Author Topic: FS firmware upgrades  (Read 30510 times)

Dogmatix

Re: FS firmware upgrades
« Reply #15 on: 03:33:04 | 01 February, 2017 »
Thanks, Thomas. The reason I ask is that my 520 did not originally have an "off" setting for the backlight in standby. I wrote to Technisat, pointing out that even in the "low" setting, the display is too bright for use in a bedroom. They kindly arranged a firmware upgrade with the "off" setting. For my better half, who uses that radio more than I do, the "off" setting is more important than DASH capability, as she doesn't listen to BBC, so unless I know that the 2.11 firmware has the "off" setting, I will not allowmy 520 to upgrade.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

alexdbird

« Reply #16 on: 13:58:06 | 01 February, 2017 »
Yesterday evening, 2017-01-31, an update rolled out to my Digitradio 110IR radios.

Original firmware: ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0191_V2.9.10c.EX63922-2RC8
New firmware: ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0191_V2.11.12c.EX65964-3RC2

Although the major version number is the same as the DigitRadio 580 firmware Thomas mentions, I can see no sign of MPEG-DASH :( The BBC stations in the directory still stream in 128kbps MP3, and the podcast listings are still empty.
EDIT: If I manually add an MPEG-DASH stream, via the Frontier Silicon portal (http://www.wifiradio-frontier.com), it does play. However, these URLs are not published, and I've been unable to guess the one for full quality BBC6Music, which is the station I'm most interested in getting in higher quality. Also there is no station or programme information, which would be there if it were DAB or FM, disappointing!

If you use the multiroom features, I'd recommend waiting until the update is available for all your devices, because I couldn't group my radios while they were on different versions. This was very frustrating as I'd just unboxed one of them and wanted to see what the features, not described anywhere, actually were!

Also, one of them developed very annoying distortion on all sources, sounding like interference from the wifi traffic, after doing the update and playing with the grouping features. A factory reset got rid of that, thankfully.

@dpeddi I proxied the radio and grabbed the firmware, had a quick poke through it and saw some bitmaps and strings, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm curious to know what would happen if you loaded a different firmware in via a proxy, e.g. one meant for the Roberts or Hama radios. Not quite curious enough to brick my radio though!
« Last Edit: 02:27:47 | 02 February, 2017 by alexdbird »

Dogmatix

« Reply #17 on: 05:48:27 | 02 February, 2017 »
[...] full quality BBC6Music, which is the station I'm most interested in getting in higher quality.
You can only get the higher qualtiy streams in the UK. Outside the UK you only get 96kbps (thanks, BBC!).
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

alexdbird

« Reply #18 on: 07:51:54 | 02 February, 2017 »
[...] full quality BBC6Music, which is the station I'm most interested in getting in higher quality.
You can only get the higher qualtiy streams in the UK. Outside the UK you only get 96kbps (thanks, BBC!).

I'm in Scotland, but I'm fairly sure we're in the UK for the time being  ;)

I just cannot guess the 6music URL from the one example, radio 2, which I found. I've guessed the other big BBC national services. Any idea where I should look?

Dogmatix

« Reply #19 on: 08:00:13 | 02 February, 2017 »
This is strange. I have bitten the bullet and upgraded my Digitradio 520 to v2.11, and the BBC streams are DASH (showing as AAC when I press 'Info' enough times) at 96kbps (because I am in Germany). The upgrade cleared my internet radio presets (but not my DAB presets), so I had to re-create them from my Favourites.

alexdbird

« Reply #20 on: 19:58:47 | 02 February, 2017 »
This is strange. I have bitten the bullet and upgraded my Digitradio 520 to v2.11, and the BBC streams are DASH (showing as AAC when I press 'Info' enough times) at 96kbps (because I am in Germany). The upgrade cleared my internet radio presets (but not my DAB presets), so I had to re-create them from my Favourites.

It seems strange, but I've double checked. It knows I'm in the UK, shows me UK stations, but the BBC ones in the directory are still 128k MP3 :(

In fact it still shows BBC Radio 3 HD, which was turned off many months ago. I'd blame caching, but it's clear from the performance that it caches nothing; besides which, I've seen the network traffic.

Dogmatix

« Reply #21 on: 23:16:58 | 02 February, 2017 »
[...] the BBC ones in the directory are still 128k MP3

When you say "in the directory", I'm not sure where you mean.

