Author Topic: Virgin Media Superhub!!  (Read 6091 times)

Becky T

Virgin Media Superhub!!
« on: 14:27:54 | 30 January, 2013 »
Hi Everyone

Found you via this thread here :-

http://forum.reciva.com/read.php?3,70226,70335

I have pretty much the same problem.  Set up the new Superhub today from VM.  I've had my trusty old IR100 for many a year now, it never worked  that well on linksys but since having a Netgear router it's been great until today!!  Always been a VM cable user.

To cut a long story short for better or worse I now have the Superhub because it takes a faster internet speed and my trusty old modem I've had for years has gone I'm regretting it already!!

All I get when I try and tune the radio in is "network not supported".  I tried disabling the wi-fi on the superhub and reconnecting the Netgear router but that was easier said than done and ended up not being able to get back into the router again at all and had no wifi internet connection unless I used an ethernet cable and even then the superhub was not responding.  So had to phone India !!!  Who reset me remotely erm.

Please be gentle with me because although I'm not totally a novice I'm not an expert on the radio, we've just happily used it for years and never really had a problem.   I've already checked it's not on the highest speed connection so it's not that and the other stuff mentioned in the thread above. 

Any help to get the radio up and running again would be much appreciatd.   Thank you.

Becky 
« Last Edit: 15:18:29 | 30 January, 2013 by Becky T »

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Re: Virgin Media Superhub!!
« Reply #1 on: 14:44:23 | 30 January, 2013 »
I have neither that radio nor that router, but you may find some help here:

http://logikir100.tripod.com/Logik.htm#Known Design flaws
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Becky T

« Reply #2 on: 15:21:17 | 30 January, 2013 »
Many thanks Solo2 not sure where to start with that link hopefully someone will know something more specific.

I gave the wrong link in my original post I've amended it now so hopefully it might make more sense.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 02:19:07 | 31 January, 2013 »
Presumably you are running the Superhub with default settings. Clearly, it is using a wifi protocol that your IR100 cannot handle. I don't have an IR100 but I do have a Superhub although I have switched off the wifi function so it is running in "modem mode".

The first thing to check is the firmware of the radio. Have you ever checked for firmware updates (via the Configuration menu)? What is the current version?

Next, try the following. On a PC, go to the Superhub's configuration page on http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1
Log in and go to Advanced Settings > Wireless Radio. The Wireless Mode will probably be set at "Up to 144MBps", change this to "Up to 54Mbps". Click Apply. I don't know if this will force a reboot of the Superhub (as I said I don't use the Superhub's wifi), if not remove the power plug for about half a minute and restart. Let the Superhub reconnect to the VM network (allow 1-2 minutes).  Position the IR100 close to the Superhub, reboot and see if it can find and connect to the Superhub's wifi network. If not then we can try something else.
« Last Edit: 04:26:51 | 31 January, 2013 by zeewier »

drgeoff

« Reply #4 on: 04:31:13 | 31 January, 2013 »
I'll second zeewier's advice.  Although I don't have an IR100, I do have an IRMA1 which is also a Dixon's Logik model of almost the same vintage.  I'm 99% certain that there was an update for the IR100 to support newer Wi-Fi.  I thought it was a WPA security mode issue but I'm not at all sure about that.

Becky T

« Reply #5 on: 07:36:09 | 31 January, 2013 »
Massive thanks guys :)

Changing it to 54Mbps worked straight away, put in the key code and bingo!!!

So don't need to put Netgear modem on now as it's working fine with Superhub .....well chuffed really appreciate your help and advice.

I posted a similar query on the Virgin Media forum so will pass on the information.

