Author Topic: Sharpfin - explain it to me  (Read 3721 times)

macplaxton

Sharpfin - explain it to me
« on: 08:25:05 | 02 March, 2015 »
I think I an idea what it's about, please confirm/correct as necessary.

It's a 3rd party firmware project to play around the firmware on Reciva radios.
It's specifically for Barracuda modules (at present)
To install it you dupe the radio into phoning home, but block it from doing so and instead divert it to install a patch instead from your own computer.
Once done, it will have a backdoor to the set which can be viewed from a web browser.
With that you can change some of the files inside round to do something else or additionally.
Tevion 5404 & Roberts Revival iStream

Dogmatix

Re: Sharpfin - explain it to me
« Reply #1 on: 08:48:34 | 02 March, 2015 »
"It's a 3rd party firmware project to play around the firmware on Reciva radios."
It started out as a project to write new firmware for Reciva radios. It never got anywhere near that far - but it did leave us with a way to install different official firmwares unofficially, and to inspect and edit certain configuration files.

"It's specifically for Barracuda modules (at present)"
Not exactly - it only works on firmware up to v257. It does not work on v265 or v266 (you can install it, but it just doesn't work - any of it). Whether this is by chance or by design, we do not know. The Sharpfin developers had lost interest by then, so no-one developed it further for the later firmwares, which is a great pity. The bit with 'only Barracuda' simply comes about because Stingray radios all have v265/v266, so Stingrays are not Sharpfinnable. But Barradudæ with v265/v266 aren't, either.

"To install it you dupe the radio into phoning home, but block it from doing so and instead divert it to install a patch instead from your own computer."
Yep.

"Once done, it will have a backdoor to the set which can be viewed from a web browser."
Yes - it installs a web server, which allows you to control the radio from a browser, and to inspect the config files. It also allows access via Telnet, and editing with vi.

"With that you can change some of the files inside round to do something else or additionally."
Yeah........ that's the coolest bit. My favourite edits were to get a non-Avox radio to use the Avox remote (possibly the best remote for Reciva radios), increase the number of presets and the means of accessing them, add a preset-list function, add 'wifi-stays-on-in-standby' (for radios whose hardware will do that).
Of course, some brands didn't like us adding features they carefully left out. Maybe they put pressure on Reciva to block Sharpfin in later (V265/v266) firmwares. Who knows?
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.
The following users thanked this post: macplaxton

macplaxton

« Reply #2 on: 09:40:54 | 02 March, 2015 »
Many thanks for the long and short of it.

Now what's the main difference between a Barracuda and a Stingray? (All I know is that one is a Plymouth and one is a Corvette  ;D ).Newer/biggest/better/shinier chips?

Dogmatix

« Reply #3 on: 10:54:19 | 02 March, 2015 »
The Stingray module is longer than the Barracuda, and one of the connectors is also longer (more pins). The extra space allows for various combinations of onboard FM/DAB/DAB+ circuitry, but I have so far only met one Reciva radio that offered DAB - the Magicbox Cleaver. Unfortunately, the Cleaver offers only DAB - not DAB+, which is what is used here in Germany. I don't know if it would be just a matter of a slight change in the config, or if the onboard DAB circuit is DAB only, i.e. not DAB+ capable. If only it were Sharpfinnable.....

The extra pins (and the extra length) means that Barracuda and Stingray modules are not interchangeable.

I suppose you have been to http://www.sharpfin.org/, and seen http://www.sharpfin.org/index.php?title=Hardware?
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

macplaxton

« Reply #4 on: 07:01:50 | 04 March, 2015 »
Thanks, in the downtime here I've done some more reading. What about the "mythical" Reciva "Mako" module. Is it used in anything? I only see passing reference to it.

I've had a further read up on sharpfin. Tevion now has the backdoor installed (base 0.5) and the Enhancement pack v2.0 done. Beyond that, resisted the temptation to fiddle with it.

sharpfin_ep2 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Might just dip my toe in the water and change the config file to get rid of the "Real Enabled" nonsense on the display...
« Last Edit: 07:22:18 | 04 March, 2015 by macplaxton »

Dogmatix

« Reply #5 on: 07:26:46 | 04 March, 2015 »
I have Barracuda "Application Notes" and a Stingray info sheet as PDF files - if you're interested, PM me an e-mail address, and I'll send them to you later (going out now).

I suppose you know about the old Sharpfin Google group (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sharpfin - closed, but still accessible)?
« Last Edit: 07:28:39 | 04 March, 2015 by Dogmatix »

macplaxton

« Reply #6 on: 08:04:42 | 04 March, 2015 »
PM'd thanks.

I've seen a few of the Sharpfin Google group posts. May take a closer look.

Cheers

anything