Author Topic: HLS streams on Grace Mondo and Encore Plus Radios  (Read 638 times)

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
HLS streams on Grace Mondo and Encore Plus Radios
« on: 11:29:34 | 31 January, 2018 »
The Grace Digital Plus radios play BBC MPEG DASH highest bit rate streams if they are manually added to your favorites, no need at all for any "external" workaround.

I never got http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_low/ak/bbc_radio_fourfm.m3u8 or http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/nonuk/dash_low/ak/bbc_radio_fourfm.mpd to play successfully on the Mondo Plus by adding them to "my streams."

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_low/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8 does play successfully from "my streams," however.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

flg

Re: HLS streams on Grace Mondo and Encore Plus Radios
« Reply #1 on: 18:32:43 | 31 January, 2018 »
My previous quoted statement about Grace Digital Plus radios being able to play BBC MPEG-DASH streams was indeed incorrect, sorry.

With a Mondo+ or an Encore+, and if you are in the UK, or otherwise properly geo-unlocked, this is what you should add to "my streams", that in the case of the Grace Digital radios will virtually become a regular favorite.

This definitely works for me:

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_fourfm.m3u8

What you provided does also work for me, and is the correct stream if you are not in the UK or geo-locked:

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_low/ak/bbc_radio_fourfm.m3u8

Lets please not turn this into a geo-unlocking discussion.
« Last Edit: 11:26:45 | 01 February, 2018 by flg »
Radios in use (Azores): Sangean WFT-3, M3 muvid IR 815, Grace Digital Encore+, Roberts Stream 107, Sangean WFR-27C
Radios in use (USA): Hama DIT2010MBT (x2), Grace Digital Mondo+, Roberts Stream 107, Sangean WFR-27C, Sangean WFR-20
Retired radios: Sangean WFR-1 (x2)

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 19:22:55 | 31 January, 2018 »
Did you ever get a .mpd, MPEG DASH, stream to play on either radio, as opposed to the HLS streams?
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

flg

« Reply #3 on: 22:01:44 | 31 January, 2018 »
No, I cannot, just tried the .mpd stream that you mentioned above, and it doesn't work with the Mondo+.
« Last Edit: 09:26:55 | 05 February, 2018 by flg »
Radios in use (Azores): Sangean WFT-3, M3 muvid IR 815, Grace Digital Encore+, Roberts Stream 107, Sangean WFR-27C
Radios in use (USA): Hama DIT2010MBT (x2), Grace Digital Mondo+, Roberts Stream 107, Sangean WFR-27C, Sangean WFR-20

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 04:16:13 | 01 February, 2018 »
So, I guess it's fair to say that the Grace Plus radios can't play the MPEG DASH (.mpd) streams but that they can usually play the HLS (.m3u8) streams.  So long as the BBC only discontinues the mp3 streams (as announced) and not also the HLS streams, Grace Plus radio users will still be able to listen to the BBC if they add the HLS streams to "my streams."  But if the BBC decides to switch to MPEG DASH only,  BBC listeners with Grace Plus radios will be out of luck unless Grace Digital decides to revamp the firmware.  I also believe that some Frontier Silicon radios with the latest firmware already can play the MPEG DASH streams.

I think it's also apparent that listeners outside of the UK (actually or virtually) can only receive the lowest bitrate versions of the BBC streams.

flg

« Reply #5 on: 05:37:10 | 01 February, 2018 »
OK you are absolutely correct, now I understand, these .mpd are indeed the actual MPEG-DASH streams and I was simply playing the similar HLS streams, definitely not the same.

With my newer Frontier Silicon radios I can play your "nonuk" .mpd stream, but apparently I cannot play the .mpd UK stream, so the MPEG-DASH streams are somehow "more" geo-locked.

We should contact Grace in this regard, as I think Greg actually mentioned that their radios were indeed supposedly compatible with BBC MPEG-DASH, apparently currently they are not, I'm sure they will fix it. I personally have erroneously advertised them as being compatible (with anything).
« Last Edit: 11:21:00 | 01 February, 2018 by flg »

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 05:52:19 | 01 February, 2018 »
We should contact Grace in this regard, as I think Greg actually mentioned that their radios were indeed supposedly compatible with BBC MPEG-DASH, apparently currently they are not, I'm sure they will fix it. I personally have erroneously advertised them as being compatible (with anything).

Greg may be absolutely correct in saying that the Grace Plus radios are capable of playing the BBC's MPEG DASH streams in the sense that they have the processing power to do so, but at the moment, and without a software fix, they can't. We're lucky that the BBC's HLS streams mostly work.   

I doubt Grace will be interested in engineering the software changes until and unless the BBC switches off the mp3 streams.  Grace has more on its plate at the moment (e.g.,  developing another iteration of the Mondo Plus, getting Spotify Connect to work, fixing "search by genre" on the Live 365 streams, endless fiddling with the display/snooze/sleep timers, etc.) and the BBC simply isn't important enough to Grace Digital's customer base to make it worth the while.

anything