Author Topic: BBC radio and VPN  (Read 1643 times)

Keenite

BBC radio and VPN
« on: 10:31:25 | 11 November, 2015 »
For the past few months, I have not been able to listen to BBC national stations on any of my Reciva or FS radios without unblock-us running. This seems odd, inasmuch as a friend of mine in Berlin receives them fine on his FS Medion radio - any ideas?
Or is it because I have the 128 mps stream stored, whereas I would need the lower bit rate stream to get around geoblocking?
« Last Edit: 10:38:55 | 11 November, 2015 by Keenite »

Dogmatix

Re: BBC radio and VPN
« Reply #1 on: 12:02:05 | 11 November, 2015 »
I have not had any geoblocking problems with BBC national radio. Radios 4 and 4 Extra 128kbps MP3 streams (I very rarely tune to the other stations) work fine for me on Reciva and FS radios at home (via Telekom broadband), and on my Avox Grande at work which connects via an AldiTalk SIM card in a UMTS-WLAN modem thing. 
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

sogalitno

« Reply #2 on: 20:38:56 | 24 January, 2016 »
bbc iPlayer tv is now blocking vpn.

it was fine during the holidays and even a week ago.
here is what is now posted on their "help" page

If the Outside UK message is a recent problem, try reopening your browser and resetting your router. If that fails, just try a little later as there could have been a network error that may resolve itself.

Private VPN (Virtual Private Network) or Web accelerator

If you are using a VPN and are in the UK, try disabling to see if that helps. If we detect you might be using a VPN, you’ll be unable to play programmes. This is because we’re unable to detect the end point of your private network; we need to be confident you’re in the UK.

upsetting news .
Grace Solo Radio

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #3 on: 06:17:07 | 26 January, 2016 »
I'm not certain what's going on, but at this minute, I am able to VPN to the UK from the US, and iPlayer seems to be working okay. Unotelly is also working, so maybe there is something else going on?
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us

sogalitno

« Reply #4 on: 13:08:26 | 26 January, 2016 »
just was trying myself and VPN is working again to UK from US...

cant use unotelly at work, so was trying my vpn service and surprise!
WTF but ok so maybe i will wait to buy my unotelly sub.
Grace Solo Radio

anything