Author Topic: Question re IPdio Tune  (Read 3844 times)

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
Question re IPdio Tune
« on: 10:26:44 | 17 December, 2012 »
Can someone with experience of the IPdio Tune tell me whether or not it has transport capability with BBC OD content please?
ANOTHERBOB  
RECIVA RADIOS...... Bush TR2015. 2x Ministry of Sound MOSAC150..
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  REVO PIXIS RX. Squeezebox Touch. PURE One Flow. Zettaly Avy ZA-407

Dogmatix

• Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 17.0 Firefox 17.0
Re: Question re IPdio Tune
« Reply #1 on: 11:50:16 | 17 December, 2012 »
Can someone with experience of the IPdio Tune tell me whether or not it has transport capability with BBC OD content please?

Well, mine do - but they both have the beta firmware; whether the Tune does it 'out-of-the-box' I cannot say.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

anotherbob

• Browser:
« Reply #2 on: 14:22:53 | 17 December, 2012 »
Well, mine do - but they both have the beta firmware; whether the Tune does it 'out-of-the-box' I cannot say.
Thanks for that. I read in another thread that the BETA firmware is being made available again to those who are already registered. So I assume that I would be able to upgrade to it. I read that it's all done with tickets now, but it does get done eventually?
ANOTHERBOB  
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  REVO PIXIS RX. Squeezebox Touch. PURE One Flow. Zettaly Avy ZA-407

Dogmatix

• Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 10.0.6 Firefox 10.0.6
« Reply #3 on: 23:13:16 | 17 December, 2012 »
Thanks for that. I read in another thread that the BETA firmware is being made available again to those who are already registered. So I assume that I would be able to upgrade to it. I read that it's all done with tickets now, but it does get done eventually?

Yes, the new procedure does work, but not as immediately as the old one. When you change the Legacy Enhancement Firmware status under My Radios and click Update, you get a ticket number, and when the ticket is processed (which takes a few days - probably longer over Christmas) you get an e-mail (at the address you registered your Reciva account with), and then you can ask your radio to upgrade. The beta firmware level is still v257-a-865-a-476.

However, so far, no-one has actually confirmed by experiment that a new radio registered to an existing beta programme member's account will have the Legacy Enhanced Firmware option. Logically, in theory it should....
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

anotherbob

• Browser:
« Reply #4 on: 04:17:54 | 18 December, 2012 »
Logic and theory is it  :-\
Well after an exchange of PMs with Reciva Toby I've ordered an IPdio Tune (Play.com £112) and a Roberts WM201 (Amazon £99) to replace my Squeezebox devices which despite lots of help from Castalla et al continue to be unacceptably flaky.
ANOTHERBOB  

castalla

• Administrator
  • Browser:
  • Opera 12.11 Opera 12.11
« Reply #5 on: 04:41:54 | 18 December, 2012 »
Sorry to hear about the SB flakiness .... can't say I've experienced the same recently.  In fact I'm running a RaspPi as both a server and player, and also using Squeezeplayer app on my Archos radio.  So we now have: a Touch, a SB Radio, an Archos SB, and a Pi SB player all running off the Pi server!  I can also run the Squeezeplayer app on my cheap tabllet, if and when appropriate.

Theoretically, it should be possible to sync the whole lot ... but that's not important to us.

Anyway, good luck with IPdio ...
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

Dogmatix

• Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: 05:57:50 | 18 December, 2012 »
... I've ordered an IPdio Tune (Play.com £112) and a Roberts WM201 (Amazon £99)

Well, please let us know if your 'My Radios' gives you the beta option when you've registered your new radios. And could you please check which FW they come with and if they support BBC OD transport control before upgrading them, as the question has come up a few times recently, and is of interest to potential buyers who are not in the beta programme.

anotherbob

• Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 18.0.1025.166 Chrome 18.0.1025.166
« Reply #7 on: 06:24:13 | 18 December, 2012 »
... I've ordered an IPdio Tune (Play.com £112) and a Roberts WM201 (Amazon £99)

Well, please let us know if your 'My Radios' gives you the beta option when you've registered your new radios. And could you please check which FW they come with and if they support BBC OD transport control before upgrading them, as the question has come up a few times recently, and is of interest to potential buyers who are not in the beta programme.
I will be glad to. I expect I will have to wait till after the festive season for an uninterrupted period needed to set things up.
ANOTHERBOB  

anotherbob

• Browser:
« Reply #8 on: 04:19:39 | 21 December, 2012 »
My WM201 arrived today, so here is episode one....
The original firmware was 257-a-297-a-007 (hope I've copied this right)
The radio woud not connect to my router saying "NETWORK NOT SUPPORTED".
The Roberts helpline explained that as received the WM201 does not support "N" routers, but if I connected by LAN and upgraded the firmware I would be OK.
This procedure went OK and the new firmware is 257-a-756-a-164-a-002.
The radio connected to my network OK, but there is no transport on BBC OD content.
I contacted the helpline again and they said that the function does not work since the BBC stopped streaming in REAL format.
I have registered the radio with RECIVA and got my ticket number for LEGACY ENHANCEMENT upgrade.
I will now wait and see if this enables transport.

However it seems that people buying a WM201 who are not already registered for BETA will not have transport on BBC OD content.
I will now wait for the DNT IPdio to come.
ANOTHERBOB  

Dogmatix

• Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
« Reply #9 on: 05:08:56 | 21 December, 2012 »
Thanks for the update.

Good to know that Roberts still offer support, and are well-informed about the OD problem.

Also nice to know that radios newly registered to a beta programme members account can get the beta.