Author Topic: Casting from Encore Plus to my Google Home Empire  (Read 251 times)

ShortWave Dave

• Dave's Homemade Radios
Casting from Encore Plus to my Google Home Empire
« on: 17:48:31 | 18 August, 2018 »
Hello everyone.
The Encore and Mondo Plus has a nice feature that one can cast audio to another similar Grace Digital device. I'm interested in casting to my Google Home group or a Chromecast device connected to an amplified speaker.

I know there are delays that occur during these types of operations. For example, when I cast from my PC, the PC mutes. I would be ok with my Encore Plus speakers being muted during casts if this delay couldn't be dealt with.

Any chances of this feature being added in a future update?
Dave-N2DS, Google Home, Alexa, Mondo, Encore Plus.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Re: Casting from Encore Plus to my Google Home Empire
« Reply #1 on: 07:21:44 | 20 August, 2018 »
I think this might require Google to reconfigure their gadgets, which doesn't sound very likely.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

ShortWave Dave

• Dave's Homemade Radios
« Reply #2 on: 08:39:18 | 20 August, 2018 »
Thanks for the info. It was worth a try anyway. I bought my first Mondo about 6 years ago. In my opinion the Mondo was the best radio until the Mondo Plus came along. I bought both sets via the Kickstarter offer. The Chromecast audio feature was the dealmaker for me and I haven't been disappointed.

When they added the multiroom cast support for their devices, I felt they were on the cusp of further integration to other cast devices. I put both my Encore Plus and Mondo Plus in a group. I can cast from my PC from a website such as radio.garden to both units.

I imagine that Grace Digital visits here now and again, so I thought it was a good place to pitch the idea.

A future product might include Google Voice features, either with far field microphones or a push-to-talk on the remote. For me, the uses blend together.

Thanks to the forum for allowing me to pitch the idea out loud.

Dave

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #3 on: 12:43:11 | 20 August, 2018 »
I understand that they had fleeting thoughts about adding microphones to the plus radios but couldn't figure out how to get it to work without making the radios look stupid.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

ShortWave Dave

• Dave's Homemade Radios
« Reply #4 on: 17:16:10 | 20 August, 2018 »
It would be nice to have full GH incorporation in the Encore Plus, but for now I've set my office GH to play media through my Encore Plus by default. Better sound for sure. So if they could make the Encore PLus stream to all cast devices on my network, that would be a good improvement. The Grace database is really robust. Some stations such as BR Heimat from Munich can no longer be called by my Gh, but are in the Grace database.

Anyway, thanks for letting me run this by the forum.
Dave