Author Topic: New but old  (Read 185 times)

Phycks

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 55.0 Firefox 55.0
New but old
« on: 09:12:15 | 21 September, 2017 »
I'm new here.  I've been listening to Internet radio -- on my computer -- as long as radio has been on the Internet, over 25 years now.   I've listened to international radio via shortwave for much longer than that. 

In the past six or eight years, I've owned three different models of dedicated Internet radio sets.  One is a tiny SVP set that easily fits in a shirt pocket.  It is very convenient but no longer usable for more than just a few stations, and I've never been able to get hold of the operators of its aggregator to find out why.  Another is a fine set I brought in from the Chinese manufacturer;  it has served my kitchen quite well ever since.  Its aggregator (MediaU) is still operating.  And just recently I bought the Crane CCWiFi which is the best of the three for simple usability (though, unlike the Chinese set, to get good sound I need to connect it to outboard speakers).

I listen to radio primarily for information but music is a strong second.  I don't care for 98% of the stations that appear on my Internet sets -- they are just like the commercial stations I can get locally on the AM or FM bands.  I prefer listening to non-commercial stations, and especially those that are governmentally owned or funded.  (Just the same, it was largely commercial stations that I listened to during the past two big Caribbean hurricane emergencies.)

I'm in eastern Newfoundland.  I have just retired after forty years of being a workingman.

castalla

• Administrator
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.90 Chrome 60.0.3112.90
Re: New but old
« Reply #1 on: 16:00:22 | 21 September, 2017 »
Welcome!

I guess you are connected to the BBC services, then?
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

Phycks

• Browser:
« Reply #2 on: 07:43:40 | 25 September, 2017 »
I regularly listen to the BBC-WS and Radio Four.  (The past few months, though, Radio Four on my Chinese set has been almost unusable because it cuts out every minute or so for a couple of seconds, until it reloads.  MediaU's only suggestion was to increase the buffer size, which made no difference at all.)
« Last Edit: 07:47:31 | 25 September, 2017 by Phycks »

castalla

• Administrator
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.90 Chrome 60.0.3112.90
« Reply #3 on: 15:43:50 | 25 September, 2017 »
There are problems with national BBC stations on aggregators (Tunein can suffer the same fate).   The BBC have largely switched to HLS and DASH streams (apart from whatever they provide to Tunein, etc.

What does your Crane offer?

Phycks

• Browser:
« Reply #4 on: 16:23:48 | 03 October, 2017 »
Sorry for the delay in answering!

The Crane (a Reciva system) gets both the BBC WS and BBC4 without those interruptions.

In the past week, by the way, the Chinese set's reception of BBCWS has started breaking up in the same way!  Sigh.

castalla

• Administrator
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 61.0.3163.91 Chrome 61.0.3163.91
« Reply #5 on: 17:37:41 | 03 October, 2017 »
All these services suffer from continuous 'improvements' - seems the old adage of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' has lost its currency.

I've switched almost exclusively to Logitech Media Server which works 99.9% to a variety of players.  My backup system is Amazon's Echo players for live radio.

The following users thanked this post: Phycks

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 61.0.3163.100 Chrome 61.0.3163.100
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #6 on: 13:11:56 | 06 October, 2017 »
I've virtually given up... except I'm now almost exclusively using Amazon Alexa/Echo for all listening. It's not easily possible to avoid the BBC's geo-blocking, but I'm not a fan of F1 or The Premier Division, so it's not a big deal.

I also gave up my own LiquidLounge internet radio station because I found if I set up Pandora@Alexa/Echo it would play all the same tunes, plus the odd new one I never heard before.

Alexa now also plays multi-room so it does everything I want for casual listening.

My hifi is still pretty esoteric and sounds fantastic, but I could write a book about that... Which I won't ...
Alan | Oh! That British Bloke
Listening in Navarumsunk, New Jersey, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above-average
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Nexus 7 | Galaxy S6

castalla

• Administrator
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 61.0.3163.91 Chrome 61.0.3163.91
« Reply #7 on: 13:48:31 | 06 October, 2017 »
Sonos just added alexa control - not really game-ready but they are obviously trying to head off Apple and Google before Xmas.