Author Topic: Grade Digital Solo - momentary lapse of reason...  (Read 1365 times)

Keenite

Grade Digital Solo - momentary lapse of reason...
« on: 12:52:12 | 28 October, 2017 »
I accidently plugged a 15V adapter into my 5-V Solo. Now, with the right adapter it fires up, but, the screen remains blue with a small blip when I turn it on. It still works on the presets, and with a bit of blind fiddling I can scroll to find new stations. Thee "shift" function is intact, the remote works, as do all the other buttons and knobs, except for the volume button. The volume adjustment via the remote is OK. Audio seems OK.
Does this indicate that only the display is fried, or might there be another issue here? If it is the display, where can I get a replacement one?
« Last Edit: 13:12:13 | 28 October, 2017 by Keenite »

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Re: Grade Digital Solo - momentary lapse of reason...
« Reply #1 on: 13:31:22 | 28 October, 2017 »
I can't imagine that it's worth fixing.  I checked e-bay and saw no Solos for sale.  Unless somebody in Germany is sitting on some parts or a refurbished Solo, I'd put my money in a new Mondo Plus on a visit here.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps
The following users thanked this post: Keenite

drgeoff

« Reply #2 on: 09:28:43 | 29 October, 2017 »
If it was just the display not working then I would look inside the radio and compare it with the displays you find by putting '16x4 lcd' into the search box on ebay.

However, I'm not convinced that a fault in the display would also cause the volume buttons not to work.  Not saying that is not possible.

And you need to possess, and be proficient with, a soldering iron.

Keenite

« Reply #3 on: 14:32:22 | 29 October, 2017 »
I do have a soldering iron, though my profiency in that skill has waned over the years.
And yes, also thought that perhaps something else is awry.  The display already had a few pixel errors and they can still be seen, so perhaps it is something that drives the display that is all to cock? It dims when turned off, so some of its functions still appear to work.
Will take the back off and see if there is anything that springs to the eye. Otherwise will continue to use it until I have to enter a new wireless key, at which time it will be unceremoniusly worked over with a hammer.

Keenite

« Reply #4 on: 14:39:01 | 29 October, 2017 »
I can't imagine that it's worth fixing.  I checked e-bay and saw no Solos for sale.  Unless somebody in Germany is sitting on some parts or a refurbished Solo, I'd put my money in a new Mondo Plus on a visit here.
Yea, it's interesting just how few of these are on offer on ebay. Am not sure if that is because there were so few of them sold, or because their owners do not want to part with them? I've always been happy with mine, too bad I didn't have my glasses on yesterday...
« Last Edit: 02:20:05 | 30 October, 2017 by Keenite »

dh

• Former Reciva Engineer
« Reply #5 on: 04:00:49 | 30 October, 2017 »
I managed the same a couple of times, was the problem when you had all the voltages on your desk! My heart sank when I fried the Solo I had used for almost three years!

IIRC it was around $50 for a like-for-like replacement including shipping from Hong Kong, as it was a discontinued part. If you ask dp he might still have the details. Alternatively an email to Grace Digital, as they might be able to add something from their box of spares if you buy a Mondo+ from them directly.
Views my own, not my previous employer's. I'll help where I can but this is not an official support channel.

anything