Author Topic: Suggested Stations showing up on one radio and not the other  (Read 339 times)

netsurfer38

Recently I used the Frontier Silicon Suggest a station link to suggest the inclusion of the following stations:
LM Radio (Mozambique)
East Coast Radio (South Africa)
OFM (South Africa)

My LeMega3+ radio (Firmware version  ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0496_V2.11.13c.EX68399-1A11) however does not show up the new stations, this despite trying a factory reset and a software update (no new available).

However my Hama DIT2000M radio (Firmware version  ir-mmi-FS2026--0500-0407_V2.11.16c.EX69641-1A33) does show up the new stations.

The above situation also applies to each set when logged into the Frontier Silicon website or when using the UNDOK app. Yet I am able to store them as favourites for the Hama unit and successfully share them with the LeMega unit - all station screen images and data being displayed correctly.

I presume that the above situation has something to do with the Firmware version on the LeMega unit being older. I have contacted LeMega to see if they will be implementing a firmware upgrade, unfortunately, judging from previous experience, I am not expecting any response from them. Also it seems strange that Frontier Silicon appear to not be able to include the new stations in older firmware versions (presuming that the firmware version is the issue).

It is a pity that it is not standard, where possible, to roll out firmware updates for all sets old and new. If anyone has anything of interest to add to this, I'll certainly be most grateful.

Dogmatix

Re: Suggested Stations showing up on one radio and not the other
« Reply #1 on: 12:26:28 | 05 March, 2018 »
Hello,

I'm not quite sure what problem you have.

You have requested that these three stations be added to the stations database, and this seems to have been done - I just searched for them on my Hama radio: I found East Coast Radio and OFM, but the closest I could get to LM radio was LM7 Radio. It should therefore be possible - thanks to your request - to search for, and find, these stations on any fairly recent Frontier radio using the 'search stations' menu on the radio, and then store them as presets, if desired.

The difference between the firmware versions of you radios is minimal. They both have V2.11; they should both be able the decode the same streams.

What exactly do you mean by "does not show up the new stations"? Did you register both your radios to the same account at wifiradio-frontier.com? If so, then when you add a station to the 'favourites' at wifiradio-frontier, it should appear under 'My favourites' on both radios. If the radios are registered to separate accounts, then you must add the station to 'favourites' on both accounts

As for firmware releases: different models have different features, and may have different hardware requiring different drivers, so there can be no "one size fits all" firmware. Not only that, but different brands have different business models when it come to after-sales service - some, like Hama, are more keen to provide updates and upgrades and answer user's questions, whereas, sad to say, there also exist some brands who believe in 'sell-and-forget'.

Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

netsurfer38

« Reply #2 on: 13:25:09 | 05 March, 2018 »
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, both radios are registered to the same Silicon Frontier account. Yet the LEMEGA 3+ radio does not show the aforementioned stations in its database, whereas the Hama radios database does. However the LEMEGA radio will show them when the favourites are shared from the Hama DIT2000M radio's database (but only under LEMEGA's favourites).

If LM Radio is listed within your database, you should be able to find it as follows: - Browse Stations > By location > Africa > Mozambique > L.M.Radio 87.8 FM

I see that they have it with punctuation marks rather than the way it normally listed.

It just seems a pity that the stations are not added regardless of the firmware or brand, as the Silicon Frontier website appears to suggest  (it must leave some users feeling that they are being ignored even if it is not strictly speaking the case)

Dogmatix

« Reply #3 on: 14:25:11 | 05 March, 2018 »
I see that they have it with punctuation marks rather than the way it normally listed
OK, that explains why I could not find it using the alphabetic search. I've got it now.

If I understand you correctly, when you follow these steps:

Station list > Stations > Location > Africa > Mozambique > All Stations

on your Hama, you see L.M.Radio 87.8 FM in the list (at the top), but when you do the same on your Lemega, you do not see it in the list?

