Author Topic: Mondo: Stuck in Buffering / Retrying / Buffering Cycle  (Read 476 times)

TuneNut

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 52.0.2743.116 Chrome 52.0.2743.116
Mondo: Stuck in Buffering / Retrying / Buffering Cycle
« on: 15:04:24 | 11 August, 2017 »
My Mondo won't play radio stations anymore. For a few days, it would play for a while, then cut out and buffer, but now it's stuck in a perpetual cycle of buffering/retrying/buffering. Rebooting doesn't help. Any suggestions?

I think that when this happened in the past, someone advised me to manually enter the Network Key again (even if the radio supposedly remember it). How do you get to the Network Key screen keyboard for that.

Or if you think there's another cause, let me know. Thanks.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.90 Chrome 60.0.3112.90
Re: Mondo: Stuck in Buffering / Retrying / Buffering Cycle
« Reply #1 on: 04:23:40 | 12 August, 2017 »
Have you tried re-setting your router, or changing the wi-fi channel it's broadcasting on, to see if that has any effect?  It's possible that the radio's wi-fi dongle has gone to electronics heaven.  If this is your Mondo Plus, it's still under warranty and Grace should replace it if the radio's the problem.  I doubt re-entering the network key will do much, but to do so you would go to the home screen, then to settings, then to wi-fi and network setup, then scan for networks.  When you see your network, choose it and use "edit saved key" to re-enter your password.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

TuneNut

• Browser:
« Reply #2 on: 08:00:21 | 12 August, 2017 »
Have you tried re-setting your router, or changing the wi-fi channel it's broadcasting on, to see if that has any effect?  It's possible that the radio's wi-fi dongle has gone to electronics heaven.  If this is your Mondo Plus, it's still under warranty and Grace should replace it if the radio's the problem.  I doubt re-entering the network key will do much, but to do so you would go to the home screen, then to settings, then to wi-fi and network setup, then scan for networks.  When you see your network, choose it and use "edit saved key" to re-enter your password.

Oh, dear, I hope it's not the radio's wi-fi dongle. Is there a way to tell for sure? The radio isn't very old, at a guess maybe 5 years. My GRD is much much older and still chugging along fine.

Here are the two situations I've been trying and dealing with.

Settings | Wi-Fi Network | Scan | my network displays and I select it "Using saved key"  | Buffering 0% and sometimes "Not connected to the Internet"

When trying to going to Set-up to reenter the key or change networks, it says  Connecting to Setup | then either "Not connected to the network" or "Network Error Network not found".

I've also moved the radio close to the router and that hasn't helped.

If these indicate it's the radio's wi-fi dongle, is that something that can be repaired at an affordable cost, or is it time to toss the radio?

Thanks.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • Browser:
« Reply #3 on: 08:32:31 | 12 August, 2017 »
I'd at least try re-setting the router and changing the wi-fi channel before you toss anything.  The router is as likely to be as culpable as the radio.  If resetting the router, then rebooting the radio, doesn't do anything to solve the problem, I'd call Grace's support on Monday to see what they have to say about it.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

TuneNut

• Browser:
« Reply #4 on: 08:55:53 | 12 August, 2017 »
I'd at least try re-setting the router and changing the wi-fi channel before you toss anything.  The router is as likely to be as culpable as the radio.  If resetting the router, then rebooting the radio, doesn't do anything to solve the problem, I'd call Grace's support on Monday to see what they have to say about it.

I changed the Wi-Fi channel to our older one and the radio started working again, yay! Thanks.

Greg

• Browser:
« Reply #5 on: 10:16:51 | 15 August, 2017 »
that is great that it worked, however,  radio will automatically follow any channel that the router is on.   the likely issue was your wi-fi router was on a very noisy channel so the radio could not connect to it, moving it to a less crowded channel may have fixed this issue.

DrGraesler

• Mac OS X 10.12.6 Mac OS X 10.12.6
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.78 Chrome 60.0.3112.78
« Reply #6 on: 15:37:41 | 18 August, 2017 »
I've been experiencing this problem intermittently for quite some time. I encounter the Buffering/Retrying/Buffering 0% usually in the wee hours of the morning  - 0200-0600 hours EST. I have many Internet Radios: 2 Grace Mondos, 1 Logitech  Squeezebox, 1 Roku M1001 and 2 Chumbys. My radios that do not use Reciva do not experience this problem. Also, my computer internet connection is working when I experience the Buffering, etc. problem. When I experience this problem both Mondos exhibit the problem. I've tried all the suggested remedies from Grace: Rebooting the Mondos, checking for Firmware update (there are none), rebooting my Modem and Router. I strongly suspect the problem lies with Reciva's Server. I spent a great deal of time with Grace Technical Support today and they could not suggest anything beyond sending my Mondo for repair. I do not think there is anything wrong with my Mondos since both exhibit the same problem and usually only exhibit the problem in the middle of the night. In the morning the problem disappears.

