Author Topic: WSOC-FM aka The New 103.7  (Read 8080 times)

TammieM3ENF

WSOC-FM aka The New 103.7
« on: 06:34:46 | 04 March, 2016 »
(Hope this is the correct place to ask this, apologies if it's not!)

I am trying to find a receiver here in England that will play WSOC-FM (which is also known in searches as The New 103.7), it's based in Charlotte, NC.

My Sony hi-fi (which used vTuner) stopped supporting vTuner in 2015, so my lovely shiny hi-fi with wi-fi now no longer has any internet radio facility. I've worked around this by connecting a little Pure internet radio receiver via the Audio-In jack on the front.

But, Pure don't have WSOC-FM / The New 103.7 listed and even though they sent me a link to add it manually, it doesn't work. I'm told it's geo-restricted but can listen via their website using the Hola app. Which is no good because I want a stand-alone radio.

Help?!?  Is there a radio that will let me hear this station, or a workaround or something/anything?

zeewier

• Administrator
Re: WSOC-FM aka The New 103.7
« Reply #1 on: 09:25:08 | 04 March, 2016 »
I tried to listen via their website but failed, due to the stream being geo-restricted (I am in the UK).

I had a look at the station's entry in the Reciva database (https://radios.reciva.com/station/12405) which uses http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/WSOCFM.pls as stream URL, but it has failed Reciva's stream test. So at the moment Reciva radios are unable to play the station via Reciva's station list unless and until the stream URL is updated. What is the link that Pure sent you?
« Last Edit: 09:31:48 | 04 March, 2016 by zeewier »

Dogmatix

« Reply #2 on: 10:27:44 | 04 March, 2016 »
The station is listed on Frontier Silicon as "The New 103.7", but, of course, it won't play here.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

TammieM3ENF

« Reply #3 on: 10:41:48 | 04 March, 2016 »
http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/WSOCFM.pls

That's the link, they said "We currently do not add geo-restricted stations to Pure Connect, but you can create a custom station in your Pure Connect account by using the above stream". Which I did, but it doesn't work.

This also:

http://radio-locator.com/info/WSOC-FM

That's the radio locator info page.

I think because as you both say, it's geo-restricted. If I buy a new receiver (no idea what, but not Pure) then I'll have exactly the same issue. I don't have the know-how/tech to alter my router settings etc to let in geo-restricted stations. I can listen via the website with Hola/Zenmate but that of course won't cover a standalone wi-fi radio.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #4 on: 11:32:24 | 04 March, 2016 »
I added http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/WSOCFM.pls to Reciva's "my streams" here in the USA and it does play.  So it must be geoblocked in the UK.  There are certain people here, such at @Alan E Hill among others, who are familiar with various ways and means to overcome geoblocking and they may respond.

Edit -- the radio reports it plays at 56 kbps mp3
Radios:  2 Grace GDI-IRDT200s, Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 14:22:53 | 04 March, 2016 »
Hmmm --- I tried the stream you gave with a dns relocator - doesn't work.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #6 on: 17:37:33 | 04 March, 2016 »
No real help, but plays fine here in NJ.
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa | Google Home
dumnonia.us

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
« Reply #7 on: 04:15:54 | 05 March, 2016 »
I can listen via the website with Hola/Zenmate but that of course won't cover a standalone wi-fi radio.
Maybe an untidy workaround, but how about using a Bluetooth adapter connected to your shiny hi-fi and a cheap android phone or tablet and Hola?
ANOTHERBOB  
RECIVA RADIO...... AVOX Indio Color.
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  Squeezebox Touch. Squeezebox Radio. Clazio MA-607. REVO Pixis RX

TammieM3ENF

« Reply #8 on: 07:08:12 | 05 March, 2016 »
I can listen via the website with Hola/Zenmate but that of course won't cover a standalone wi-fi radio.
Maybe an untidy workaround, but how about using a Bluetooth adapter connected to your shiny hi-fi and a cheap android phone or tablet and Hola?

Don't think the hi-fi is Bluetooth... :) I suppose another way around is use a (very) long audio cable from the sound output of my PC into the hi-fi (if that's possibly), so the audio comes out the speakers instead of the computer speakers. I suppose that's no bad thing but it'd be a loooooooong cable.

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
« Reply #9 on: 14:06:18 | 05 March, 2016 »
Don't think the hi-fi is Bluetooth... :)
Your hi-fi doesn't need to be Bluetooth. If you buy a receiver, like this one....
http://tinyurl.com/jxp2xkb
... then plug the output into the AUX input on your hi-fi (you might need a jack to RCA adapter) then you can play anything from your phone or tablet through your hi-fi.
« Last Edit: 14:34:15 | 05 March, 2016 by anotherbob »
ANOTHERBOB  
RECIVA RADIO...... AVOX Indio Color.
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  Squeezebox Touch. Squeezebox Radio. Clazio MA-607. REVO Pixis RX

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 15:15:58 | 05 March, 2016 »
I've tried the url given earlier with unotelly - doesn't work - very unusual.

It must be possible.

TammieM3ENF

« Reply #11 on: 04:02:23 | 06 March, 2016 »
Don't think the hi-fi is Bluetooth... :)
Your hi-fi doesn't need to be Bluetooth. If you buy a receiver, like this one....
http://tinyurl.com/jxp2xkb
... then plug the output into the AUX input on your hi-fi (you might need a jack to RCA adapter) then you can play anything from your phone or tablet through your hi-fi.

The station won't play on my iPhone or iPad... unless I alter the settings via UnoTelly as Alan suggested... I'm not sure I want to change that sort of thing on those devices. Plus, I didn't want to drain my batteries down playing the stations via my phone or tablet. That's why I wanted it through a dedicated internet radio. I have a Pure Siesta Flow - very tiny and fiddly - but I can't seem to work out how to change the DNS settings in the menu or else I'd try that.

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #12 on: 04:36:25 | 06 March, 2016 »
The station won't play on my iPhone or iPad... unless I alter the settings via UnoTelly as Alan suggested... I'm not sure I want to change that sort of thing on those devices.

You have few options if you want to get around geo-blocking and using a proxy server like UnoTelly et al is pretty much the easiest. Geo-blocking is the radio station provider's choice not ours, our device manufacturers' or portal providers. It's an unfortunate fact of life in the internet radio community.

Most internet radio devices have a means of assigning a DNS server other than the ones provided your internet provider. Often they're undocumented deep in the menus of the devices. Frequently, it's a voyage of discovery for all of us ;)
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa | Google Home
dumnonia.us

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 04:56:43 | 06 March, 2016 »
I'll have a bash at setting up my Pure One Flow with a unotelly dns later today, and will report back

EDIT:  set up Pure to use unotelly.  Added the pls URL as a favourite.   Doesn't play - message that stream is temporarily unavailable

Anybody got an actual stream url, say mp3 ?

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 07:07:45 | 06 March, 2016 »
Okay - finally got this working on Vlc using the https://billing.cactusvpn.com/free-smartdns-trial/ route

I assume it'll also work on the Pure - I'll try it later today.

anything