Author Topic: Question re. Yamaha-mcr-n870d and BBC in France  (Read 275 times)

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
Question re. Yamaha-mcr-n870d and BBC in France
« on: 02:44:27 | 04 March, 2018 »
I've been following a thread in another forum, one more to do with music than tech. One poster has bought one of these....
https://www.kronosav.com/products/yamaha-mcr-n870d-hi-fi-system-dab-usb-dac-musiccast

... and has subsequently posted as follows.....

It's excellent - France Musique working well, but would you believe impossible to get BBC Radio...presumably some sort of lock on it. Pretty lame of the BBC when you consider I can get it over the PC here in France.

I wondered if he was correct in his assumption that it was a case of geo-blocking or if the device might not be compatible with BBC streams. Anyone got any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 02:59:41 | 04 March, 2018 by anotherbob »
ANOTHERBOB  
RECIVA RADIOS...... Bush TR2015. 2x Ministry of Sound MOSAC150..
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  REVO PIXIS RX. Squeezebox Touch. PURE One Flow. Zettaly Avy ZA-407

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
Re: Question re. Yamaha-mcr-n870d and BBC in France
« Reply #1 on: 03:42:44 | 04 March, 2018 »
I can only speak for the US, but most BBC live radio and podcasts are available and playable here.

There are exceptions; music programmes, some live sport like F1, Olympics, football, cricket, golf, etc., which are geo-blocked because of "rights" issues. Then it's also possible that the BBC is changing the format of its streams.

This particular Yamaha doesn't seem to be available in the US market.

Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa
dumnonia.us

anotherbob

« Reply #2 on: 05:00:51 | 04 March, 2018 »
Thanks for your response...

I see from the product page that the Yamaha gets its Internet radio through vTuner. It ought to get at least the MP3 streams unless geo-blocked for rights issues. The user concerned is most concerned with R3 and I seem to remember reading that the BBC put that out on a high quality stream.
ANOTHERBOB  
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  REVO PIXIS RX. Squeezebox Touch. PURE One Flow. Zettaly Avy ZA-407

Dogmatix

« Reply #3 on: 06:25:01 | 04 March, 2018 »
The Radio 3 high quality stream is geoblocked; the others are not. The MP3 streams are still up and running (though who knows for how long); the Yamaha should be able to get those. When they disappear, any radio unable to deal with the BBC's DASH or HLS streams will lose BBC.  The answer then will be an internet radio tuner, either in hifi tuner casing like the Hama DIT2010MBT (https://de.hama.com/00054833/hama-digital-hifi-tuner-dit2010mbt-internetradio-dab+-fm-app-steuerung?bySearch=internetradio) or in a smaller housing like the Hama DIT1000MBT (https://de.hama.com/00054841/hama-hybridtuner-dit1000mbt-internetradio-dab+-fm-app-multiroom-bluetooth?bySearch=internetradio).

You say the Yamaha uses vTuner - does it offer its users a web portal to seek out and store stations? Possibly, if the receiver cannot find MP3 streams, they can be added in the portal if the URLs are known.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #4 on: 06:50:13 | 04 March, 2018 »
I have a Yamaha R-N 500 receiver.  I can get all the BBC streams (the mp3 steams, presumably) by way of its "net radio" vTuner function here in the USA.  Yes, there is a portal and one can save ("bookmark") stations on the receiver and by way of the Yamaha remote phone app.  That said, I think that you're pretty much stuck with what vTuner has to offer;  I see no way of adding stations, streams or podcasts as one can to the Reciva or Grace Digital portals.

AFAIK, only the lower bitrate BBC streams are available outside of the UK regardless of format.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

anotherbob

« Reply #5 on: 03:59:15 | 07 March, 2018 »
Thanks for all your responses. I have passed on a simplified summary of them to the owner of the Yamaha.
ANOTHERBOB  

anything