I've attempted to find a means of contacting Reciva without success. I would like to find out if they are experiencing Server problems or are shutting down their Servers for maintenance. Some sites allow customers t log in to see the status of their Servers. It would be great if Reciva allowed that option. I question if Reciva is on its way out. According to Grace, the new Mondo+ does not use Reciva, but I cannot determine what is the source of the Internet stations for the Mondo+. I was also informed by Grace Technical Support that by the end of 2018, if not sooner, NPR will not be able to be received by the Mondo (not true for the Mondo+), nor will I Heart Radio be received. They are changing their format and the electronics in the original Mondo, supplied by Qualcomm has been discontinued.

I am also concerned over the viability of Grace Digital. I just discovered that the Mondo+ is funded, at least in part, by a Kickstarter campaign. That, to me, is not a good omen.

drgeoff

• Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 50.0.2661.89 Chrome 50.0.2661.89
« Reply #7 on: 03:07:41 | 19 August, 2017 »
The Reciva server(s) are not in the path that the streaming data takes between the station and your radio.  Reciva supply only the address from which the streaming data is requested by the radio. That is when you use the search facility on the radio or My Stuff.

If you assign a station to a preset on the radio then the Reciva server(s) play no further part at all. The address is stored in the radio. Henceforth that is read from the memory and the radio contacts the station's server directly.

Given the above, do you still think the Reciva servers are the cause of your problem?

(And if you do still think that, have you a theory as to why all other Reciva users do not appear to be having the same problem?)

Solo2

• Administrator
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.101 Chrome 60.0.3112.101
« Reply #8 on: 04:54:57 | 19 August, 2017 »
I've been experiencing this problem intermittently for quite some time. I encounter the Buffering/Retrying/Buffering 0% usually in the wee hours of the morning  - 0200-0600 hours EST. I have many Internet Radios: 2 Grace Mondos, 1 Logitech  Squeezebox, 1 Roku M1001 and 2 Chumbys. My radios that do not use Reciva do not experience this problem. Also, my computer internet connection is working when I experience the Buffering, etc. problem. When I experience this problem both Mondos exhibit the problem. I've tried all the suggested remedies from Grace: Rebooting the Mondos, checking for Firmware update (there are none), rebooting my Modem and Router. I strongly suspect the problem lies with Reciva's Server. I spent a great deal of time with Grace Technical Support today and they could not suggest anything beyond sending my Mondo for repair. I do not think there is anything wrong with my Mondos since both exhibit the same problem and usually only exhibit the problem in the middle of the night. In the morning the problem disappears.

I've attempted to find a means of contacting Reciva without success. I would like to find out if they are experiencing Server problems or are shutting down their Servers for maintenance. Some sites allow customers t log in to see the status of their Servers. It would be great if Reciva allowed that option. I question if Reciva is on its way out. According to Grace, the new Mondo+ does not use Reciva, but I cannot determine what is the source of the Internet stations for the Mondo+. I was also informed by Grace Technical Support that by the end of 2018, if not sooner, NPR will not be able to be received by the Mondo (not true for the Mondo+), nor will I Heart Radio be received. They are changing their format and the electronics in the original Mondo, supplied by Qualcomm has been discontinued.

I am also concerned over the viability of Grace Digital. I just discovered that the Mondo+ is funded, at least in part, by a Kickstarter campaign. That, to me, is not a good omen.

Is it every station that's buffering in the wee hours, or just one in particular?  If you can still get other stations loud and clear at those times, then neither Reciva nor your radio is at fault.  The problem is with your station.  If you are having problems with every station, have you switched your router to a different wi-fi channel to see if you get different results?

Perhaps you misunderstood the situation with NPR.  The NPR podcasts are switching to an encrypted format (https:) that Reciva radios cannot decipher.  This is a requirement enforced by iTunes where most podcasts are consumed.  There is no reason why NPR channels, rather than podcasts, will disappear.

Reciva has already disappeared.  It is now owned by Qualcomm.  Qualcomm has continued to maintain the servers and hasn't publicly indicated that it has any interest in unplugging them.  No one can say what Qualcomm plans for the future.

There are many reasons why a company might want to launch a tech product using kickstarter.  It's a marketing method and its use says nothing about the health of a company.

