Author Topic: MinimServer  (Read 21317 times)

macplaxton

Re: MinimServer
« Reply #30 on: 17:22:36 | 28 February, 2015 »
I've still not got my UK proxy working, although it works fine in VLC...

If anyone wants to give these files on my Google Drive a go, please report back results.

BBC Radio.zip - this is a complete folder of 320k stream links, My Streams links and a README file. Unzip it and use as your "BBC Radio" folder which MinimServer points to.

If you wish to try streams in their other qualities, backup the 320k "BBC Radio.m3u" that is within the "BBC Radio" folder and substitute it with one of the following (rename this "BBC Radio.m3u" by removing the prefix) you may need to fully restart MinimServer:

48NONUKAAC_BBC Radio.m3u - 48 kbps HLS AAC non-UK

96NONUKAAC_BBC Radio.m3u - 96 kbps HLS AAC non-UK

128UKAAC_BBC Radio.m3u - 128 kbps HLS AAC UK

The main ZIP file contains all the station logos, so these should appear next the station (well they do on BubbleuPnP on my phone). I've tested the 48k and 96k, they are working on both my Tevion 5404 and Motorola XT894 Android "Jelly Bean" mobile.

Contrary to what I said before:
....but it still won't work just yet and be forever "connecting" on the display of the Tevion. Yes, that's because the BBC stream is getting served up straight HLS format that isn't digestible.

To sort this final hurdle out, in MinimServer Properties, go to the System tab and in the very bottom box "stream.transcode", add the following:

Code: [Select]
*:L16
Alternatively, it also works with:
Code: [Select]
*:L24
Now when you select a link from "My Streams", MinimServer will pull up the corresponding HLS stream and translate it on-the-fly into something that the Tevion will play.

FFmpeg is not required, these streams are fully sorted by MinimServer/Streamer. What I did different this time was leave the "stream.transcode" box blank and fix all the links in the .m3u file instead. So rather than having just the short code station reference in the square brackets e.g. [*R3], I made sure that the correct MIME-type was stuck on the end too e.g. [*R3;aac]

Made all the difference that. :)
Tevion 5404 & Roberts Revival iStream

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: 17:33:27 | 28 February, 2015 »
While I appreciate your contributions, I have to point out that many of them are just too geeky to be of practical use to most users of the forum.

I only make this comment in the hope that you can give some step-by-step advice for fellow readers.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

macplaxton

« Reply #32 on: 18:00:32 | 28 February, 2015 »
Point taken. I appreciate it might be more targeted at the tinkerers and geeks, but it might be useful to someone, somewhere, who isn't a user of forum, but a surfer looking to solve their problem.

There's obviously some of this information over on the MinimStreamer forum, but I had to wade through 20-odd pages to get to the bottom of it.

We're kind of at the stage where if you aren't prepared to roll your sleeves up and start messing with these not-all-that-old radios, you might as well forget reading the forum and go out to the shops and buy a new radio.

If anyone wants step-by-step advice, please do ask. If there are gaps, then please do ask me to fill them in. It does appear that a couple of posters in this thread are nearly there, but have issues with getting it to work with all of their radios.

Anyway, I'd say that setting up MinimStreamer is no harder and less likely to brick your radio than messing around with the firmware or wielding a soldering iron and attacking the innards.  I'll perhaps go back and tidy all this ramble up into a step-by-step guide.

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: 01:20:02 | 01 March, 2015 »
  I'll perhaps go back and tidy all this ramble up into a step-by-step guide.

Cheers.

A step-by-step guide would be useful!

macplaxton

« Reply #34 on: 02:41:09 | 01 March, 2015 »
I'll give it a go. You can be my sub-editor!

I can do them from a Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 7 and Linux (openSUSE, Ubuntu) perspective. Apple users will be one their own...

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: 03:03:22 | 01 March, 2015 »
Great!

The stumbling points seem to be:

1. what settings to make in the minim config

2. Confusion between the direct method (with urls in My Streams) and the upnp method (where I believe ffmpeg has to be installed and a transcode setting made in the config).

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: 05:06:00 | 01 March, 2015 »
I am using the OS X version of Minimserver (0.8.3 update 59) and Minimstreamer (0.5.4) using the BBC Radio folder provided earlier by macplaxton. I do not have FFmpeg on the Mac and the "stream.transcode" box is blank. Other settings of Minimserver have not changed from the default except of course the contentDir box.

