Author Topic: Jupiter 6.5 from Frontier Smart Technologies (Frontier Silion)  (Read 841 times)

LesCornwall

Has anyone tried out any of the new Frontier Homebrew kits?
 I noticed a few ads on Ebay and looked on the FS corporate site
I'd like a bit of feedback before I get committed to parting with cash
http://www.frontier-silicon.com/jupiter-65
1 AE, 1 AS Net008, 2 BT Internet Radios, 3 Intempo GX-01, 2 Logik IR100, 1 Logik Irm1, 2 Morphy Richards 2725, 1 KitSound Surfex (Frontier Silicon), 2 Philips NP1100 (Tunein/RadioTime ) Pure Evoke Flow,Pure One Flow (Pure Connect)

LesCornwall

1 AE, 1 AS Net008, 2 BT Internet Radios, 3 Intempo GX-01, 2 Logik IR100, 1 Logik Irm1, 2 Morphy Richards 2725, 1 KitSound Surfex (Frontier Silicon), 2 Philips NP1100 (Tunein/RadioTime ) Pure Evoke Flow,Pure One Flow (Pure Connect)

Dogmatix

Re: Jupiter 6.5 from Frontier Smart Technologies (Frontier Silion)
« Reply #2 on: 06:34:24 | 17 October, 2017 »
Good find, Les!

I have seen these units on display at the Frontier Silicon stand at the Funkausstelling (IFA) in Berlin. Unfortunately, the stand is only manned by a young lady or two, who can make appointments for trade visitors and not much else - they know diddly-squat about the units on display.

The Jupiter 6.5 is not a homebrew kit. It is basically a test-bed development unit for brands to try out various options on before placing an order with OEMs for radios and Frontier for firmware support. It is not meant to get out into the wild.

I have no idea if brand developers have a means of editing the firmware themselves, or if they have to work with Frontier at every step of the development. The seller does not say which level of firmware this Jupiter has, or if Frontier will support it with further updates (doubtful - Frontier are not frightfully keen to engage with end-users).

The seller says that the radio works (but the remote is missing, and finding a replacement will be next to impossible). It will probably work with the UNDOK up, which is an updated version of DOK. Without the right firmware, it will not support the BBC's DASH streams or podcasts. And you may need to replace one of the backlight LED's.

For a collector of internet radios, it may be of interest as a rarity. The housing is interesting, too, but will probably be a bit scratched.

I'd be interested myself, if it were not for the uncertainty over the firmware level and updates. I see there are only 20 minutes left and no takers - maybe the seller would accept an offer?

« Last Edit: 06:39:28 | 17 October, 2017 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Re: Jupiter 6.5 from Frontier Smart Technologies (Frontier Silion)
« Reply #3 on: 07:44:39 | 17 October, 2017 »
It looks like a demo model from a trade show.  I'd be interested in how the seller got his hands on it.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

anything