Author Topic: BBC begins blocking VPN access to iPlayer  (Read 5395 times)

zeewier

• Administrator

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
Re: BBC begins blocking VPN access to iPlayer
« Reply #1 on: 14:37:13 | 20 October, 2015 »
I haven't noticed this over vpn although for the most part I use a proxy server.

So far this hasn't experienced any issues, although I'm now going to be on the look out for problems.

I'm really sorry it's coming to this. My partner is American, but loves the BBC (and other UK TV) and we constantly agree that if we were able to pay the UK licence fee we would in a shot. After all the cost for whole year is hardly any more than our cable bill is for a month here.

Of course, allowing international access is fraught with rights' issues. It would be a hard job to sell Call the Midwife, Doctor Who and Top Gear to NPR if they were already available directly over ipTV.

Hopefully, it won't be back to bt but there will always be a way around.

Anyone use SlingBox?
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa | Google Home
dumnonia.us

Dogmatix

« Reply #2 on: 04:39:52 | 21 October, 2015 »
I had a go with a SlingCatcher once - I signed up for a short trial to a slingfarm, set up the SlingCatcher (used from Ebay) and was disappointed by the picture quality and the command lag. So instead I got a small PC (Lenovo Q190), swapped the HDD for an SSD, and set it up to start my VPN and go to iPlayer on bootup. So far, this has worked well enough - the picture quality is very good, although there can be buffering pauses now and then.

Should the VPN be blocked, I'll have to start playing catch-the-VPN with Aunty. Or try slingfarming to the Lenovo, maybe that works better nowadays. 
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #3 on: 05:01:55 | 21 October, 2015 »
I use a tiny form factor win PC networked via a proxy server to iPlayer, ITVplayer, etc.

I recently moved and currently my new ISP is way better than Comc@st and have only had buffering issues on very rare occasions.

I find the BBC Downloader very good too. Once you pick a programme from a series it will automatically save the rest.

Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
dumnonia.us

Dumrat

• Resident Alien
« Reply #4 on: 19:15:59 | 15 November, 2015 »
I understand subscribing to this: https://unlocator.com, might assist in downloading from the iplayer.
Anne, Logik IR100 (deceased), Roberts Stream 106x and DNT IP-dio internetradio, plus Clint F2 as doorstop, Dubai
The following users thanked this post: sogalitno

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #5 on: 19:36:35 | 15 November, 2015 »
Looks similar to unblock-us and unotelly.
dumnonia.us
The following users thanked this post: sogalitno

Dumrat

• Resident Alien
« Reply #6 on: 21:29:17 | 15 November, 2015 »
I know nothing, Alan, just passing on what I hope might be useful to someone here.  ;)
Anne, Logik IR100 (deceased), Roberts Stream 106x and DNT IP-dio internetradio, plus Clint F2 as doorstop, Dubai

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #7 on: 03:30:07 | 16 November, 2015 »
Sorry @Dumrat I wasn't trying to be snarky.

There are a number of proxy and vpn services available.

I hadn't heard of the one you mentioned.

Maybe we should compile a list.

I suspect geo-blocking will be a growing problem for people listening around the world.

The thing is, I suspect that most people wouldn't mind paying their share. My partner and I would have no problem paying for, say, open access to the iPlayer. However, it's not technology or even the collection of subs which is really the issue. It's "rights".

I mean, how can the BBC sell stuff to PBS or BBC America if most of the people who are going to want to see a particular programme have already seen it? Although, let's be honest, most people who really want to see a show will find a way to do it anyway.
dumnonia.us

Keenite

« Reply #8 on: 03:51:11 | 16 November, 2015 »
On a not overly related note, I see that there is now a PBS channel being beamed free-to-air to the UK footprint of Astra 28°E. Berlin is unfortunately outside the range of that beam.
http://www.pbsamerica.co.uk/
I believe that BBC America is handled as a premium channel in the US, or?

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #9 on: 04:06:10 | 16 November, 2015 »
BBC America is not available on basic cable with my service provider - Optimum.

We actually watch less than half a dozen of these channels.
dumnonia.us

Keenite

« Reply #10 on: 04:37:30 | 16 November, 2015 »
BBC America is not available on basic cable with my service provider - Optimum.

We actually watch less than half a dozen of these channels.

Just checked out the Optimum site - looks as if you need to subscribe to "Optimum Preferred" ($75/month) to get BBC America (HD) and World News. Seems awfully pricey for what you get, i.e. dozens, if not hundreds of useless channels.
Can't believe how much US providers cost. For internet, TV, phone and premium channels my brother shells out over $200/month.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #11 on: 04:47:51 | 16 November, 2015 »
I believe that BBC America is handled as a premium channel in the US, or?

BBC America usually gets bundled with several other channels (mostly unwatchable) and is sold as part of a higher-tier subscription.  Your brother's $200/mo. payment for internet, cable and phone isn't that unusual, which is why cord-cutting is trendy (although it's more talked-about than actually done).
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #12 on: 05:58:39 | 16 November, 2015 »
Can't believe how much US providers cost. For internet, TV, phone and premium channels my brother shells out over $200/month.

Cable and Internet here is extortionate. Often local municipalities stipulate just one provider. So much for the "market".

We're paying about usd100/pcm less in our new home than in our last one where the municipality had "an arrangement" with a single operator which paid thousands of dollars per month into the township with no auditable or traceable benefit to the community, although it must have gone somewhere, yes?

Don't ask. This is New Jersey, USA.

There are three providers in this street where I live now, possibly accounting for a slightly cheaper service. However, my son in the UK has a similar service, but with internet which is in the region of, at least, 10x faster for about half the price, or less. And the UK is no paragon, either.
dumnonia.us

Keenite

« Reply #13 on: 10:12:19 | 16 November, 2015 »
One thing hampering cable-cutters here is that Germany chose to broadcast its DVB TV channels in SD, not in HD as in France and other countries. Of course this does not impact those with sat receivers, whereas people living in built-up areas without the possibility of installing a dish require cable or internet TV in order to get HD quality. Still, most cable providers offer BBC World, TV5, RT, CNN etc. as part of their basic packages.

sogalitno

« Reply #14 on: 21:03:33 | 24 January, 2016 »
thanks to the members for their suggestions to get bbc iPlayer  even though i have a lifetime membership with a vpn service (oh well maybe it will come in handy someday for another country)

i just tested one of the referenced services and am seeing content that i couldnt previously.

i am ever grateful!

Grace Solo Radio