Many thanks again my Hubby will be well pleased as he so loves his internet radio in the kitchen, listens to it all the time :)
« Last Edit: 07:43:33 | 31 January, 2013 by Becky T »

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 07:59:58 | 31 January, 2013 »
Good to hear.
However, don't throw away your Netgear router just yet - you may need it in the future when you've discovered that the Superhub's wifi signal is not very strong and does not reach every room in your house. It could become an issue especially with your IR100 which is known to require a relatively strong signal in order to work reliably. In that case connect the router to the Superhub by ethernet cable (or via a homeplug connection) and put the Superhub in modem mode. That's what I have done (I am even using two wifi routers acting as access points) and coverage in this Victorian building here with solid stone walls is excellent (including the back garden!).

PS. Now that the radio is connected to the outside world again, I would recommend doing a firmware check, just in case there is a newer and improved version.
« Last Edit: 08:02:25 | 31 January, 2013 by zeewier »

Becky T

« Reply #7 on: 09:02:12 | 31 January, 2013 »
Thanks zeewier taken your advice and done a firmware update which took about 5 minutes then I had to log into the network again but all working ok  Radio 2 is happily playing away on IR again  ;D

I will hang on to the router, sound advice but the new Superhub is a Netgear anyway, to be honest going around the house checkiing with my mobile the wi-fi signal seems exactly the same as it was before, the odd place where it drops down to one bar but in the same places there has always been a drop.   The IR is right underneath the superhub which is located upstairs and seems to have a full wi-fi signal.

The problem I had yesterday was not being able to get my old netgear router to work with the superhub in modem mode, would still like to know what I was doing wrong in case I do need to use it again but not sure what it was?.  The Netgear connection showed on my laptop and connected but it wasn't connecting to the internet through the superhub.  Then I didn't know the other IP address to get back in again LOL or where the re-set button was for the superhub, hence the call to Inida!!

Becky T

« Reply #8 on: 09:21:50 | 31 January, 2013 »
zeewier tried twice to reply to PM but it's not in my sent folder, maybe I'm not allowed being a "newbie"?

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 09:37:35 | 31 January, 2013 »
zeewier tried twice to reply to PM but it's not in my sent folder, maybe I'm not allowed being a "newbie"?

Got your PMs and sent a reply! All sorted.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 09:56:43 | 31 January, 2013 »

In case you haven't already done so, you can save your "sent" messages by going to "my messages," then "change settings" under the preferences tab, then checking (um, ticking) the box that says "Save a copy of each personal message in my sent items by default."
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Becky T

« Reply #11 on: 11:02:02 | 31 January, 2013 »
Thanks Solo, not used to having to tick box to save messages  ;D

tadworth506

« Reply #12 on: 09:54:00 | 10 March, 2013 »
I had my old ntl modem replaced about a year ago by Virgin for a Superhub. I was always under the impression that the IRs didn't like "n" and on some makes of radios could actually destroy them. For that reason I turned off the wi-fi on the Superhub and routed through my existing Belkin 54g. Recently the Superhub packed up (less than a year old) so Virgin engineer replaced it and (by default) left the wi-fi on. To my surprise my internet radios are working on the "n" signal OK. The setting on the Superhub is left on "up to 144mb". I am also getting the benefit of faster downloads on my laptop from the wi-fi.
So..... the IRs do work on "n" signal. I assume that I'm not going to get any long term problems in leaving it like this
IR100's....OXX Digital...IRMA1...BT internet radio....Freecom Musicpal(v.tuner)...tranciva (frontier silicon)... Acoustic Solutions Net008..Roberts stream 83i... No reason at all why I need so many...and now a Pure One Flow so I again can listen to BBC Listen Again.Also have Zettaly Avy

Dogmatix

« Reply #13 on: 10:28:09 | 10 March, 2013 »
So..... the IRs do work on "n" signal.

It is only the early Reciva radios (e.g. AE, Imp, Imp Adapt and one or two others) that freeze up in the presence of an 'n' signal.
It is only some of the most recent Reciva radios (from Avox and Grace) that can actually communicate using the 'n' protocol.
The rest will work if 'n' is active, but they need 'b' and/or 'g' to communicate with.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 10:30:31 | 10 March, 2013 »
I thought only one older model was "n intolerant."  You should be ok, unless you notice your parakeet acting strangely.  ;)