Author Topic: CSR up for sale ?  (Read 5259 times)

Buzby

CSR up for sale ?
« on: 17:27:08 | 28 November, 2014 »
I don't know if this is old news, but it looks like CSR are looking to be bought out.

http://www.csr.com/ir/takeover-offer

( Note : You have to press 'Accept' at the bottom of every page to access the offer documents. )
« Last Edit: 17:32:19 | 28 November, 2014 by Buzby »

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
Re: CSR up for sale ?
« Reply #1 on: 04:00:16 | 29 November, 2014 »
I'm not certain if that is old news or not either, but certainly Reciva/CSR et al has been passed from pillar to post recently.

I don't know it it's part of some asset stripping scam or the sign of a huge expansion. But it does knock my confidence in whether there will be an operation environment for our Reciva radios next year.
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us

Buzby

« Reply #2 on: 05:06:58 | 29 November, 2014 »
It looks like Qualcomm is the most likely aquisitor. That doesn't bode well.

Since the early 90's I have been using an email client called Eudora, owned by Qualcomm. Back in 2006 Qualcomm ditched the original version, stopped all support for it, and ensured no one could take it over. The new version is not backward compatible to the original, and seems to have not been updated since 2010.

So if Qualcomm is going to be the new owner of Reciva there could be trouble ahead.

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #3 on: 05:15:03 | 29 November, 2014 »
... there could be trouble ahead.

But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance

Dunno why I did that ...
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #4 on: 08:37:12 | 29 November, 2014 »
Dunno why I did that ...

You felt like Ginger Rogers?
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Ben H

« Reply #5 on: 12:07:07 | 29 November, 2014 »
Alan's probably got the legs, from all that cycling.....
Radios: Reciva - Logik IR100, dnt IPdio Tune, Tevion: SkyTC - Disgo & Xenta: vTuner - Freeview MusicPal & Pioneer VSX-923: Frontier - Clarus MusicBox, Oxx Classic V, Sandstrøm SDABXIR13:  Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Radio: Roku

shuttleman58

• Technology Trends Columnist - CQ Magazine
  • The future of communications
« Reply #6 on: 22:47:08 | 29 November, 2014 »
I'm not certain if that is old news or not either, but certainly Reciva/CSR et al has been passed from pillar to post recently.

I don't know it it's part of some asset stripping scam or the sign of a huge expansion. But it does knock my confidence in whether there will be an operation environment for our Reciva radios next year.

(Wild speculation follows...) In the unhappy event the Reciva operations are put to pasture, methinks the best route is to a) encourage the Grace/Avox folks to take over the server care and feeding from one of their facilities and b) form an independent entity to maintain the database which would presumably be "staffed" by users like ourselves for however long we want to keep it afloat. I know that the volunteer efforts here have wavered and only one person is tending things (wdgerber) but I'd bet that more help would be forthcoming if Grace was on-board and it alerted it's mailing list.
- Rob the Shuttleman
Grace Mondo GDI-IRC6000R (x2); Roku (with 28 radio apps and counting); Grace and Reciva Android apps; Yamaha RX-V473 (vTuner); Logitech UE Smart Radio; Android phone with 20 radio apps so far

Paul Webster

« Reply #7 on: 05:38:53 | 30 November, 2014 »
Do the Cambridge Audio devices use the Reciva database?
I ask because some of the Reciva developers went there (was a press release about it) and my guess is that if they are using it then they probably have the most skills to maintain it.

Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

drgeoff

« Reply #8 on: 05:50:04 | 30 November, 2014 »
I don't know if this is old news, but it looks like CSR are looking to be bought out.
Yes, 6 weeks old.  http://recivarefuge.net/forum/index.php?topic=1688.msg15905#msg15905

And another buyer was rumoured a month before that.  http://recivarefuge.net/forum/index.php?topic=1688.msg15800#msg15800
« Last Edit: 05:54:08 | 30 November, 2014 by drgeoff »

A. Black

« Reply #9 on: 09:11:03 | 30 November, 2014 »
It looks like Qualcomm is the most likely aquisitor. That doesn't bode well.

Since the early 90's I have been using an email client called Eudora, owned by Qualcomm. Back in 2006 Qualcomm ditched the original version, stopped all support for it, and ensured no one could take it over. The new version is not backward compatible to the original, and seems to have not been updated since 2010.

So if Qualcomm is going to be the new owner of Reciva there could be trouble ahead.

If its any consolation, CSR's Q3 unaudited financials state this (emphasis mine):

We expect that there will be an increasing demand in the wireless home entertainment ecosystem for products utilising
Bluetooth, Bluetooth Smart and Wi-Fi, combined with our technologies such as aptX and aptX Low Latency, DDFA®
power amplification, MAPX™ audio DSP and the Reciva® internet radio service.
http://www.csr.com/sites/default/files/result-presentations/results/pdf/csr_q3_2014_results_final.pdf