Author Topic: Are Reciva finished?  (Read 6664 times)

Tony212

Are Reciva finished?
« on: 19:24:08 | 15 February, 2014 »
I dug out my Mosac 150 today after being out of the internet radio scene for a while. It had the beta firmware on it but as others have found, it magically downgraded itself to the vastly inferior standard Reciva package after a hard reboot.

I therefore spent a few hours today installing Sharpfin. A pain in the neck but I succeeded in the end, only to find the firmware update url is invalid and Sharpfin has closed down! I now have to learn telnet and edit the url in the opt/webserver file to try and download the beta version again. What a bloody joke.

I've been on the Reciva corporate site and found that their last news update was two years ago. As they've stopped developing firmware I find it inconceivable that radios are still being produced with their inferior and outdated firmware. I also note that the Reciva database is run by volunteers.

Therefore can someone please update me as to the state of play with Reciva? If they have closed down then which system should I go for, as I'm inclined to buy a new radio with the facilities I want. Pure are still operating and I believe there's another system too.

Finally, if anyone has any workarounds to getting hold of the beta software (v257-a-865-a-476) I'd be very grateful!

Dogmatix

Re: Are Reciva finished?
« Reply #1 on: 05:07:52 | 16 February, 2014 »
Reciva haven't closed down - they are just very, very quiet, and do not communicate with end users very readily. Or even at all.

New Reciva module-based radios appear once in a while, mainly branded by Grace Digital (USA) and Avox (Germany) (see threads). The DNT Tune is still around (with new firmware), and odd radios like the Magicbox still pop up, too.

The Sharpfin project has ground to a halt. A revival attempt never really took off. It is still possible to Sharpfin older radios with 257-series firmware, but not recent models with 265 or 266 series firmware.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

Tony212

« Reply #2 on: 05:28:50 | 16 February, 2014 »
Thanks Dogmatix.

I've now managed to install the 257 beta firmware and all seemed to go well. The expected version number is showing in the radio screen. However, it doesn't seem to have 'taken' as no functionality has changed! I had the beta version installed before so I know what to look for. Perhaps I'll try power cycling a few times.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #3 on: 06:47:59 | 16 February, 2014 »
To add the beta firmware, which now is the "legacy enhanced firmware," you have to go to "radios.reciva.com," select the "manage my radios" tab, select your radio's serial number, then change "legacy enhanced firmware" from disabled to enabled, then click "submit."  If Reciva then believes that the beta firmware won't brick your radio, you will be able to load the beta firmware, although not instantaneously.

Reciva only appears to be dead in its home country.   As Dogmatix said, Grace brought out their "Encore" radio a week ago and Avox will do the same shortly.  Another new radio will be out soon.  Grace apparently has Reciva busy with some other super-secret project.  It's a shame that no British firm is making these newer and much better radios easily available in Britain.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Tony212

« Reply #4 on: 07:05:43 | 16 February, 2014 »
Thanks Solo. I guess the internet radio market is far stronger in the US which is why they're focusing there.

Regarding updating the firmware on the 'radios.reciva.com' site, I don't think this is possible. As others have pointed out on this forum, since Reciva withdrew the beta firmware radios seem to be being downgraded to a previous version after a power cycle.

I was already registered on the Reciva site and had the beta installed (legacy enhanced firmware is enabled). I logged back on yesterday after a few months and found that the beta functionality had vanished. I then went to 'update firmware', supposedly found an update and went ahead. However, this was in fact a downgrade and my firmware was changed from 257-a-865-a-476 (the beta) to 257-a-756-a-212! This has happened to quite a few people.

Using Sharpfin I've now reinstalled the beta version but found that nothing has changed in terms of functionality apart from the removal of the 'real enabled' message.

Presumably, when the beta firmware was originally enabled by Reciva it also tweaked settings in the config.txt file during installation. I think I'll try manually editing the file to restore the functionality I had before. What a palaver!

tadworth506

« Reply #5 on: 08:33:50 | 16 February, 2014 »
I recently purchased a Acoustic Solutions Net008 on ebay to add to my collection. This radio had never been registered and also had very old firmware on it.
I registered it and clicked the tag to request the beta. I received an email the following day from Reciva  saying that this radio already had the beta on it. I replied back that it hadn't and request that they remove the beta and then instal it back on again , and within a couple of hours it was all done and it working very well on the beta.
Therefore Reciva staff are still very much "up and running" :D
IR100's....OXX Digital...IRMA1...BT internet radio....Freecom Musicpal(v.tuner)...tranciva (frontier silicon)... Acoustic Solutions Net008..Roberts stream 83i... No reason at all why I need so many...and now a Pure One Flow so I again can listen to BBC Listen Again.Also have Zettaly Avy

Tony212

« Reply #6 on: 10:11:33 | 16 February, 2014 »
Thanks Tadworth, that's good to know. What was the email address you replied to? I might do the same, rather than have to manually edit the config file.
« Last Edit: 10:20:59 | 16 February, 2014 by Tony212 »

tadworth506

« Reply #7 on: 16:24:23 | 16 February, 2014 »
The email address was      info@reciva.com
IR100's....OXX Digital...IRMA1...BT internet radio....Freecom Musicpal(v.tuner)...tranciva (frontier silicon)... Acoustic Solutions Net008..Roberts stream 83i... No reason at all why I need so many...and now a Pure One Flow so I again can listen to BBC Listen Again.Also have Zettaly Avy

anything