Have you saved the stations to your 'favourites' on the Frontier website? If so, you should see the stations on both of your radios under "My Favourites' (Just to be sure that we are talking about the same thing, 'favourites' are stored using the wifiradio-frontier website and can then be seen under 'My Favourites' on all radios on the same account; 'presets' are stored locally on the radio and are only available on that radio.)

Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

netsurfer38

« Reply #4 on: 14:59:33 | 05 March, 2018 »
Yes you understand me correctly on all counts.

When I follow the steps Station list > Stations > Location > etc the 3 stations mentioned show up within the Hama list but not the LEMEGA list.

Yes the 'favourites' are saved on the Frontier website (from the Hama list), and being synchronised the 3 stations then show up under the 'favourites' on the LEMEGA unit. (Just to confirm, I am not talking about the local presets on either unit)

Am curious as to why the above is, and also rather disappointed that there is this discrepancy between the units. At least I have found a way around it, but no doubt many other folk will not have this option, which is a pity. Prior to this I assumed that the Frontier Silicon website displayed all radio stations in their database regardless of the firmware version or brand of radio unit.

Dogmatix

« Reply #5 on: 04:59:01 | 06 March, 2018 »
Well, this is puzzling.

I have followed the steps Station list > Stations > Location > Africa > Mozambique > All Stations on Hama, Roberts, Revo, Technisat and Sangean radios (the Sangean has older firmware because Sangean doesn't want to pay Frontier for updates). All of them show the same four stations for Mozambique, with L.M.Radio at the top of the list. All my radios are registered to the same account.

I don't know if the complete station database is downloaded to each and every radio at some time, or if it is only held on the Frontier servers and accessed by a radio on demand. Either way, I do not see why your Lemega radio should not have or be able to see the up-to-date database.

However, as long as a station can be found on the website and added to 'favourites', it can be played on any registered radio (stream format permitting).

netsurfer38

« Reply #6 on: 09:50:46 | 06 March, 2018 »
Thanks, I very much appreciate your input! It is weird, there has been a new station added since, but the stations listed are slightly different (this also applies to the South African stations), but it is easier to demonstrate this with the Mozambique stations with there being only 4 listed:

Hama unit lists the following 4 stations:
L.M. Radio 87.8 FM
Radio Maria Mozambique
Radio Mocambique 97.9 FM
Super FM

Lemega unit lists the following 4 stations:
Mega Kizomba
Radio Maria Mozambique
Radio Mocambique 97.9 FM
Super FM

Up until yesterday there were only 3 stations listed on the Lemega unit. The Mega Kizomba station is I think the newly added one.

Only thing left to do is to perhaps try and create a new account for both units in Frontier Silicon and see what happens. If I do I'll let you know of the outcome.

Have tried to contact both Lemega and Frontier Silicon about this; only vTuner (Frontier Silicon) has responded.

UPDATE
Created a new Frontier Silicon account and then linked both stations to it. Initially the Lemega unit only showed up with 3 stations for Mozambique as before. Then 4 stations appeared, possibly after I used the UNDOK App. However the status of the discrepancies between the two units has reverted to exactly as described above. (please note that I did try and purge the UNDOK App of all its data before doing this)
« Last Edit: 10:39:47 | 06 March, 2018 by netsurfer38 »

Dogmatix

« Reply #7 on: 10:30:38 | 06 March, 2018 »
I have not had much luck contacting Frontier myself. I have a phantom radio listed on my account, one which I do not own, have never owned, and have no idea how it got there, so I asked them if they could remove it, but although I had a reply from someone at vtuner, the issue at hand was not resolved.

There does not seem to be any means to delete a radio. I don't know if simply registering a radio to another account is sufficient to effect a transfer; I have not played around too much with that for fear of messing things up completely. I do know that an account cannot exist without a radio registered to it; if an only radio in an account is somehow transferred to another account, the first account disappears in a puff of logic. So be prepared for Strange Things to happen.

netsurfer38

« Reply #8 on: 14:34:23 | 06 March, 2018 »
Yes, I can confirm that the original account disappears after one creates a new one and links ones radios to it, as I found out when I tried logging back into it.
Also nothing is transferred to the new account, such as one's saved favourites, from what I can tell.