My problem remains the same as before: It is rare for a station to start playing the first time. The TMA1 and Color radios reach 100% buffering and then nothing happens. Only after switching to another station a couple of times there is a chance that the station starts playing. However, on the Color a UPnP stream often plays a BBC station for 1 second, after which buffering kicks in. It makes me wonder whether (as has been suggested on another forum) there is a mismatch between the speed at which the radio processes data, and the data stream that Minimserver is spitting out. As mentioned before, older radios (Petite, Roberts WM-201) don't go further than "connecting".

There is an interesting thing with the station logos (png's) that are included in macplaxton's BBC Radio folder. On the iPhone using PlugPlayer as media renderer station logos are displayed perfectly and every station starts playing immediately. No buffering whatsoever.
But when the Avox Color eventually manages to play a station, no logo is displayed. Maybe the Color cannot handle png images, I will see if converting the logos to jpg makes a difference.

macplaxton

« Reply #37 on: 05:07:44 | 01 March, 2015 »
I'll have a look at those two areas and get a load of screen dumps to show what is what.

I'm not sure what the full story is between the My Streams and uPnP method. I can access all stations no problem through My Streams, but whilst I can see them in Media Player, I can't get them to play and if I change station it just wants to add the new station to the playlist queue - unless of course I clear the playlist first.

This Tevion has rather old firmware. I can't see as a uPnP device I can play to, which I think later/patched firmwares can do.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: 05:17:21 | 01 March, 2015 »
Update:
For station logos to be displayed on the Avox Color, the png's have to be converted to jpg.

macplaxton

« Reply #39 on: 06:43:17 | 01 March, 2015 »
I've not experienced any non connections or lag with my setup.

Problems could be
:

The radio themselves being slow to process the data given to it.
 (unlikely)
The quality of the wifi between the radio and the wifi router. (assuming the radio is not connected by LAN cable)
The quality of the link between the server computer and the router (mine is connected by LAN cable to an ASUS RT-N66U), this in turn is connected by LAN cable to my cable provider's gateway box. I'm on a 200Mbit cable connection.

That's all I can think of at the minute. I don't think Minim is doing too much heavy lifting to get bogged down.

Thanks for the update on the icons. I found the icons download linked to the Minim pages a bit out-of-date, plus they were a mixture of JPG and PNG. I borrowed the current ones which were all transparent PNGs and altered them by putting a white background to them. In the small number of cases where the text/logo was white, I inverted the white text to black so they could be seen on a white background. I'll make a second set up of JPGs.

Knowing "them", they'll probably rebrand everything again before long.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: 07:20:42 | 01 March, 2015 »
The Color, the TMA1 and the Mac running Minimserver are about at the same distance from the Apple Airport WiFi router. The internet download speed of the Mac measured a few minutes ago is currently 82 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up, so presumably the same figures apply to the radios. The serving Mac uses the 5 GHz 802.11ac WiFi band resulting in a 289 Mbps connection to the router. The TMA1 and Color radios operate on the 802.11n standard giving a theoretical max speed of 600 Mbps. So I don't think slowness of my WiFi network is causing the buffering and non-connection problems.

macplaxton

« Reply #41 on: 08:17:01 | 01 March, 2015 »
Try a BBC station no one listens to? I get some lousy speeds if the congestion is either in the pipe to the house or at the BBC end. Does the Minim log shed any light on the matter? I've found that the log level might need to be cranked up in detail to see what is going on.

I really want to test the higher bitrate streams to see if I experience the same issue or not with Minim. I can only confirm that VLC player with a proxy works fine at the moment. Yesterday I listened to BBC Radio Scotland's Sport sound programme for three hours solid without a glitch at 320k, but that doesn't say anything about Minim.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: 11:24:52 | 01 March, 2015 »
We can probably rule out congestion. I fed the BBC Radio.m3u playlist into VLC and tested about half of the stations - they all played immediately. No signs of congestion at the stations' end. A minute later I tried the same with the Avox Color's media player - a few stations played but most got stuck at 100% buffering. There is something not quite right between the Avox Color and TMA1 radios, and Minim server.

Time to have a look at the Minim log.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: 13:04:28 | 01 March, 2015 »
I can't make sense of it, but here is the relevant part of the debug log when the Avox Color unsuccessfully attempted to play the Radio Scotland stream. The moment when the attempt was made is at 20:42:32.632.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: 01:47:34 | 02 March, 2015 »
By following the helpful advice of the developer of Minimserver (see here) the problem with the Avox Color and TMA1 not being able to play BBC streams has been solved. The solution was to install ffmpeg (turned out to be very easy) and setting the stream.transcode property to aac:L16.

However, my older radios (Avox Petite, Roberts WMA-1) still cannot play the BBC streams in the m3u playlist, neither via UPnP nor My Streams.

Another issue that has cropped up is that there are frequent interruptions in the streams played via My Streams. Will investigate further.

anything