Author Topic: BBC World  (Read 2298 times)

hookc

BBC World
« on: 06:39:16 | 31 May, 2015 »
I’m probably the last person to discover it, but BBC World Service live stream is no longer on “older” model WiFi radios that only receive MP3. Any recourse other than upgrading to an AAC set? The ever-changing smorgasbord of file formats makes me hesitant to invest foolishly. Greatly appreciate any advice. 

castalla

• Administrator
Re: BBC World
« Reply #1 on: 07:33:14 | 31 May, 2015 »
I’m probably the last person to discover it, but BBC World Service live stream is no longer on “older” model WiFi radios that only receive MP3. Any recourse other than upgrading to an AAC set? The ever-changing smorgasbord of file formats makes me hesitant to invest foolishly. Greatly appreciate any advice.

Don't upgrade to anything (except some Pure models) as there are no internet radio sets which can handle the new BBC HLS streams.

Are you sure that WS isn't available as an mp3 stream?
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

hookc

« Reply #2 on: 08:04:30 | 31 May, 2015 »
Sadly, it’s very confusing. Reciva says BBC World Service passed “the test” and it’s among My Stations. But all I get is a loop announcement saying the BBC no longer uses Windows Media technology (or something close to that phrase). The radio is a C Crane WiFi, and answering a question why some U.S. radio stations won’t come in, Crane says its older units cannot handle AAC streams. It’s obvious tech issues are beyond me but all of the above bring confusion to a new high. Thanks for the reply!

hookc

« Reply #3 on: 08:10:30 | 31 May, 2015 »
Sorry, neglected to attach a Reciva screen pull that illustrates the point of why this seems so odd.

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 08:12:25 | 31 May, 2015 »
I'm having internet problems at the moment - so can't test anything.

Maybe somebody else can advise.

The stream you have in My Stations is a legacy message.  There are BBC mp3 streams which Reciva uses.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

hookc

« Reply #5 on: 08:26:57 | 31 May, 2015 »
Hate to keep adding to the muddle, but my Crane WiFi will still receive many of the “local” BBC stations (e.g. London, BBC Scotland, etc.) but the “we don’t do it any longer” announcement loop plays on what was and is supposed to be the World Service stream.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #6 on: 09:49:28 | 31 May, 2015 »
The BBC World Service commiseration thread is here:   http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1970.0
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

hookc

« Reply #7 on: 10:54:46 | 31 May, 2015 »
That white thing that’s waving is my surrender flag... many thanks to all who’ve tried to help in what seemed like my simple quest to continue hearing BBC World Service. Too many hoops and they’re all laced with confusion. This link from a BBC person doesn’t help immensely but suggests to me that this is and at least for a while will be a fluid mess.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/977a1954-658f-4fb2-a23c-71680c49882f

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #8 on: 10:57:35 | 31 May, 2015 »
Jeez! That old BBC thread!

Just goes to show that if you're the Beeb, you just ignore it and eventually it will go away ...
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us

anything