In the list I see on wifiradio-frontier.com when I search for "BBC Radio", the BBC stations are listed (without BBC Radio 3 HD) as MP3 128K in the 'Stream' column. The same applies to my favourites list. This is because that part of the website does not check if a user's radio is DASH capable or not. Plus which, a user may (like me) have a number of radios on his account, some have been updated for BBC DASH streams, some not. It therefore shows the default codec, being MP3. When you actually try to connect to the stream on your radio, it ought to select the DASH stream (shown on the radio as AAC) if the radio has the right formware to decode it, and to select he MP3 stream otherwise (as long as that still exists, but that's another story).

When I perform the same search on my radio, "BBC Radio 3 HD - UK Only" is in the list (actually, it says "UK On", because the display ion my Roberts isn't wide enough for the "ly"). I cannot test it, because I am not in the UK. Streams details are not shown.

When I select, say, BBC Radio 6 Music either firectly on the radio, or by saving it as a favourite on the website, the stream details on the radio (press "Info" x 3) show "Codec: AAC", and above that, "Bit rate: 96 kbps" (or thereabouts).

I assume that you have tried deleting a BBC station from your favourites and re-adding it to your favourites on wifi-frontier.com, and re-assigning it as a preset on your radio?

alexdbird

« Reply #22 on: 02:16:50 | 03 February, 2017 »
[...] the BBC ones in the directory are still 128k MP3

When you say "in the directory", I'm not sure where you mean.

I mean by browsing the stations from the internet radio menu on the device itself, and then using the info button to see what stream I am actually receiving. In the case of the BBC stations, this is 128k MP3.

No, I'm not using old presets or favourites.

Your location is not the only reason you can't tune into "BBC Radio 3 HD". I can't tune into it either. AFAIK it ceased to exist some time ago!

If I manually add DASH stations to my added stations via the wifiradio-frontier.com portal, I get 320kbps AAC. However these URLs are not published, so I only have a couple of BBC stations.

Dogmatix

« Reply #23 on: 03:16:09 | 03 February, 2017 »
Well, the Radio 3 HD is probably what Germans call a "Datenleiche" - a data corpse.

As for your other BBC problem, either there is an issue with your particular radio, that the Frontier system does not trecognise it as having DASH-compatible firmware, or the issue is with the model. Either way, your best bet is to contact Technisat support at support.techniradio@technisat.de, quoting your radio model, the current firmware, the radio serial number and your location (UK). They usually answer within a couple of days.

mssm

« Reply #24 on: 01:40:51 | 24 March, 2017 »
Hi, where can I get all those firmware packages? We got 2 Hama DIR3000 that have different firmware installed but both claim to be up-to-date on online-update request.
Code: [Select]
ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0077_V2.6.17.EX53300-1A10
ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0077_V2.6.12.EX45502-1A5
Those 2 versions were not mentioned here yet. The Hama website itself doesn't provide any firmware anymore for these devices. I checked https://frontier.com/helpcenter/categories/internet/other-services/open-source-software-portal but did not find they anything about these devices.
Hama DIR3000v2

Dogmatix

« Reply #25 on: 08:05:28 | 24 March, 2017 »
As far as I am aware, there is no facility - either official or non-official - for users to download and install firmware on Frontier radios themselves. Only Frontier can trigger a download, and they only do this by arrangement with the brand companies. Frontier will not deal with end-users directly, you have to go through the brand.

mssm

« Reply #26 on: 23:52:23 | 26 March, 2017 »
As every device also has the option to flash a new firmware locally, most probably via some USB-Stick, I guess some people must have got some firmware files and could share them.
Hama DIR3000v2

Dogmatix

« Reply #27 on: 01:27:47 | 27 March, 2017 »
Well, if you can find a way to flash FS radios (remember - not all FS radios have a USB port), and can find a source for firmware files, do let us know. It seems to me that Frontier has kept this aspect very secure.

mssm

« Reply #28 on: 01:44:32 | 27 March, 2017 »
Beside the online update there is some update function in the menu, that starts waiting for an update. And as USB is the only interface I was guessing it is waiting for some firmware image on USB. Maybe that menu option is for service only, but it is there.
Hama DIR3000v2

mssm

« Reply #29 on: 23:03:20 | 27 March, 2017 »
The Hama support told me that firmware images are only distributed via update servers. But I got some changelog about the software versions, that I attach here.
However I don't understand why the 2 devices have different software versions and do not update to the latest.
Hama DIR3000v2