks again.

Crystalset

« Reply #3 on: 02:27:46 | 22 July, 2016 »
I wonder how many Barracuda modules failed on this model. My radio failed twice & repaired by Roberts service dept. on both occasions. Last pcb replacement  was  in August 2010, no problems since.

drgeoff

« Reply #4 on: 09:30:55 | 22 July, 2016 »
My own theory (and it is only a theory) is that the vast majority of module failures are failures of one or more of the solder joints between the Samsung processor chip and the PCB. IMO Ball Grid Array chip packaging is a terrible idea from a reliability viewpoint.

My theory also includes the green PCB versions to be much more prone to failure. The radio brands or more accurately the Far East assembly lines that put the radios together did not manufacture the Barracuda modules. Reciva arranged the manufacture of these in bulk batches, almost certainly by a single manufacturer for each batch. Maybe the same manufacturer for all the different colour PCB versions. For whatever reason, the process technology used at the time of the green ones was not to the same standard as employed on later ones.

Given that the Barracuda modules would have been bought in, it is unlikely that any of the brands or models has a higher failure rate of modules than another brand or model using modules from the same production run.

I repeat that all this is conjecture on my part. I am sure that Reciva know a great deal about the failures of Barracuda modules and how the rates differ between production runs. However I don't expect that they will divulge that knowledge to us end users.
The following users thanked this post: Crystalset