Author Topic: Sangean WFR-20 keeps bouncing from station to Initializ  (Read 366 times)

irva

• Radio-Cat
  • Video Killed The Radio Star
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • none
Sangean WFR-20 keeps bouncing from station to Initializ
« on: 17:01:24 | 01 July, 2017 »
Hi Group,
     My Sangean WFR-20 is doing some Funky/Spooky stuff, all on it's own.
Here's what's going on:

1-I turn it on.
2-"Starting", starts up...
3- It goes through it's (normal) 'Initializing Network'.
4-Connects to my Network.
5-Then you'll choose Internet Radio, My Stuff, My Streams etc.
6-I'll select the station.
7- I'll listen to the station for less than 5 minutes, then...
8- Then it reverts back to #2 through #6..........AUTOMATICALLY ALL BY ITSELF(?)

Then when I do shut it off, after a  minute or two it turns itself back on again(?!!!?)

What the Royal Fudge is going on here?

Is this unit Fudged up?

I'm almost scared now, as I just invested in another [questionable ?] Sangean product (that I am starting to wonder about their QUALITY) their WFT-1 Component Internet Tuner!

I'm Questioning Technology and Quality Control!

* I had one other WFR-20 repaired, at a local Electronics repair Center, after receiving a used, but good Barricuda Module from a great member of this Forum, and it has worked well, ever since.
- The fellow at the repair center asked me "when did I SPILL some fluid on the inside of the original board".
I said that I never opened the unit up, so it wasn't me.
He took pictures, and he showed me where the solder was all messed up, and there were 'stains'

(I put these photos in the photo section of this site, last year).

in the board material, and verrrrry sloppy solder connections.
No wonder why that first unit failed...

Sangean W.T.F. about your "Quality Control".

Is their anything that I could do to stop all of the above, or is the unit done?   >:(

Thanking you in advance, and like I said, questioning Technology!

Bah, Humbug, bring back the good old Analog Age.
At least the stuff had longevity and WORKED correctly!

Irv in CT

Listening to all those interesting little electrons bouncing around the Ether!

Dogmatix

• Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
Re: Sangean WFR-20 keeps bouncing from station to Initializ
« Reply #1 on: 03:29:14 | 02 July, 2017 »
Hi Group
Hello again, Irv.

Here's what's going on:

1-I turn it on.
8- Then it reverts back to #2 through #6..........AUTOMATICALLY ALL BY ITSELF(?)

Then when I do shut it off, after a  minute or two it turns itself back on again(?!!!?)

Strange stuff indeed.

Several of my Reciva radios started spontaneously switching on last year. Interestingly, this started happening just after I upgraded my kids' PCs to Windows 10. I had to disable the keep-power-on-in-standby option to stop this happening (which made boot-up slower, of course). I suspect that Win10 does something on the network which connected-in-standby Reciva radios see as a wake-up call. I don't know if this can also lead to spontaneous re-booting. That could also be caused by a fault on the Barracuda module, or a fault in the power circuits, casing the voltage to dip enough to make the radio re-start. Or the power button on the remote is faulty, and sends out on/off signals without the button being pressed.

I just invested in another [questionable ?] Sangean product (that I am starting to wonder about their QUALITY) their WFT-1 Component Internet Tuner!
Ah. We had someone else here only recently, also US-based, who just bought one of those (see http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2451.0). The bad news is that the WFT-1 is not the most recent model - it's been around for a few years. In Europe, Sangean now offer the WFT-3, which is not listed on Sangean's US site. Both of these (as well as most other radios now on the European market) are based on Frontier Silicon's Venice internet radio module. There are not many Frontier-based radios on the US market; mainly, the few offered by Sangean, and Como Audio (www.comoaudio.com)

He took pictures, and he showed me where the solder was all messed up, and there were 'stains'
To be fair, Sangean didn't actually make the Barracuda modules - someone else did.  Sangean just put them in their radios.
« Last Edit: 03:32:15 | 02 July, 2017 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 59.0.3071.115 Chrome 59.0.3071.115
« Reply #2 on: 04:20:40 | 02 July, 2017 »
"The bad news is that the WFT-1 is not the most recent model - it's been around for a few years. In Europe, Sangean now offer the WFT-3, which is not listed on Sangean's US site."

