Author Topic: Google Home (Mini)  (Read 194 times)

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
Google Home (Mini)
« on: 02:16:47 | 05 May, 2019 »
Guess what? Google sent me a Google Home Mini for free. They've done it before. They once sent me a prototype Chromebook with 2 years of mobile data access. Okay, so it might have really been the NSA or GCHQ trying to get on my good side, however...

I'm trying to get it to play my home radio/NAS stream without using Chromecast or Bluetooth.

This was a bit tricky with Amazon Alexa, but once I'd found the MyPod skill - thx @castalla, plus a little bit of actual skill, obviously, I can now say, "Alexa, ask MyPod to play L***** L*****...", and it's pretty solid.

Google Home doesn't seem to have any way of independently doing this. It can be done via the Home app on my phone/pad using either Chromecast or Bluetooth, but I'm trying to avoid the middle device. I just want to say, "Hey Google! Play L***** L*****...".

Any ideas?
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa | Google Home
dumnonia.us

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Re: Google Home (Mini)
« Reply #1 on: 03:43:41 | 05 May, 2019 »
I think you're going to have to cast it from your phone or tablet.  Google home radio is limited to what's available on TuneIn, AFAIK.
Interestingly, TuneIn already has a station called "Liquid Lounge." https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/80apqg/how_to_play_an_internet_radio_station_by/
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 04:37:36 | 05 May, 2019 »
You could use LMS and chromecast plugin - turns the mini into a squeezebox player (with some added voice commands, eg. mute, volume up/down).

The mini still retains all the standard google home features.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 06:02:45 | 05 May, 2019 »
You could use LMS and chromecast plugin - turns the mini into a squeezebox player (with some added voice commands, eg. mute, volume up/down).

The mini still retains all the standard google home features.

LMS with the castbridge plugin works well,  but there's still the "middle device" running LMS. Easier to just hit the cast button than to set all that up.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 07:30:53 | 05 May, 2019 »
I've got LMS running on a pi zero w - this is powered via a usb port on the router, so it's always on.  I admit I use LMS mainly to get all the BBC iplayer radio features (podcasts, listen again).   So it's sort of niche use. 

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 07:47:34 | 05 May, 2019 »
So it's sort of niche use.
It makes sense if you don't want to use a phone or tablet to control things.

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #6 on: 02:16:51 | 06 May, 2019 »
Really. I don't care if Google Home can't play my home-based radio station without a secondary device. But it does make me think Alexa's ability to use "skills" independently makes it more useful.
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
dumnonia.us

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #7 on: 02:22:19 | 06 May, 2019 »
Interestingly, TuneIn already has a station called "Liquid Lounge."

I knew I should have registered it! Although mine is actually "LiquidLounge". I've actually been running LL since 2008 if that counts for anything 8)
dumnonia.us

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 03:54:49 | 06 May, 2019 »
Really. I don't care if Google Home can't play my home-based radio station without a secondary device. But it does make me think Alexa's ability to use "skills" independently makes it more useful.

Yep.  The alexa skills are far advanced over google's limited (and undocumented) routines.

anything