Author Topic: Replacement for ORB with Receive devices  (Read 4257 times)

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
Replacement for ORB with Receive devices
« on: 05:30:36 | 03 February, 2016 »
My son has replaced his laptop and we find that the media server he has used for ages (ORB) is no longer available. All he wants to do is play his music folders on a couple of MOSAC150s, nothing complicated. What's the best free option for the new laptop, running Windows 10?
ANOTHERBOB  
RECIVA RADIO...... AVOX Indio Color.
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  Squeezebox Touch. Squeezebox Radio. Magicbox Clarus Plus. PURE One Flow. Zettaly Avy ZA-407

zeewier

• Administrator
Re: Replacement for ORB with Receive devices
« Reply #1 on: 05:36:28 | 03 February, 2016 »
I don't use Windows, but I think there is a Windows version of TVMOBiLi which I sometimes run on my iMac.

KlaasV

« Reply #2 on: 05:45:53 | 03 February, 2016 »
What's the best free option for the new laptop, running Windows 10?

I don't know if it's the best option, but Windows 10 (as well as Windows 7) has a UPnP/DLNA media server built-in. Please see http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-windows-10-computer-dlna-streaming-server for instructions on how to activate it.

The free version of MediaMonkey also offers media sharing over UPnP/DLNA.

anotherbob

« Reply #3 on: 06:05:34 | 03 February, 2016 »
Thanks for your responses. Tvmobili appears not to be free. Media monkey lists a couple of reciva devices in its compatibility list, and it is free so that's one to try. I found one called Universal Media Server at Sourceforge. Has anyone any experience of that?
ANOTHERBOB  
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  Squeezebox Touch. Squeezebox Radio. Magicbox Clarus Plus. PURE One Flow. Zettaly Avy ZA-407

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #4 on: 06:24:43 | 03 February, 2016 »
No experience with those, but why not just use the media server built into windows?  Windows UPnP works perfectly well with Reciva radios.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

A. Black

« Reply #5 on: 08:04:34 | 03 February, 2016 »
My son has replaced his laptop and we find that the media server he has used for ages (ORB) is no longer available. All he wants to do is play his music folders on a couple of MOSAC150s, nothing complicated. What's the best free option for the new laptop, running Windows 10?

Not sure what the "best" is but on my Windows 8.1 machine I tried a few uPnP servers and settled on foobar2000 which is definitely free.

There also seems to be quite a bit of discussion of the Logitech Media Server (LMS) on this forum so evidently many people are using that.  (You don't need a Logitech device to use it.)

Note that you can have more than one uPnP server running on the PC at the same time.  From your Reciva radio it will let you choose which one you wish to access.  This can be useful while testing out various different uPnP servers.

An alternative to a uPnP server which I find I use more than uPnP these days is the setup described in the following link.  With that setup instead of running a uPnP server on your PC and querying it from the radio you define a preset on your radio that when pressed plays, over the radio, whatever audio is playing on your PC so the radio is essentially acting as a remote speaker to your PC.  You are not restricted to audio files but can listen to anything that you can hear on your PC.   On the PC end you run vlc and SWYH (both free software).

http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1945.msg19081#msg19081

anotherbob

« Reply #6 on: 09:33:51 | 03 February, 2016 »
No experience with those, but why not just use the media server built into windows?  Windows UPnP works perfectly well with Reciva radios.
Tried this and I have it working with my Zettaly Avy. Will try at my son's house tomorrow with the two MOSAC150s. Always glad not to have to run the risk of downloading Freeware.
ANOTHERBOB  

A. Black

« Reply #7 on: 15:43:08 | 03 February, 2016 »
Tried this and I have it working with my Zettaly Avy. Will try at my son's house tomorrow with the two MOSAC150s. Always glad not to have to run the risk of downloading Freeware.

I used Windows Media Player when I had Windows 8 but after upgrading to 8.1 it no longer worked with my radio.  It's strange that the same configuration that worked with 8 did not with 8.1 but at any rate I found it easiest to just try a few alternatives and was up and running again in no time.  Hopefully you have better luck.

anotherbob

« Reply #8 on: 03:51:24 | 07 February, 2016 »
Next chapter.....
With the new laptop on and windows media player running I select UPNP on the MOSAC150, it responds with No PCs found, when I select Windows Shares it responds the name of the laptop then with "Enter your credentials and try again".
I have no idea what my credentials might be. I haven't set a password for the laptop.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 04:14:18 | 07 February, 2016 by anotherbob »
ANOTHERBOB  

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 05:27:56 | 07 February, 2016 »
In Windows 10, go here:  Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings; click the radio button for "turn on network discovery;" scroll down to "all networks" and click on it;  click on "choose media streaming options" and make sure that you've ticked the checkbox where the radio appears.  Then close and save changes.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

anotherbob

« Reply #10 on: 10:07:19 | 07 February, 2016 »
In Windows 10, go here:  Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings; click the radio button for "turn on network discovery;" scroll down to "all networks" and click on it;  click on "choose media streaming options" and make sure that you've ticked the checkbox where the radio appears.  Then close and save changes.
Thanks again.
I've tried that on my own Windows 10 PC with success, so I'll have a go at my son's laptop asap.
You would think it'd be easier wouldn't you?
ANOTHERBOB  

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 10:20:53 | 07 February, 2016 »

It's windows.  :-\   Apologies if "tick the checkbox" wasn't quite the Queen's English.

anotherbob

« Reply #12 on: 04:57:27 | 13 February, 2016 »

It's windows.  :-\   Apologies if "tick the checkbox" wasn't quite the Queen's English.

Success. Both MOSAC150 radios now recognise the laptop a a UPnP server, not Windows Shares. I'm not bothered how they recognise it as long as they do  :o

(Only the Queen uses the Queen's English, and she's a German.)
ANOTHERBOB  

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 05:15:13 | 13 February, 2016 »
Glad it worked.  "Tick the tickbox?"