Author Topic: Is the future with ANDROID devices.  (Read 4746 times)

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
Is the future with ANDROID devices.
« on: 03:04:15 | 16 December, 2015 »
First the Zettaly Avy (which I have found to be excellent), and now this....
http://bebox.gomohu.com/#discover-bebox
At $500 it's expensive, and currently only available in the USA.
ANOTHERBOB  
RECIVA RADIO...... AVOX Indio Color.
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  REVO PIXIS RX. Squeezebox Touch. PURE One Flow. Zettaly Avy ZA-407

Dogmatix

Re: Is the future with ANDROID devices.
« Reply #1 on: 03:41:13 | 16 December, 2015 »
It's also rather big.

As an internet radio, both the Avy and the Bebox are overkill, in the same way as a smartphone is. There's too much else going on, and internet radio is just an afterthought. And unless it has a self-starting app which plays an internet radio station at the touch of a (singular) button, it doesn't beat an internet radio for listening to internet radio.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #2 on: 05:03:03 | 16 December, 2015 »
One advantage these android boxes have over internet radios is the ability to keep up with changing audio formats.  Internet radios have lost functionality as broadcasters have switched to HE AAC, then HLS and now DASH and there is little financial incentive for the few remaining brands to keep up.

That said, the Mohu box isn't likely to appeal to internet radio buffs (all dozen of us) but it might find favor with bluetooth speaker fans who want to add something extra to their speakers.  It's too expensive and slightly obnoxious for my tastes;  I imagine it will be used primarily to loudly annoy people at beaches and parks.  I'm pretty happy with the Zettaly Avy.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

tgold

« Reply #3 on: 19:34:35 | 08 April, 2016 »
These are now less than $100 from Amazon (including postage with Prime) and that plus Tune-In knocks the spots off my Grace radios. Also, using VPN plus BBC iPlayer I get BBC TV on the same box.
« Last Edit: 19:54:38 | 08 April, 2016 by tgold »

Natural Sound

« Reply #4 on: 06:50:04 | 10 April, 2016 »
These are now less than $100 from Amazon (including postage with Prime) and that plus Tune-In knocks the spots off my Grace radios. Also, using VPN plus BBC iPlayer I get BBC TV on the same box.

I can't find it at that price. Can you please provide a link?

tgold

« Reply #5 on: 08:31:16 | 10 April, 2016 »
Sorry to see that Zettaly, the Amazon seller, has now jacked that price up to $198.66 plus postage (and a different seller is offering it for for $269.99 with free postage). I just received one of these at the $99.95 price and fortunately I placed a second order at the same time that I made my earlier post. I don't know if that was an error from which I benefited or whether the price may fall again later. Keep your eye on the the item and good luck.

Hint: If you add it to your Amazon shopping cart and then move it to Save for Later you will receive emails from Amazon as and when there are price changes.
« Last Edit: 08:38:43 | 10 April, 2016 by tgold »

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 16:09:22 | 10 April, 2016 »
I've spent all day trying to fix an android fail after I had to change the battery in my Samsung Galaxy S music player.  An utter pain as the Playstore failed to work.  Even now after lots of sideloading, factory resets, etc. I get the dreaded invalid package file message when trying to install a certain app.  Awful.

Pray your android radios never go awol!
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

tgold

« Reply #7 on: 18:07:00 | 12 April, 2016 »

I can't find it at that price. Can you please provide a link?
They are back at $99.95 here: http://www.amazon.com/Zettaly-Wireless-Speaker-Internet-Powered/dp/B00WR3W2TA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A258SDO4NNNAIB
« Last Edit: 18:10:48 | 12 April, 2016 by tgold »

Dogmatix

« Reply #8 on: 22:30:14 | 12 April, 2016 »
Also back on Amazon.co.uk at £99.99.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

anotherbob

« Reply #9 on: 02:20:12 | 14 July, 2016 »
An update on my experience with the Zettaly Avy....
I've had to retire mine from use because of concerns about the battery.
I noticed that the battery cover on the base of the unit was distorting. I removed it to find this was caused by the battery swelling. It felt like an inflated balloon. I slit the outer covering and it was clear that the swelling had been caused by gas which escaped when I made the slit. (It didn't smell good).
I've always assumed that since the device has a CE symbol it was safe to leave powered on.
ANOTHERBOB  
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  REVO PIXIS RX. Squeezebox Touch. PURE One Flow. Zettaly Avy ZA-407

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 03:45:27 | 14 July, 2016 »
An update on my experience with the Zettaly Avy....
I've had to retire mine from use because of concerns about the battery.
I noticed that the battery cover on the base of the unit was distorting. I removed it to find this was caused by the battery swelling. It felt like an inflated balloon. I slit the outer covering and it was clear that the swelling had been caused by gas which escaped when I made the slit. (It didn't smell good).
I've always assumed that since the device has a CE symbol it was safe to leave powered on.

Ah ... the curse of the inbuilt battery rendering a device useless .... I've stopped buying anything which doesn't have a decent removable/replaceable battery
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #11 on: 04:13:53 | 14 July, 2016 »
At least you got rid of it before it burned down your house. Is there an equivalent to the Consumer Products Safety Commission you can notify?
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

anotherbob

« Reply #12 on: 07:59:59 | 14 July, 2016 »
I've contacted Zettaly Inc. through Amazon UK asking for their comments. The guarantee period is over but we'll see what they say.
ANOTHERBOB  

tadworth506

« Reply #13 on: 12:01:00 | 14 July, 2016 »
Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply from. Zetally. My one packed up within the guarantee period and I emailed Zetally and got a reply back with a suggestion that l disconnect the battery to effectively reboot the device. This didn't resolve anything so I contacted them again and they then replied with information all in Chinese how to download the Android programme. As I have a zero understanding of Chinese I had great difficulty in following this with no success and am convinced that the unit had developed a hardware fault.
I again contacted them and stated that I had tried their suggestions to no avail and as it was still under guarantee with them ( and referred to the guarantee outlined in the instruction manual) could they please arrange for repair or replacement.
No reply and after resending my email again no reply.
I eventually contacted Amazon which is not easy as their contact details are very difficult to find on their web site. I explained Zetally's appalling so called guarantee and they gave me a full refund and said if I wanted another one to place a fresh order.
In view of the unreliability of the unit and Zetally's guarantee to be a farce I decided against this and instead bought a tablet and a Bluetooth amplifier which gives me the same facilities as the Zetally
IR100's....OXX Digital...IRMA1...BT internet radio....Freecom Musicpal(v.tuner)...tranciva (frontier silicon)... Acoustic Solutions Net008..Roberts stream 83i... No reason at all why I need so many...and now a Pure One Flow so I again can listen to BBC Listen Again.Also have Zettaly Avy

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #14 on: 13:22:24 | 15 July, 2016 »
If you're in the US:

Amazon Customer Service: +1 888 280 4331

Sorry I can't quote for UK, although I expect someone might be able to?

They don't make it easy.
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us