Since Grace digital discontinued their tuner, the WFT-1 is the last new internet radio tuner you're likely to find in the US.  Probably best to give up and buy a receiver with v-Tuner built in if you want to go that route.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Dogmatix

• Browser:
« Reply #3 on: 06:20:51 | 02 July, 2017 »
Since Grace digital discontinued their tuner, the WFT-1 is the last new internet radio tuner you're likely to find in the US.
Unless or until Grace bring out a "Tuner+" or a "Solo+" to go with their "Mondo+"....

Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 59.0.3071.115 Chrome 59.0.3071.115
« Reply #4 on: 12:12:26 | 02 July, 2017 »
Since Grace digital discontinued their tuner, the WFT-1 is the last new internet radio tuner you're likely to find in the US.
Unless or until Grace bring out a "Tuner+" or a "Solo+" to go with their "Mondo+"....

"Until" will be a long ways down the road, I'm guessing.  The Encore is next in line to be "plussed."

The Yamaha WXC-50 or Denon Heos Link might be good tuner replacements, but although they do add multi-room playing functions, they're also considerably more expensive.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Crystalset

• Browser:
  • Firefox 54.0 Firefox 54.0
« Reply #5 on: 16:16:33 | 04 July, 2017 »
Hi Group,
Here's what's going on:

1-I turn it on.

Then when I do shut it off, after a  minute or two it turns itself back on again.

re above: Would a factory reset help?

Dogmatix

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 45.0 Firefox 45.0
« Reply #6 on: 22:34:03 | 04 July, 2017 »
re above: Would a factory reset help?

It might be worth a try. It'll clear the wifi details and presets, of course.

And if that fails, it might be worth asking Reciva (by email to info at reciva.com) to set the flag for the "Legacy Enhanced Firmware" (also known as "the beta"). You'd need to tell them the radio's serial number (to be found under 'Settings/Configuration' > 'Version'). If and when they do that, you then go to your radio's page under 'My Radios' on the Reciva website and enable the 'Legacy Enhanced Firmware' (and click on 'Update'), and then, on the radio, ask it to update.
The following users thanked this post: Crystalset

Crystalset

• Browser:
« Reply #7 on: 07:02:52 | 07 July, 2017 »
My Roberts WM201 has got exact same problem as OP's WFR-20. I tried a factory reset - no change.
Still showing version  v257-a-865-a-476 which, I believe, is the  'Legacy Enhanced Firmware' .
Last night I parked the radio (LAN) 3 shelves beneath the modem on a hi-fi stand & left it on all night. It was still on the station this morning. When I started using my laptop (LAN 6ft away) the WM201 went into the 'starting, initialising' routine again.
I messed about last week trying to add a station, hasn't been right since, maybe a coincidence? I've used this radio for 10 years.

Crystalset

• Browser:
Roberts WM201 problem.
« Reply #8 on: 02:51:10 | 23 August, 2017 »
A short update:
The radio performs well as long as my laptop is not being used. The sound is excellent compared to to my reserve, a Freecom MusicPal. I do have to unplug the Roberts when not in use.

Dogmatix

• Browser:
« Reply #9 on: 14:25:33 | 23 August, 2017 »
I don't suppose that the radio and the laptop are both trying to use the same IP address in your network?

Crystalset

• Browser:
« Reply #10 on: 15:21:37 | 23 August, 2017 »
No, I've checked at your suggestion.  The laptop IPv4 address ends with .0.24
WM201 address ends with .0.221
« Last Edit: 15:35:04 | 23 August, 2017 by Crystalset »