TuneNut

• Browser:
« Reply #9 on: 08:12:52 | 19 August, 2017 »
This is an update on my Mondo. As mentioned earlier when I changed the Wi-Fi channel, the radio started working again (as opposed to being totally nonresponsive). But . . . it still cycles through Buffering/Retrying/Buffering very often. We moved the radio to a few different locations to see if that made a difference. When it is very close to the Wi-Fi modem, it works fine (no buffering/retrying). But if we move it to another room, it won't place properly.

Would it help to put it back to factory settings and start over again, or does the radio need to be repaired?

(The Mondo Plus works fine in all locations.)

Thanks.

Larry2986

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
« Reply #10 on: 23:29:35 | 20 August, 2017 »
Try setting the Wi-Fi channel to automatic on your router. That setting will choose the channel that is best for your location.  Better than the one your on now.

Grace Radios: Encore, two Mondos, and an Allegro

TuneNut

• Browser:
« Reply #11 on: 08:53:34 | 21 August, 2017 »
Try setting the Wi-Fi channel to automatic on your router. That setting will choose the channel that is best for your location.  Better than the one your on now.

Thanks, but our other two Grace radios work fine (as do all other devices). It's just the one radio that is problematic, so it's not due to Wi-Fi problems.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • Browser:
« Reply #12 on: 09:35:59 | 21 August, 2017 »
This is an update on my Mondo. As mentioned earlier when I changed the Wi-Fi channel, the radio started working again (as opposed to being totally nonresponsive). But . . . it still cycles through Buffering/Retrying/Buffering very often. We moved the radio to a few different locations to see if that made a difference. When it is very close to the Wi-Fi modem, it works fine (no buffering/retrying). But if we move it to another room, it won't place properly.

Would it help to put it back to factory settings and start over again, or does the radio need to be repaired?

(The Mondo Plus works fine in all locations.)

Thanks.

I'd call Grace and see what they have to say about it. Does the buffering occur on every channel or just on specific ones? Out of curiosity, how old is your router?  Do you live in a place where there the wi-fi is congested?

TuneNut

• Browser:
« Reply #13 on: 09:57:26 | 21 August, 2017 »
 I'd call Grace and see what they have to say about it. Does the buffering occur on every channel or just on specific ones? Out of curiosity, how old is your router?  Do you live in a place where there the wi-fi is congested?
[/quote]

The buffering occurs on every channel. The router is less than a year old. We are in the mountains where Wi-Fi is sometimes congested, but when that happens, all the radios and other devices are affected.

I tried this tactic again a few days ago:  I moved the Mondo close to the router again and this time the radio worked fine (whereas the other day it continued to buffer even when close to the router). Then once it was working fine, I moved it from the router room to another room and so far it's doing okay. Strange. If the problem returns and persists, I'll call Grace.

Thanks.

DrGraesler

• Mac OS X 10.12.6 Mac OS X 10.12.6
  • Browser:
« Reply #14 on: 19:44:05 | 21 August, 2017 »

Is it every station that's buffering in the wee hours, or just one in particular?  If you can still get other stations loud and clear at those times, then neither Reciva nor your radio is at fault.  The problem is with your station.  If you are having problems with every station, have you switched your router to a different wi-fi channel to see if you get different results?

Perhaps you misunderstood the situation with NPR.  The NPR podcasts are switching to an encrypted format (https:) that Reciva radios cannot decipher.  This is a requirement enforced by iTunes where most podcasts are consumed.  There is no reason why NPR channels, rather than podcasts, will disappear.

Reciva has already disappeared.  It is now owned by Qualcomm.  Qualcomm has continued to maintain the servers and hasn't publicly indicated that it has any interest in unplugging them.  No one can say what Qualcomm plans for the future.

There are many reasons why a company might want to launch a tech product using kickstarter.  It's a marketing method and its use says nothing about the health of a company.

Thank you for the Reciva and Kickstarter education. In answer to your question: the Buffering problem occurs with all stations. We live in a remote area so interference from other people is very unlikely and the Buffering/Retrying occurs at random times when nothing else is happening. No microwave oven running, no other equipment being used, etc. The WiFi Signal strength is always above 85% - usually 95-100%. But one thing that I will try is switching to another WiFi unit, a WiFi extender that is also in use. Regarding the Modem's age, it's hard to tell. The ISP exchanged my modem abut a year ago and it is possible that the exchanged unit is a rebuilt one. I should also add that when the internet radio problem occurs I have no problem connecting to and using the internet with my Macintosh computers.

anything