Author Topic: Geoblocking furstrations  (Read 224 times)

brenski

Geoblocking furstrations
« on: 04:47:37 | 19 January, 2019 »
Hi
first post, glad I found this forum - seems very informative.
I have  three different internet radios, Hama DIR3115MS, Ocean Digital WR-282CD and Magicbox Clarus.

Favourites are stored on Frontier Silicon online.

The problem I'm having is with trying to receive a couple of geoblocked USA radio stations here in the UK.
The two offenders are
98.5 Sports Hub Boston - disappeared about a year ago from IR - no voice over, nothing.

93.7 WEEI Sports Boston. This used to broadcast from several points around New England. One by one these were blocked with a "you're listening from outside the US or Canada"...announcement replacing the broadcast. Then a few months ago I found more WEEIs - in Keene, Meredith Portland, Springfield, Worcester, Dennis & Sth Dennis. However, again these have all "disappeared".

is there any way to still pick these up? can the above radio sets be somehow connected through a proxy server or similar? or is it possible to setup a guest wifi on our Virgin Hub3 that will allow for radio connection through a proxy?

Any help appreciated - even if it's to confirm this is a fruitless mission.

thanks

Natural Sound

Re: Geoblocking furstrations
« Reply #1 on: 07:38:30 | 19 January, 2019 »
You might try something like this
https://learn.adafruit.com/onion-pi/overview

Also, you might want to check the tunein streams on a computer to see if it's really a geoblock or something else.
https://tunein.com/985thesportshub/

WEEI tunein streams don't seem to be working. I also checked streama and get a message that WEEI asked them to remove the station. I do get it on a Reciva based radio in MP3 and AAC+ though so the stream is available. At least here in the USA.
« Last Edit: 07:47:26 | 19 January, 2019 by Natural Sound »

brenski

« Reply #2 on: 12:19:43 | 19 January, 2019 »
thanks.

the Hama DIR3115MS is a Reciva based set - and whether i try through my (frontier silicon) favourites or directly through the Reciva setup - I still get the "you've tuned in from outside the US or Canada" message instead of the broadcast.

Paul Webster

« Reply #3 on: 01:06:36 | 20 January, 2019 »
Would using that particular solution from Adafruit work?
It is using Tor ... and can you configure Tor to require an exit point to be in a particular country?
If yes - then assuming the traffic can be relayed fast enough then there is a chance it would work.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

brenski

« Reply #4 on: 01:16:33 | 20 January, 2019 »
it (Tor/onion) certainly looks like an option.
I don't know enough about how to set it up.
If there's a pre-configured complete/assembled option at a reasonable price) I'd give it a go.

Dogmatix

« Reply #5 on: 01:58:28 | 20 January, 2019 »
the Hama DIR3115MS is a Reciva based set

Actually, the Hama is not Reciva-based, it is Frontier Silicon based. The Magicbox Clarus Plus is also Frontier, but rather old, and probably not AAC-stream capable. The Ocean Digital WR-282CD is neither Reciva nor Frontier, but MendiaU-based.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 02:12:45 | 20 January, 2019 »
I am in the UK (on a VirginMedia broadband connection) and when I go to http://weeifm.radio.net (93.7 WEEI Sports Boston) I am unable to listen due to geoblocking. However when I change my IP address to a US one there is no problem tuning in.

The station website https://weei.radio.com cannot be reached from the UK either (error 1020, access denied, "this website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks") but again with a US IP address the problem disappears and listening to the live stream is possible.

brenski

« Reply #7 on: 02:16:52 | 20 January, 2019 »
the Hama DIR3115MS is a Reciva based set

Actually, the Hama is not Reciva-based, it is Frontier Silicon based. The Magicbox Clarus Plus is also Frontier, but rather old, and probably not AAC-stream capable. The Ocean Digital WR-282CD is neither Reciva nor Frontier, but MendiaU-based.

Hi thanks for the reply.

in my Reply #2 i was quoting a translated German website i found with regard to Hama and reciva.
However i did already say in my top post that my favourites are all stored through Frontier Silicon - so I was aware that the Hama and Magicbox use this.

brenski

« Reply #8 on: 02:19:26 | 20 January, 2019 »
I am in the UK (on a VirginMedia broadband connection) and when I go to http://weeifm.radio.net (93.7 WEEI Sports Boston) I am unable to listen due to geoblocking. However when I change my IP addresss to a US one there is no problem tuning in.

thanks. yes, I am aware this is possible through a browser.
But my top post refers specifically to listening on actual IR sets - Hama DIR3115MS, Magixbox Clarabus and Ocean Digital.
so unless there's a way to assign a proxy/HMA type address physically to the radio set(s) then I doubt it's possible to listen to this station on the Radio Set itself.

but thanks for reading.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 02:24:40 | 20 January, 2019 »
I am in the UK (on a VirginMedia broadband connection) and when I go to http://weeifm.radio.net (93.7 WEEI Sports Boston) I am unable to listen due to geoblocking. However when I change my IP addresss to a US one there is no problem tuning in.

thanks. yes, I am aware this is possible through a browser. But my top post refers specifically to listening on actual IR sets - Hama DIR3115MS, Magixbox Clarabus and Ocean Digital.

but thanks for reading.

The solution clearly is to get your radios to access the internet with a US IP address, but I don't know how to do this via a VirginMedia hub. Perhaps a Google search will help?

brenski

« Reply #10 on: 03:00:32 | 20 January, 2019 »

yep^ been looking for a while now since the last two WEEI IR broadcasts were geoblocked in early autumn.

was hoping there was a way through the VM Hub3 using Guestnetwork - but i can't find how.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 03:20:28 | 20 January, 2019 »
A possible solution could be like this: install a VPN app on your smartphone or computer (I am using privateinternetaccess myself but there are many others), and get a US IP address. Then start the wifi hotspot function and connect your internet radio to the hotspot and viola, you should be able to tune into geoblocked stations in the US. I have not actually tried this myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
The following users thanked this post: Baldman

Natural Sound

« Reply #12 on: 13:05:06 | 24 January, 2019 »
Would using that particular solution from Adafruit work?
It is using Tor ... and can you configure Tor to require an exit point to be in a particular country?
If yes - then assuming the traffic can be relayed fast enough then there is a chance it would work.

I used for a streaming TV application and it worked great. Radio should be the same with less bandwidth. Setting up the exit point wasn't difficult as I recall. But you have to work in a Linux terminal to do so (no GUI). The instructions on the adafruit site is a bit dated now but with a little Linux knowledge you should be able to figure it out.