Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 2426 times)

zeewier

• Administrator
Podcasts
« on: 07:26:43 | 30 January, 2016 »
In the past station websites like that of the Dutch public stations used to advertise podcast URLs that would work when added to the My Podcasts section of My Stuff. Not any more. The podcasts are available though on iTunes, but when you extract the podcast URL and add it to My Podcasts, it never works on a Reciva radio.

Is there a way to convert those URLs to a format that Reciva can handle? My Reciva radios do have a Podcasts item in their menu, but podcasts of programmes produced by Dutch public broadcaster NPO are not included.

PS. This item should probably be moved to the Podcasts section!
« Last Edit: 07:30:02 | 30 January, 2016 by zeewier »

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: 08:40:07 | 30 January, 2016 »
I don't think it's just Reciva having problems with podcasts.

I generally use an aggregator to collect podcasts. It used to be that podcast information was contained in an RSS file which the aggregator would search for updates and download the appropriate sound file.

More and more podcasts are being being disseminated through the lamentable iTunes or apps like SoundCloud and don't publish RSS files, which is a bit of a shame if you're an old fashioned guy!
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 08:32:00 | 03 February, 2016 »
I just noticed that the My Podcasts item has disappeared from the My Stuff section on all my radios. When did this happen? My podcasts are still present on radios.reciva.com.

Dogmatix

« Reply #3 on: 09:30:26 | 03 February, 2016 »
My "My Podcasts" are (still) present and correct on my Reciva radios.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #4 on: 10:49:31 | 03 February, 2016 »
Mine are where they always were, also.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 14:15:29 | 03 February, 2016 »
On the Avox Petite and the TMA1 My Podcasts reappeared after a reboot but not on the Avox Color (screen shot attached). How strange.

dh

• Former Reciva Engineer
« Reply #6 on: 01:58:53 | 08 March, 2016 »
On the Avox Petite and the TMA1 My Podcasts reappeared after a reboot but not on the Avox Color (screen shot attached). How strange.

Is this still the case for you?
Views my own, not my previous employer's. I'll help where I can but this is not an official support channel.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 02:49:20 | 08 March, 2016 »

Sorry, I should have posted an update. I had been removing items from My Podcasts on the portal and as I found out, if My Podcasts is empty the My Podcasts item does not appear in the radio's menu after reboot. As soon as a podcast is added My Podcasts reappears. Maybe this has been known for a long time but for me it was a new discovery!

dh

• Former Reciva Engineer
« Reply #8 on: 06:22:25 | 08 March, 2016 »

Sorry, I should have posted an update. I had been removing items from My Podcasts on the portal and as I found out, if My Podcasts is empty the My Podcasts item does not appear in the radio's menu after reboot. As soon as a podcast is added My Podcasts reappears. Maybe this has been known for a long time but for me it was a new discovery!

Yep, this has always been the case. No Podcasts saved = No My Podcasts menu.

I've been tempted to change that so it brings up a message like "No Podcasts stored - go to the website to add some" but never done it. The logic being that people will find it and make better use of it if they can see it on their radios. Maybe on a rainy day.
Views my own, not my previous employer's. I'll help where I can but this is not an official support channel.