Author Topic: Roberts SB1  (Read 707 times)

Dogmatix

Roberts SB1
« on: 02:56:04 | 05 January, 2019 »
The Roberts Sound Bar SB1 is currently on sale from Roberts in their January Sale for £149.99, and on Amazon UK for £99 (only a dozen left at time of writing). It is an excellent radio for use as a sound bar under or over a telly (it comes with wall-mounting brackets), and also as computer speakers under the monitor, or just as an internet/DAB radio with a nice wide stereo base. It has a multitude of inputs - two optical, one digital and one analogue AUX, and Bluetooth (for input) and Spotify connect. It also comes with a decent remote control. The downsides are that it only has ten presets per band (disappointing from Roberts - their smaller radios have 40), and no headphone jack.

I now have two of these units (and gave my son another one for Christmas), and can recommend it.

« Last Edit: 08:39:18 | 07 January, 2019 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

tadworth506

Re: Roberts SB1
« Reply #1 on: 13:58:06 | 05 March, 2019 »
I also managed to get one for £99 and the audio quality is really outstanding. I use mine for internet radio and DAB ( I have an AV amplifier on the TV)
I have however an annoying problem with mine. Everything works brilliantly except BBC podcasts ( listen again). It really struggles to connect and very often ends up restarting itself. I know my internet is good. I have even tried connecting directly using an ethernet cable with only marginal improvement. I have tried my Roberts stream 93i and that connects virtually instantly. I have sent the sound bar back and received a replacement which is precisely the same. Another strange thing is that the stereo icon is not present on any internet station (even though the programme is definitely in stereo) but it is present ok on DAB and FM stations.
I don't believe that I could have had 2 units with the same fault and only assume that there is some sort of design fault and am hopeful that Roberts will do a software upgrade to resolve these issues
IR100's....OXX Digital...IRMA1...BT internet radio....Freecom Musicpal(v.tuner)...tranciva (frontier silicon)... Acoustic Solutions Net008..Roberts stream 83i... No reason at all why I need so many...and now a Pure One Flow so I again can listen to BBC Listen Again.Also have Zettaly Avy

Dogmatix

« Reply #2 on: 15:12:07 | 05 March, 2019 »
I hadn't noticed the missing stereo icon, but now that I look, it's missing on my SB1s too. I tried a couple of BBC podcasts (R4 Six O'Clock News and World at One) - no connection problems. Can you give an example of a problematic podcast?
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

tadworth506

« Reply #3 on: 15:34:27 | 05 March, 2019 »
I've tried various BBC local stations which all have the same result. I was trying to listen to Tim Rogers on BBC Lincolnshire and it really was a mission to get it to connect. It did eventually. Non BBC podcasts connect ok. I have noticed that BBC podcasts have got a high bitrate compared to other stations (320 kbs) and wonder if that is part of the problem. I assume that the circuitry of the sb1 is similar to the Roberts stream 93i and both of the stream93i that I have connect without any problem
IR100's....OXX Digital...IRMA1...BT internet radio....Freecom Musicpal(v.tuner)...tranciva (frontier silicon)... Acoustic Solutions Net008..Roberts stream 83i... No reason at all why I need so many...and now a Pure One Flow so I again can listen to BBC Listen Again.Also have Zettaly Avy

Dogmatix

« Reply #4 on: 00:59:19 | 06 March, 2019 »
I'll have another go with BBC podcasts on one of my SB1s when I get home. Although I may not be able to get 320kbps on BBC streams anyway, being outwith the UK.

Do you have problems with any other 320kbps stations (e.g. Linn Radio, Linn Jazz, Linn Classical?

EDIT: Listening to Tim Rogers on an SB1: connected immediately, but bitrate is only 96kbps. Clearly I am geographically challenged as far as the BBC is concerned.
« Last Edit: 05:29:43 | 06 March, 2019 by Dogmatix »

tadworth506

« Reply #5 on: 06:02:30 | 06 March, 2019 »
I tried all 3 Linn stations and all connect virtually instantly at 320kbps MP3. Therefore I am certain that the problem I encounter is only on BBC podcasts. When they do connect they are streaming at 320kbps AAC.
I have done further tests by changing the WLan region from Europe to Australia which made no difference (I wonder what this actually does)
I do recall that BBC podcasts use a unique stream (I think it is called HLS or Dash) and when they moved over to this a lot of internet radios were no longer able to get BBC podcasts.
I have just tried using my mobile phone (which has a reasonable 4G signal) as a hotspot and tethered the sb1 to this and bingo a result, it connected to BBC podcasts without any problems.
Therefore the problem lies with my broadband. It doesn't however explain why the stream 93i radios connect without any issues . I can also connect to BBC iPlayer on my tablet without any issues.
I use Virgin fibre broadband and am wondering if there is some security/ firewall  setting in the Virgin hub that the sb1 doesn't like although I am lost to the next course of action.
It has been very useful having another sb1 user where comparison checks can be done and I thank you for your feedback.
It has also verified that the "missing" stereo icon is not part of the problem but can only be put down as a design error on Roberts part

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 06:54:17 | 06 March, 2019 »
@tadworth506
When you log in to the VirginMedia Super Hub's settings page by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your Internet browser you can check the firewall settings of the hub. I am unable to check what the default settings look like since I am using the hub in modem mode. Presumably your hub is in router mode so there may be a setting that is causing the problem that you have described.
The following users thanked this post: tadworth506

tadworth506

« Reply #7 on: 10:11:09 | 06 March, 2019 »
I managed to get into the settings of  my Virginmedia Superhub using 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and went in and unenabled Firewall.
Unfortunately this did not improve the connection problem with BBC podcasts. I then rebooted the hub and then managed to connect to the BBC podcasts. I thought at this stage that the problem had been resolved but unfortunately this was not to be . The next time I tried to connect it failed and just brought up a error message on the screen   :(

anything