Author Topic: Google Home devices  (Read 2246 times)

castalla

• Administrator
Re: Google Home devices
« Reply #15 on: 07:31:57 | 29 November, 2017 »
Of the two, I think Amazon has the edge over Google over device & customer support.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #16 on: 08:03:43 | 29 November, 2017 »
Of the two, I think Amazon has the edge over Google over device & customer support.

You're probably correct re customer support, but Forbes picked the Google for being the best informed:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2017/11/28/google-home-mini-vs-amazons-echo-dot-45-complex-questions-1-clear-winner/#50f07c171910
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

ShortWave Dave

• Dave's Homemade Radios
« Reply #17 on: 08:43:37 | 29 November, 2017 »
It took Google about 6 months to enable BT in the GH. I think the BT standard is worldwide (just a guess), and all the Google Homes are the same too (another guess). My deduction is due to government regulation as BT is a radio, they have not been approved in your country. I'm sure that once the blessing is given, GH will have BT too, and it won't require a new purchase.

BTW, as disclosure, I own two Echo's and one Dot. When the price went down on them, I picked them up. As this is an internet radio forum, I would like to say how nice that volume ring is on top of the Echo. It allows for fine adjustment of the levels instead of the coarser level changes offered by voice. This makes it pleasant to have next to my bed and listen as I go to sleep. They were first with the sleep timer, but GH has it now here in the US.

The GH and Echo makes a very nice internet radio at an affordable price.

Dave
Dave-N2DS, Google Home, Alexa, Mondo, Encore Plus.

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 10:59:13 | 29 November, 2017 »
Bluetooth regulation required ?  That's a new excuse I've never heard before!

The fact is they are basically run on what seems to be alpha level firmware - god knows what a pile of rubbish they are collecting with the stupid voice feedback, which sends after about 10 secs without any warning.  Utter rubbish.

They look good, nice sound but otherwise they are badly thought-out - try picking the Mini up by one hand to move it.  You naturally grasp it by its sides and the volume level goes crazy!  That cloth cover is going to look pretty grubby in a few months if it's in reach of jam (jello) covered little fingers.

I hope the google-powered driverless cars are better thought-out than the GHomes!

ShortWave Dave

• Dave's Homemade Radios
« Reply #19 on: 13:34:00 | 29 November, 2017 »
Hi Solo2
I'm happy to report that my new sound bar with built in Chromecast arrived today (instead of Dec 4). I hooked it up. Had to use my Android phone on wifi to get it going. Once I named the sound bar, I went to the Home app and told my GH in the living room to send media to the  sound bar. Works like a charmed. I'm really chuffed.

Dave
Dave-N2DS, Google Home, Alexa, Mondo, Encore Plus.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 14:41:55 | 29 November, 2017 »
Hi Solo2
I'm happy to report that my new sound bar with built in Chromecast arrived today (instead of Dec 4). I hooked it up. Had to use my Android phone on wifi to get it going. Once I named the sound bar, I went to the Home app and told my GH in the living room to send media to the  sound bar. Works like a charmed. I'm really chuffed.

Dave

I'm glad to learn that it worked for you.  We also now know to scratch the Google Home Mini off of castalla's Christmas list.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps
The following users thanked this post: ShortWave Dave

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 15:46:29 | 29 November, 2017 »
Hi Solo2

Dave

I'm glad to learn that it worked for you.  We also now know to scratch the Google Home Mini off of castalla's Christmas list.

True 'cos I've got 2 of the blighters!

Can you test: set a reminder, and confirm you get a notification on your Home ?

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 17:13:38 | 29 November, 2017 »
I got it to save a reminder for a certain time, but when that time came and went, nothing in particular happened.  So I got on the chat with Google support and spent about a 1/2 hour with the plug-and-unplug lady.  She couldn't get it to do anything, either, and said she would escalate the report and they'll be in touch. We'll see.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: 17:28:19 | 29 November, 2017 »
I fiddled around with it on my own.  Apparently it will set a reminder if you say a date, e.g. November 29th, along with a time, but if you just say "today" or "tomorrow" it won't work.  But by saying a complete date and time, I did have success getting it to remind me to do something.

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 02:09:10 | 30 November, 2017 »
Strange ... allows me to set the reminder BUT still no announcement on the Mini at the set time.   Quite a lot of reports of this not working on the help forum, but no coherent explanation from Google ...

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: 04:08:20 | 30 November, 2017 »
Strange ... allows me to set the reminder BUT still no announcement on the Mini at the set time.   Quite a lot of reports of this not working on the help forum, but no coherent explanation from Google ...

Although I got it to work, sort of, I wouldn't want to rely on it for anything important.

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 05:44:03 | 30 November, 2017 »
Not Google but Alexa ....

Zipp/Zipp Mini - Amazon Alexa
Your wish is ZIPP's command!

We're happy to announce we’re joining the smart home revolution by adding Amazon Alexa skill and voice integration to our ZIPP and ZIPP MINI speakers.

We believe in setting sound free, and the Amazon Alexa makes it even easier to operate the range of features and functions of the Libratone ZIPP.

Amazon Alexa voice command control and integration will be available to all existing ZIPP and ZIPP MINI customers totally free of charge.

The roll-out will follow a 2 step model.

Beginning December Libratone will release speaker firmware allowing ZIPP and ZIPP MINI to act on received commands (start, stop, skip, back, change volume) from Amazon Echo and Echo Dot.

Later - in Q1 2018 - the next speaker firmware will follow. This time Libratone will implement full near field voice integration to the ZIPP and ZIPP MINI speaker. Tap your ZIPP or ZIPP MINI speaker and ask Alexa to play music, make calls, send and receive messages, provide information etc.

Cool, right!

Existing users will automatically be notified about both updates on the Libratone App.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 07:57:39 | 30 November, 2017 »
Looks good, but 10 times the price I paid for the Google Home Mini.

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 08:57:01 | 30 November, 2017 »
Looks good, but 10 times the price I paid for the Google Home Mini.

It's a very nice speaker - wifi, airplay, bluetooth - 8 hr battery.  Got mine a year ago at a substantially reduced price.  Currently used with LMS Airplaybridge - cool.

You can also use your Mini as an LMS player via the chromecastbridge - also cool

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 16:13:24 | 30 November, 2017 »
Anybody with an Echo Dot and disappointed by the sound ... get a VAUX speaker!  Much improved sound and a portable battery.   

anything