Author Topic: Alternatives to BBC for British news radio?  (Read 578 times)

Dogmatix

Alternatives to BBC for British news radio?
« on: 11:48:50 | 12 October, 2018 »
I have read recently of peoples' gripes about the BBC, being biased one way or the other, and wonder what alternatives there are in the UK for reasonably politically independent national and international news reporting on the radio. Not just an hourly 5-minute bulletin, but with interviews, background and so on, and preferably, of course, not riddled with commercial messages or pop music. Is there such a thing? Or is the BBC (i.e. Radio 4) the best there is in the UK?
« Last Edit: 02:29:34 | 13 October, 2018 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

drgeoff

Re: Alternatives to BBC for British news radio?
« Reply #1 on: 11:59:47 | 12 October, 2018 »
The BBC is the only licence fee funded radio broadcaster in the UK.  All others need advertising to finance them.  Proper news gathering is an expensive business which only large players can afford.  BBC, ITV and Sky.  Not sure than any of those meet all your requirements. :-(

Have you considered a satellite receiver picking up BBC News 24 - the 24 hour news TV channel - and streaming the audio of that to your internet radio(s)?
« Last Edit: 12:04:07 | 12 October, 2018 by drgeoff »

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 19:36:26 | 12 October, 2018 »
What's wrong with BBC World Service ?  Much better than the tv News 24 !
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

The Resident Alien - http://residentalien.yolasite.com

Dogmatix

« Reply #3 on: 02:28:41 | 13 October, 2018 »
Thanks for your replies.

Have you considered a satellite receiver picking up BBC News 24 - the 24 hour news TV channel - and streaming the audio of that to your internet radio(s)?
Well for one thing, the point was to try to find alternatives to the BBC on the radio. Also, out here in Berlin, Astra 2D requires at least a 2.5m dish, and even that's not reliable. Of course, using Ways and Means I can get BBC TV at home over the internet, and by satellite Sky News International. This doesn't help much at work, where I only have an internet radio (operating via a 4G modem).

What's wrong with BBC World Service ?  Much better than the tv News 24 !
The World Service is actually on FM here in Berlin (not DAB, though). Again, though, that's BBC, and anyway, BBC World Service is a bit short on domestic news and issues.

Sky News provides Sky News Radio for other stations. It is not listed at Frontier, but the native stream URL (which works as an Added Station) is: http://video.news.sky.com/snr/news/snrnews.mp3
« Last Edit: 03:22:18 | 13 October, 2018 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i, Sangean WFR-29C, Technisat 450 & 520, Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3100.

• I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!
« Reply #4 on: 05:03:43 | 13 October, 2018 »
I, too, find the BBC to have an inbuilt bias but it seems that all UK news alternatives have a bias, one way or another. In the absence of a truly neutral news provider, it may be that we have to take news from various sources and try to read 'through the lines' to get to the truth. It's understandable, though, as this just reflects the whole of society, in consisting of polar extremes, whether it be religion, politics,  finance, education, social care, human rights, etc., etc..  It is rare to find any group standing for the middle road, even though this is what more of the public are seeking (in my opinion!).
I thought that I was wrong once, but I may have been mistaken :-)