Author Topic: Could I use a Hama remote control with a Roberts Stream 93i?  (Read 344 times)

Jay_Kay

Hi. I'd like to know whether Frontier Silicon devices use the same infrared remote control codes?

I have a Roberts Stream 93i and the infrared remote control is fairly limited. The remote control used by Hama with, for example, the DIR3100 looks a lot better, as it has direct access to more presets and dedicated source buttons to instantly switch between DAB, Internet, FM, Aux.

As Roberts and Hama both use Frontier Silicon (I think the Venice module) I was wondering whether a remote control from one would control the other? Has anyone tried?

Thanks.

Dogmatix

Re: Could I use a Hama remote control with a Roberts Stream 93i?
« Reply #1 on: 11:31:51 | 31 July, 2018 »
If I may take your questions out of order:

Has anyone tried?
Yes. Me.

I was wondering whether a remote control from one would control the other?
No.

As Roberts and Hama both use Frontier Silicon (I think the Venice module)
You think right. The Venice 6.5 module, to be precise.

I have a Roberts Stream 93i and the infrared remote control is fairly limited.
You got that right, too. I told them so last year at the Berlin Funkausstellung. Unfortunately, they've gone right ahead and used the same limited and not very haptic remote control for the updated version, the 94i. I'll tell them again at this year's show, but I don't suppose it will do much good. I might even take my Hama remote to shown them how it should be done.

The remote control used by Hama with, for example, the DIR3100 looks a lot better, as it has direct access to more presets and dedicated source buttons to instantly switch between DAB, Internet, FM, Aux.
Indeed. Which is a good argument for buying a Hama instead of a Roberts. On the other hand, the Hama radios do rather lack a certain stylistic appeal; in my opinion, anyway. Swings and roundabouts.

Hi. I'd like to know whether Frontier Silicon devices use the same infrared remote control codes?
No, they don't, which is why they are incompatible with each other. Now, in the old world of "legacy" Reciva radios, it was possible to edit the config files in one radio to make it respond to the better remote of another, and to decide which commands should be remotely controllable (and on the radio panel controls, too). But as far as I know, this is not possible with Frontier radios. On the one hand, they don't want people poking about in their software wreaking who knows what havoc (which is understandable), and on the other hand, brands don't want users "improving" radios instead of buying more expensive models.

Thanks
You're welcome!

PS You know about UNDOK, I suppose?
« Last Edit: 11:35:43 | 31 July, 2018 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.
The following users thanked this post: Jay_Kay

Jay_Kay

« Reply #2 on: 13:01:09 | 31 July, 2018 »
Great reply. Thanks!

That comprehensively answers my question. A shame it isn't possible.

Yes, Roberts missed a trick by using the same substandard remote for the 83i, 93i and yet again for the 94i. In particular, it's annoying that you can't access modes directly and instead have to press, press, press the mode button (both on the radio and the remote). This Hama has everything you could want on a remote https://www.hama.com/bilder/00054/dex/00054855dex3.jpg. The DIR3100 is a bit bulky and boxy, though.

I have a One For All universal remote that I've set up macros on to accesses modes directly via the 93i menu, but it's a bit slow.

UNDOK is also a bit slow compared to a single button press that a good remote would offer, as it requires opening your phone and doing a few clicks and swipes. Though with screen pinning and setting wifi to never sleep, you could use an old/cheap phone as a dedicated remote to avoid a few of the clicks. Battery life won't equal an infrared, though.

A 93i with the Hama remote would have been a great combination.

Dogmatix

« Reply #3 on: 00:41:44 | 01 August, 2018 »
This Hama has everything you could want on a remote
Well, to be picky, one could 'want' direct-access buttons for Spotify and Bluetooth as well. This could be done with a software update as there are four unused buttons on the remote which could be pressed (ha, ha) into service.

Hama do offer smaller (and larger) internet radios: https://de.hama.com/action/searchCtrl/search?searchMode=1&q=internetradio. My particular gripe is speakers on the side, which I think is almost a daft as headphone sockets on the back, but, to be fair, almost all internet radio brands are guilty of the latter.

I use my DIR3100 at my computer. I have butchered the radio to include speaker outputs, which I have connected to a pair of small Cantons either side of my monitor, and the PC sound output is connected to the radio's Aux input. I also want to find a pair of better control knobs. I also have two DIT2010's, an IR110 and a DIR3500 which I have cut that stand thing off as it needs to sit on a shelf.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.