Author Topic: Updating Firmware now beta is over  (Read 4027 times)

chudneywallace

Updating Firmware now beta is over
« on: 02:43:32 | 10 December, 2013 »
Dear all - i have a AE internet radio which i'd dearly love to keep using.  It already has a Edimax EW-7318Ug stick installed.  However, it can't connect to my new home wifi (virgin/superhub2) which is 11n and i think, only allows WPA2.  Both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks are running from the same router.

I've been rummaging around sharpfin and reciva websites/forums and i'm hoping that one of the old beta firmwares might help me?  I managed to sharpfin the radio and can connect via browser/telnet.  But since the beta program is over, how can i get the firmware loaded? And would it even help?

drgeoff

• Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • SeaMonkey 2.21 SeaMonkey 2.21
Re: Updating Firmware now beta is over
« Reply #1 on: 08:07:03 | 10 December, 2013 »
I am not familiar with any of the Virgin hubs.  My first step would be to try to access its config pages and ensure it is not set to 'n only'.  Also check what encryption settings are available on it.

chudneywallace

« Reply #2 on: 02:25:07 | 11 December, 2013 »
The hub can be set to 11g-only and WPA which does enable the radio to work.  But that compromises the connection and speed to the rest of my internet-connected devices.  11n + WPA is not possible, as far as i can see. 

I'd like to get it working on 11n and WPA2.  Otherwise, i'll be scrapping the radio which is a pity.

zeewier

• Mac OS X 10.9 Mac OS X 10.9
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
« Reply #3 on: 02:44:37 | 11 December, 2013 »
This will be your choice: either setting the hub to 11g only, or scrapping the radio... If you do scrap the AE, maybe you can sell it or give it to another forum member here, there might be somebody who is interested. As an aside, the latest generation of Reciva radios can handle 11n, an example is the Avox Indio Color.

NB. I remember the AE well, it was my first internet radio, but I now own an Avox Color which gives me even more listening pleasure.

drgeoff

• Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • SeaMonkey 2.21 SeaMonkey 2.21
« Reply #4 on: 03:23:01 | 11 December, 2013 »
Many hubs cab be set to support all four of g, n, WPA and WPA2 at the same time.  If the Virgin one cannot do this it may be worth looking at replacing it completely with one that can, or turning off the Virgin hub's Wi-Fi and plugging a Wi-Fi Access Point which can into one of its LAN ports.

Another option would be to keep the Virgin hub as is and add another Wi-Fi AP or router (set to a different channel) for the radio.  As it only needs to be 'g' you can pick one up very cheaply on ebay.

The original question was about upgrading the firmware.  There are some posts on this forum which said that the Sharpfin method of changing firmware still works if a new URL is used. http://recivarefuge.net/forum/index.php?topic=941.msg12736#msg12736.  I can confirm that with that edit I was able a few minutes ago to download the two patch files for the beta 257-a-865-a-476.  I didn't proceed to attempt to download that firmware to the radio so cannot confirm the upgrade actually works.
« Last Edit: 03:46:40 | 11 December, 2013 by drgeoff »

chudneywallace

« Reply #5 on: 06:35:27 | 12 December, 2013 »
WOOHOO!  That worked, cheers drgeoff!  Much appreciated.

For those who are interested...

1. Downloaded the OLD windows patchserver http://pschmidt.it/sharpfin/images/a/a4/Patchserver_0.5.zip
2. Followed the videos given on http://www.sharpfin.org/index.php?title=Enabling_Login to install test patch and sharpfin
3. Upgraded the webserver by pointing browser to radio and installing addon downloaded from  http://www.pschmidt.it/sharpfin/images/9/9b/Sharpfin-www_0.9.install
4. Telnet to radio, edited /opt/webserver/cgi-bin/admin_Install_Change_Firmware.cgi as described by http://recivarefuge.net/forum/index.php?topic=941.msg12736#msg12736
5. Point browser to radio, and click "new firmware".  Gave number 257-a-865-a-476
6. Patchfile was downloaded to laptop.  Installed it as in step 2.
7. Celebrated.

Thanks again!

« Last Edit: 06:40:34 | 12 December, 2013 by chudneywallace »

R19Ger

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 37.0.2062.124 Chrome 37.0.2062.124
Updating Firmware now beta is over
« Reply #6 on: 18:03:43 | 11 December, 2014 »
Hi

What about updating the sd mailing list archive that is now more then two months old?
I have unsubscribed from the Sd mailing list because of too much work but still like to have a look at the past discussions.
Regards.
JJ

drgeoff

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
« Reply #7 on: 03:19:26 | 12 December, 2014 »
Hi

What about updating the sd mailing list archive that is now more then two months old?
I have unsubscribed from the Sd mailing list because of too much work but still like to have a look at the past discussions.
Regards.
JJ
Eh?

What is 'sd' and what does it have to do with this thread?

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #8 on: 05:35:39 | 12 December, 2014 »
@R19Ger

You're posting to RecivaRefuge.

I'm not certain how your posts are related to any thread so far.

Please familiarise yourself with our Registration Agreement: http://recivarefuge.net/forum/index.php?topic=1223.0
Alan | Oh! That British Bloke
Listening in Navarumsunk, New Jersey, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above-average
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Nexus 7 | Galaxy S6

shuttleman58

• Technology Trends Columnist - CQ Magazine
  • The future of communications
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.9 Firefox 31.9
« Reply #9 on: 13:22:58 | 12 December, 2014 »
FYI all: I can't speak specifically to AE radios, but you can still do a beta firmware upgrade simply by requesting it from Reciva. As noted in another thread and confirmed by one of their staff members on this board, they are still processing beta requests. You simply go the Reciva portal, and on the options for your radio, tick the beta box and complete the request. Reciva responds in a business day or two.

@chudneywallace: Thanks for your Sharpfin procedure though. That might help others.
- Rob the Shuttleman
C Crane CC-Wifi (Reciva) x 2; Grace Mondo GDI-IRC6000R; Roku (with 28 radio apps and counting); Grace and Reciva Android apps; Yamaha RX-V473 (vTuner); Logitech UE Smart Radio; Android phone with 20 radio apps so far

anything