Author Topic: Improvements to My Podcasts  (Read 1953 times)

dh

• Former Reciva Engineer
Improvements to My Podcasts
« on: 07:44:00 | 08 March, 2016 »
Hello all

We are currently upgrading some old servers and services. One of these is the "My Podcasts" service.

Are there any volunteers who would be willing to try the new service and give us some feedback, before we launch it to everyone?

If so, please PM me your serial number, send it to info@reciva.com (Subject: My Podcasts Beta Volunteer) or reply below.

Thanks!

dh @ Reciva
Views my own, not my previous employer's. I'll help where I can but this is not an official support channel.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Re: Improvements to My Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: 09:33:23 | 08 March, 2016 »
Hmm.  I was having a hard time getting "my podcasts" to work a couple of hours ago.  I was blaming my router, then the radio, but maybe the issue was upstream.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

dh

• Former Reciva Engineer
« Reply #2 on: 09:55:20 | 08 March, 2016 »
Hmm.  I was having a hard time getting "my podcasts" to work a couple of hours ago.  I was blaming my router, then the radio, but maybe the issue was upstream.

Nope, no changes yet. You're seeing the reason we're making the changes - problem is these old (original) services live on creaky servers which don't do well under load - when the servers get busy (usually when the USA wakes up) then there aren't enough resources for the older services - hence the imminent upgrade.

We rely on getting, parsing and transforming the feed in less than 6 seconds, which can be difficult when busy. Moving My Podcasts to the new servers gives us server-side caching and pagination of the results so it will be noticeably faster and more reliable.
Views my own, not my previous employer's. I'll help where I can but this is not an official support channel.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #3 on: 10:07:42 | 08 March, 2016 »
I'm all for less-rickety servers.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

dh

• Former Reciva Engineer
« Reply #4 on: 09:05:42 | 10 March, 2016 »
So are we.

Many thanks to all respondents - I'll be in touch next week.

Cheers

anything