Author Topic: Mondo Elite refuses to play podcast  (Read 146 times)

zeewier

• Administrator
Mondo Elite refuses to play podcast
« on: 05:31:15 | 02 October, 2021 »
Suddenly my Grace Mondo Elite refuses to play one of my favourite podcasts, it reports a problem with an expired SSL certificate. However when the URL is pasted into VLC the podcast is perfectly playable. The iOS Podcasts app doesn't have any issues either. So it looks like the Mondo actually checks whether or not SSL certificates are valid whereas RSS readers such as VLC (and possibly others) can't be bothered. Obviously the solution is for the manager of the podcast website to renew the SSL certificate (I've sent them a message), but I was wondering whether other owners of the Grace Mondo have experienced something similar.

Paul Webster

Re: Mondo Elite refuses to play podcast
« Reply #1 on: 00:12:21 | 03 October, 2021 »
If the web site is using a Let's Encrypt certificate then the issue is probably repeated to an old cross signing root certificate that expired on 1st October.
The solution is to update the certificate bundle held on the radio ... or find a way to disable the SSL verification.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #2 on: 07:09:42 | 06 October, 2021 »
Grace Digital is working on the problem:

"Greg Fadul wrote:

> This site explains a bit what just happened and why we can’t play some stations but play most.  Fix coming.  Just another example of how expensive it is to develop / support radios …
>
> https://letsencrypt.org/docs/dst-root-ca-x3-expiration-september-2021/
>
> Thanks, Greg"

Radios:  2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT
The following users thanked this post: zeewier

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #3 on: 09:13:36 | 06 October, 2021 »
Here's Grace Digital's public statement:

Hey all,  I’ve sent each of you various emails regarding the recent flurry of customers reporting various stations and podcast not working.   The article below explains what happened with this  world wide issue that occurred on September 30th.  Basically web sites that rely on a very old security certificate wont work with out radio. There are two way to fix the issue, get the radio station to update their certificates and/or we update ours in our radio to work with these now outdated certificates on various sites.  To provide the best possible service we will update our radio. We are working on it now and hopefully get the new software release out early next week. 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/fortinet-shopify-others-report-issues-after-root-ca-certificate-from-lets-encrypt-expires/

"There are a couple of ways to solve this depending on what the exact problem is, but it boils down to: The service/website needs to update the certificate chain they are serving to clients or, the client talking to the website/service needs an update," Helme explained.

Regards,

Greg
Radios:  2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT
The following users thanked this post: zeewier