Author Topic: jump to random reciva station (feeling lucky)  (Read 1869 times)

EastEriq

jump to random reciva station (feeling lucky)
« on: 06:54:46 | 04 March, 2016 »
I've at times caressed the thought of implementing a command to tune to a random station among the alleged 20000+ ones of the reciva list. I haven't found earlier pointers, nor is it clear to me how and the station list is accessed. Is it in memory, and accessible only by the propietary ir application? Is it copied to the filesystem, where and in which format? On one side when searching for stations [after a message about retrieving the updated list], latencies don't suggest that a remote site is further consulted; on the other, the full list must be quite big, even in compressed format, for the tiny memory and filesystem of the barracuda. I've remarked the file /root/fake-stations/fake.tar.bz2 and had a cursive look inside, and concluded it contains some sort of very outdated information, used probably for early development or debug.

As for the mechanics of implementing such command, I had only vague thoughts -- maybe a cgi script called via the webserver, maybe a query to the reciva site -- but all may depend a lot on what is accessible.

Any idea?
« Last Edit: 07:01:14 | 04 March, 2016 by EastEriq »

dh

• Former Reciva Engineer
Re: jump to random reciva station (feeling lucky)
« Reply #1 on: 07:51:26 | 04 March, 2016 »
I've at times caressed the thought of implementing a command to tune to a random station among the alleged 20000+ ones of the reciva list. I haven't found earlier pointers, nor is it clear to me how and the station list is accessed. Is it in memory, and accessible only by the propietary ir application? Is it copied to the filesystem, where and in which format? On one side when searching for stations [after a message about retrieving the updated list], latencies don't suggest that a remote site is further consulted; on the other, the full list must be quite big, even in compressed format, for the tiny memory and filesystem of the barracuda. I've remarked the file /root/fake-stations/fake.tar.bz2 and had a cursive look inside, and concluded it contains some sort of very outdated information, used probably for early development or debug.

As for the mechanics of implementing such command, I had only vague thoughts -- maybe a cgi script called via the webserver, maybe a query to the reciva site -- but all may depend a lot on what is accessible.

Any idea?

Ping an email to info@reciva.com - mark it for attention of dh - with your radio serial number, product code and firmware version. I'll see if there's something we can do.
Views my own, not my previous employer's. I'll help where I can but this is not an official support channel.

anything