Author Topic: Sangean WFR-20  (Read 2986 times)

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
Sangean WFR-20
« on: 06:34:08 | 24 September, 2014 »
One of my Sangean WFR-20s has got a bit flakey. Factory resets, etc, don't seem to do any good.

So is it time to Sharpfin?

If so, how do I do it? I haven't a clue.

Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us

Ben H

Re: Sangean WFR-20
« Reply #1 on: 03:10:43 | 26 September, 2014 »
First question is, what do you mean by "got a bit flakey"? If it's anything in the slightest hardware-related (like failing presets, forgetting the last station played, buttons getting dicey), then I wouldn't Sharpfin for anything, as I suspect it's likely to create as many problems as it creates.

Given you say "one of my..." suggests the other does what you want, suggesting it may be a (minor) hardware problem. So, what is it doing, or not doing?

Oh, if it is just a bit covered in crumbliest, flakiest chocolate, wash it under a tap and dry it in the microwave for a few minutes.... that'll certainly sort it  ;)
Radios: Reciva - Logik IR100, dnt IPdio Tune, Tevion: SkyTC - Disgo & Xenta: vTuner - Freeview MusicPal & Pioneer VSX-923: Frontier - Clarus MusicBox, Oxx Classic V, Sandstrøm SDABXIR13:  Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Radio: Roku

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #2 on: 04:10:42 | 26 September, 2014 »
I have 2 WFR-20s.  One continues to work well, but the other has taken to dropping the network after about an hour, losing contact with Reciva central then just freezes and can only be brought back by pulling the power cord.

The problems follow the individual radio around. The other WFR works well in the faulty one's position.

They're both about 6-7 years old.
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us

Ben H

« Reply #3 on: 07:12:56 | 26 September, 2014 »
Hmmm. It could be something hardwarey, couldn't it? Sounds possible it's doing that when it has warmed up, and some connection or other loosens.

If it's a memory fault/corruption, then one way to sort it reliably, without going down the Sharpfin route, is to up/downgrade the software. Assuming it's on beta, unchecking the beta on the Reciva website used to get Reciva to un-enroll the radio, it'd downgrade the software, then you could re-enroll it to upgrade it again back to beta. That wiped the corrupt memory clean in the reinstall, and sorted all sorts of ills. I have no idea if the new owners are still doing that, but it might be worth a test. I've certainly done it with quite a few radios (even with some that I never owned, enrolling them "on behalf" of their distant owners) and it has cured many similar ills, including loss of network and freezing.

I would be wary of going down the Sharpfin route with a radio that I suspected might have a real fault.... I have Sharpfinned a couple, but I'm no expert, and it's been a while. Frankly, if you can go the beta downgrade/upgrade route (first at least), I'd do that.

I would, however, suspect you may have failing hardware in there.

Radios: Reciva - Logik IR100, dnt IPdio Tune, Tevion: SkyTC - Disgo & Xenta: vTuner - Freeview MusicPal & Pioneer VSX-923: Frontier - Clarus MusicBox, Oxx Classic V, Sandstrøm SDABXIR13:  Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Radio: Roku

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #4 on: 07:23:59 | 26 September, 2014 »
A dangling dongle.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

anything