Author Topic: BBC streams now in DASH format  (Read 15758 times)

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
Re: BBC streams now in DASH format
« Reply #15 on: 09:35:56 | 03 December, 2015 »
I'll decide how easy it is....  ;)
You don't mention BBCXMLParser.pm which I'm sure was part of what I had to do to get where I am now.
Incidentally I'm wary of Sourceforge just now. A friend found his PC riddled with malware after using a Sourceforge download of Filezilla for Windows.
ANOTHERBOB  
RECIVA RADIOS...... Bush TR2015. 2x Ministry of Sound MOSAC150. AVOX Indio Color.
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  REVO PIXIS RX. Squeezebox Touch. PURE One Flow. Zettaly Avy ZA-407

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: 11:49:01 | 03 December, 2015 »
I'll decide how easy it is....  ;)
You don't mention BBCXMLParser.pm which I'm sure was part of what I had to do to get where I am now.
Incidentally I'm wary of Sourceforge just now. A friend found his PC riddled with malware after using a Sourceforge download of Filezilla for Windows.

Everything is rolled-up in the plugin - no need to modify any files!

Well, the malware was probably in Filezilla!
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

Crystalset

« Reply #17 on: 03:09:25 | 04 December, 2015 »
I wonder how long the Beeb will leave the mp3 format in place.

Dogmatix

« Reply #18 on: 03:24:52 | 04 December, 2015 »
I wonder how long the Beeb will leave the mp3 format in place.

In a response to a comment on the BBC Blog "Digital Distribution: How on demand content reaches audiences", Mr Benedetto wrote: "In the next month or so we'll publish a new blog post with an update on what has been happening since the launch of Audio Factory." That was on 7th October. There has been no such update as yet.

He also wrote: "Hopefully that will address at least some of your concerns." Somehow, I doubt it. Rather a lot. The Audio Factory does not have a brilliant record on addressing people's concerns.

But I'm sure they'll let us know reach out to us about switching off the MP3 streams. A week or two afterwards. With lots of graphics and modern business buzzwords to show what a Luddite lot we are, with our ancient internet radios.
« Last Edit: 03:30:45 | 04 December, 2015 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.
The following users thanked this post: Crystalset

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #19 on: 03:41:39 | 04 December, 2015 »
In a response to a comment on the BBC Blog "Digital Distribution: How on demand content reaches audiences",

Quote from: BBC
"This entry is now closed for comments."

Quelle surprise!
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us

Keenite

« Reply #20 on: 11:03:54 | 05 December, 2015 »
Haven't been following BBC shenanigans closely, but noticed today that on both Reciva and Frontier all national BBC radio channels are all off air - so is that it for the BBC and Reciva/FS?

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 12:23:33 | 05 December, 2015 »
Those BBC radio channels are still working here.

Dogmatix

« Reply #22 on: 14:25:00 | 05 December, 2015 »
Fine here, too.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

Keenite

« Reply #23 on: 00:54:32 | 06 December, 2015 »
Thanks. Must be something to do with my router's DNS settings. After resetting unblock they seem to work again.
Please remind me again which radios are currently able to handle the new BBC streaming standard?
I like the looks of this one, but probably won't buy a new IR unless it can ensure future BBC listening.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-Radio-Stream217-Internet-Spotify/dp/B008VPFG82/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449392767&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=roberts+internet+radio&psc=1
« Last Edit: 01:07:24 | 06 December, 2015 by Keenite »

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 01:16:06 | 06 December, 2015 »
Pure One Flow (and a couple of other Pures) - awful user interface

Sonos

Squeezeboxes which use the LMS server and iPlayer plugin

-------------------------------------

Only SBs have DASH, and only SBs have a decent listen-again feature

-------------------------------------

You can also use some UPnP devices as SB players (very much a hit'n'miss route, as many don't follow the upnp standards)

It is also now possible to use a Chromecast as a SB player

Dogmatix

« Reply #25 on: 01:36:05 | 06 December, 2015 »
The Revo man at the Funkausstellung told me that the Revo Pixis RX, SuperConnect and SuperSystem will get BBC able updates. I also have confirmation of that by e-mail. I have seen the SuperConnect in the MediaMarkt and Saturn stores 'am Alex'. They are also listed at conrad.de. They're pretty pricey, though. They're also bigger than they look in the pictures.

I also saw the Roberts Stream 93i and Stream Revival 2 at Saturn at the Europa Centre - at not quite twice the UK Amazon price...
« Last Edit: 09:10:33 | 16 February, 2016 by Dogmatix »

Keenite

« Reply #26 on: 01:41:10 | 06 December, 2015 »
So if I understand correctly, at the present time only a small handfull of radios will be compatible. Have BBC announced when the final change-over is to take place? Wouldn't that block access for most current listeners who only have internet radios?

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 02:25:35 | 06 December, 2015 »
AFAIK - no dates available.  In fact, the DASH streams are really only at a test stage (so urls may change in future).  The thinking is that the Beeb will likely have to keep HLS alongside Dash (until Apple implement dash).  Tunein is using mp3 streams (and HLS to Sonos).

A nice feature of dash is that it's possible to rewind live streams to a previous start point.

Dogmatix

« Reply #28 on: 04:12:32 | 06 December, 2015 »
I think that Revo and Roberts, being UK brands selling mainly in the UK market, will do all they can to push FS to make BBC-able upgrades for as many of their models as will take it, or failing that, the BBC to keep the MP3 streams (good luck with that, though!).

Most of the rest just ain't bovvered.

drgeoff

« Reply #29 on: 09:04:06 | 06 December, 2015 »
It is also now possible to use a Chromecast as a SB player
Chromecast or Chromecast Audio?  Can you provide a link to futher info on using as a SB player?

anything