Author Topic: Geoblocking furstrations  (Read 774 times)

brenski

Geoblocking furstrations
« on: 04:47:37 | 19 January, 2019 »
Hi
first post, glad I found this forum - seems very informative.
I have  three different internet radios, Hama DIR3115MS, Ocean Digital WR-282CD and Magicbox Clarus.

Favourites are stored on Frontier Silicon online.

The problem I'm having is with trying to receive a couple of geoblocked USA radio stations here in the UK.
The two offenders are
98.5 Sports Hub Boston - disappeared about a year ago from IR - no voice over, nothing.

93.7 WEEI Sports Boston. This used to broadcast from several points around New England. One by one these were blocked with a "you're listening from outside the US or Canada"...announcement replacing the broadcast. Then a few months ago I found more WEEIs - in Keene, Meredith Portland, Springfield, Worcester, Dennis & Sth Dennis. However, again these have all "disappeared".

is there any way to still pick these up? can the above radio sets be somehow connected through a proxy server or similar? or is it possible to setup a guest wifi on our Virgin Hub3 that will allow for radio connection through a proxy?

Any help appreciated - even if it's to confirm this is a fruitless mission.

thanks

Natural Sound

Re: Geoblocking furstrations
« Reply #1 on: 07:38:30 | 19 January, 2019 »
You might try something like this
https://learn.adafruit.com/onion-pi/overview

Also, you might want to check the tunein streams on a computer to see if it's really a geoblock or something else.
https://tunein.com/985thesportshub/

WEEI tunein streams don't seem to be working. I also checked streama and get a message that WEEI asked them to remove the station. I do get it on a Reciva based radio in MP3 and AAC+ though so the stream is available. At least here in the USA.
« Last Edit: 07:47:26 | 19 January, 2019 by Natural Sound »

brenski

« Reply #2 on: 12:19:43 | 19 January, 2019 »
thanks.

the Hama DIR3115MS is a Reciva based set - and whether i try through my (frontier silicon) favourites or directly through the Reciva setup - I still get the "you've tuned in from outside the US or Canada" message instead of the broadcast.

Paul Webster

« Reply #3 on: 01:06:36 | 20 January, 2019 »
Would using that particular solution from Adafruit work?
It is using Tor ... and can you configure Tor to require an exit point to be in a particular country?
If yes - then assuming the traffic can be relayed fast enough then there is a chance it would work.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

brenski

« Reply #4 on: 01:16:33 | 20 January, 2019 »
it (Tor/onion) certainly looks like an option.
I don't know enough about how to set it up.
If there's a pre-configured complete/assembled option at a reasonable price) I'd give it a go.

Dogmatix

« Reply #5 on: 01:58:28 | 20 January, 2019 »
the Hama DIR3115MS is a Reciva based set

Actually, the Hama is not Reciva-based, it is Frontier Silicon based. The Magicbox Clarus Plus is also Frontier, but rather old, and probably not AAC-stream capable. The Ocean Digital WR-282CD is neither Reciva nor Frontier, but MendiaU-based.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 02:12:45 | 20 January, 2019 »
I am in the UK (on a VirginMedia broadband connection) and when I go to http://weeifm.radio.net (93.7 WEEI Sports Boston) I am unable to listen due to geoblocking. However when I change my IP address to a US one there is no problem tuning in.

The station website https://weei.radio.com cannot be reached from the UK either (error 1020, access denied, "this website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks") but again with a US IP address the problem disappears and listening to the live stream is possible.

brenski

« Reply #7 on: 02:16:52 | 20 January, 2019 »
the Hama DIR3115MS is a Reciva based set

Actually, the Hama is not Reciva-based, it is Frontier Silicon based. The Magicbox Clarus Plus is also Frontier, but rather old, and probably not AAC-stream capable. The Ocean Digital WR-282CD is neither Reciva nor Frontier, but MendiaU-based.

Hi thanks for the reply.

in my Reply #2 i was quoting a translated German website i found with regard to Hama and reciva.
However i did already say in my top post that my favourites are all stored through Frontier Silicon - so I was aware that the Hama and Magicbox use this.

brenski

« Reply #8 on: 02:19:26 | 20 January, 2019 »
I am in the UK (on a VirginMedia broadband connection) and when I go to http://weeifm.radio.net (93.7 WEEI Sports Boston) I am unable to listen due to geoblocking. However when I change my IP addresss to a US one there is no problem tuning in.

thanks. yes, I am aware this is possible through a browser.
But my top post refers specifically to listening on actual IR sets - Hama DIR3115MS, Magixbox Clarabus and Ocean Digital.
so unless there's a way to assign a proxy/HMA type address physically to the radio set(s) then I doubt it's possible to listen to this station on the Radio Set itself.

but thanks for reading.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 02:24:40 | 20 January, 2019 »
I am in the UK (on a VirginMedia broadband connection) and when I go to http://weeifm.radio.net (93.7 WEEI Sports Boston) I am unable to listen due to geoblocking. However when I change my IP addresss to a US one there is no problem tuning in.

thanks. yes, I am aware this is possible through a browser. But my top post refers specifically to listening on actual IR sets - Hama DIR3115MS, Magixbox Clarabus and Ocean Digital.

but thanks for reading.

The solution clearly is to get your radios to access the internet with a US IP address, but I don't know how to do this via a VirginMedia hub. Perhaps a Google search will help?

brenski

« Reply #10 on: 03:00:32 | 20 January, 2019 »

yep^ been looking for a while now since the last two WEEI IR broadcasts were geoblocked in early autumn.

was hoping there was a way through the VM Hub3 using Guestnetwork - but i can't find how.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 03:20:28 | 20 January, 2019 »
A possible solution could be like this: install a VPN app on your smartphone or computer (I am using privateinternetaccess myself but there are many others), and get a US IP address. Then start the wifi hotspot function and connect your internet radio to the hotspot and viola, you should be able to tune into geoblocked stations in the US. I have not actually tried this myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
The following users thanked this post: Baldman

Natural Sound

« Reply #12 on: 13:05:06 | 24 January, 2019 »
Would using that particular solution from Adafruit work?
It is using Tor ... and can you configure Tor to require an exit point to be in a particular country?
If yes - then assuming the traffic can be relayed fast enough then there is a chance it would work.

I used for a streaming TV application and it worked great. Radio should be the same with less bandwidth. Setting up the exit point wasn't difficult as I recall. But you have to work in a Linux terminal to do so (no GUI). The instructions on the adafruit site is a bit dated now but with a little Linux knowledge you should be able to figure it out.

brenski

« Reply #13 on: 04:58:17 | 01 April, 2019 »
just got hold of a vpn

am now wondering how to set this up to access the geo-blocked USA radio sites from the UK.

with Virgin Media, would it be possible to setup to setup a Guest Network and attach an IP address to this specifically?
then, when the Radio Sets (Hama DIR3115MS, Ocean Digital WR-282CD and Magicbox Clarus) connect through Guest Network they'd automatically receive a USA IP?
- or am I talking rubbish?

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 06:38:30 | 01 April, 2019 »
My understanding is that if you set up a guest network, the same external VM-supplied IP address will be used. And it is this IP that the streaming server at the other end will use to determine whether connections coming from that IP address will be geo-blocked. The remote server will still recognise your network's IP as being UK-based.

What you could try (as I have mentioned earlier) is setting up a VPN on a computer or smartphone and get a US IP address. If you then create a WiFi hotspot and connect your radio to the hotspot, the radio should use a US IP address and so geoblocking could be circumvented.  I have not tried this myself but it's worth a try.

anything