Author Topic: RECIVA / CSR news?  (Read 11402 times)

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
RECIVA / CSR news?
« on: 04:38:16 | 07 July, 2014 »
Now the dust has settled, would it be possible for one of the recently joined new members associated with CSR to give some idea of where things are going for users of Reciva internet radios?

ty

Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Re: RECIVA / CSR news?
« Reply #1 on: 05:00:58 | 07 July, 2014 »
Seconded.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Ben H

« Reply #2 on: 13:47:04 | 07 July, 2014 »
You mean I was right when I suggested they'd joined? Quelle surprise!

Thirded, anyway. Please. Oh, pleeeaaasee...   We are all pretty well-behaved, and have cared well for lost Reciva users for some years now. The John McEnroe-like poster is long gone... I think...    :o

I somewhat doubt they'll speak "on the record" yet... but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I might bang on their front door in two weeks time as I'm back up there for a short while. Pull myself up to my full height, and reach up for the doorbell, and then bravely run away ....
Radios: Reciva - Logik IR100, dnt IPdio Tune, Tevion: SkyTC - Disgo & Xenta: vTuner - Freeview MusicPal & Pioneer VSX-923: Frontier - Clarus MusicBox, Oxx Classic V, Sandstrøm SDABXIR13:  Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Radio: Roku

Dogmatix

« Reply #3 on: 22:16:46 | 07 July, 2014 »
Fourthed!

« Last Edit: 22:24:56 | 07 July, 2014 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

Ben H

« Reply #4 on: 01:29:28 | 08 July, 2014 »
Last Line of this  http://recivarefuge.net/forum/index.php?topic=1690.0posted email is interesting.... an informed and accurate response signed off by CSR, used to be Reciva....
Radios: Reciva - Logik IR100, dnt IPdio Tune, Tevion: SkyTC - Disgo & Xenta: vTuner - Freeview MusicPal & Pioneer VSX-923: Frontier - Clarus MusicBox, Oxx Classic V, Sandstrøm SDABXIR13:  Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Radio: Roku

BenTerrell

« Reply #5 on: 05:46:18 | 08 July, 2014 »
We apologise for the brief interruption to the Reciva website and hope that it didn’t cause too much inconvenience. Reciva has been acquired by CSR plc. The great news is that at CSR, the Reciva engineers are part of a big team, all working to develop exciting new audio streaming products that will incorporate both the Reciva technology and all the new stuff they have been working on. We are looking forward to telling you about our fantastic new products in the coming months

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #6 on: 05:51:26 | 08 July, 2014 »
Thanks for the update.

However, many of us have an investment in Reciva's old technology and are anxious to know how their needs will be met during CSR's dash towards new products.

Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
dumnonia.us

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 12:22:10 | 17 September, 2014 »
Any thoughts on the future if this takeover offer goes through?

Chandler, Arizona August 29, 2014 Microchip Technology Incorporated (NASDAQ:MCHP), a leading provider of microcontroller, mixed-signal, analog and Flash-IP solutions, today announces that, further to its announcement of August 28, 2014 that it has had preliminary mutual discussions with CSR plc regarding ways in which its relationship with CSR could be advanced, including possibly an acquisition of CSR, any offer for CSR is likely to be solely in cash although Microchip reserves the right to vary the form of the consideration in any offer if one were to be made.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

shuttleman58

• Technology Trends Columnist - CQ Magazine
  • The future of communications
« Reply #8 on: 12:24:57 | 18 September, 2014 »
This is all speculation but on the face of it, a specialty chip maker does not sound like the kind of "corporate parent" that would be very interested in the legacy businesses. Ultimately, you'd have to hope they would sell the legacy Reciva stuff to Grace or someone likely to care for it and / or fully turn loose the maintenance to folks here. We'd could at least keep the database alive and maintained though probably not without some source of revenue to cover server costs. I've no idea what, if anything, CSR/Reciva get from licensees any more or what it would cost to take it all over. Wild speculation, as I say. My thoughts FWIW.  :-\
- Rob the Shuttleman
Grace Mondo GDI-IRC6000R (x2); Roku (with 28 radio apps and counting); Grace and Reciva Android apps; Yamaha RX-V473 (vTuner); Logitech UE Smart Radio; Android phone with 20 radio apps so far

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 13:34:01 | 18 September, 2014 »
I hope that the Reciva principals who sold out to CSR took some of their payment in CSR stock.  It shot up like a rocket when the takeover talk started.

Sniglar

« Reply #10 on: 13:27:39 | 19 September, 2014 »
A question from the Amazon page for the Avox Indio Link.

Q: Is is spotify connect device?

A:Dear Vishnu, Sorry to say NO, it doesn't "currently". However, the service company, CSR has been negotiating with Spotify to bring it to the service. Please do visit our web site from time to time to check if and when it can be included in the service. Thanks for asking, hope to be able to serve you soon. Best regards, Avox

....can't wait!  :)
« Last Edit: 13:33:23 | 19 September, 2014 by Sniglar »

KlaasV

« Reply #11 on: 05:28:04 | 15 October, 2014 »
The sale continues:

Qualcomm to Buy U.K. Chipmaker CSR in $2.5 Billion Deal

This section of the forum might again have to be renamed ...

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #12 on: 06:33:21 | 15 October, 2014 »
So, as capitalism takes another lurch to monopoly ...

I wonder how Qualcomm will regard us?
dumnonia.us

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 07:11:01 | 15 October, 2014 »

It may take several months before they're aware of our existence; thereafter, we'll be insignificant.

shuttleman58

• Technology Trends Columnist - CQ Magazine
  • The future of communications
« Reply #14 on: 09:26:27 | 15 October, 2014 »
It may take several months before they're aware of our existence; thereafter, we'll be insignificant.

The bigger danger is that Qualcomm decide that the Reciva businesses are "non-core" or "not a profit center" and decide to simply close them. In which case, we're back to the same discussion of how to keep the database and servers alive so the radios soldier on.
- Rob the Shuttleman
Grace Mondo GDI-IRC6000R (x2); Roku (with 28 radio apps and counting); Grace and Reciva Android apps; Yamaha RX-V473 (vTuner); Logitech UE Smart Radio; Android phone with 20 radio apps so far