Author Topic: Problem connecting to Reciva at a new address  (Read 288 times)

Noel

Problem connecting to Reciva at a new address
« on: 06:23:18 | 12 April, 2019 »
Hello. I came here because there's an old thread about problems setting up at a new address (http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1684.0) that I thought might be the start of something helpful.

Having used my current three Reciva internet radios without problems at my previous address in the UK, and with a number of different ISPs and routers at that address, I now find, having just moved to a different part of the country and changed to Vodafone Connect, that NONE of the radios will connect to the internet. They all say ‘Network OK’ or some such, and show strong signals, but then can’t get to Reciva (whichever way they choose to phrase that problem). This is the same whether I connect by wire OR wirelessly.

My PC connects wirelessly without problem, as does (even) my old Blackberry Playbook.

The router Vodafone have supplied is a (Huawei) HHG2500 (only ‘HHG2500’ is printed on the box). WikiDevi states the following about this router, which I think relates to the bands: ‘WI1 802dot11 protocols: bgn’, so if I’ve understood correctly, there should NOT be an issue such that the router does not work with non-n-band devices (again, if I’ve understood correctly, Reciva radios won’t work with n-only routers). As I’ve said, the radios of mine that do have ethernet connectivity (two of the three) won’t connect through via that means either.

The three radios are:

Tangent Quattro Mk II ‘WiFi Table Radio’
Avox Indio Color ‘Internetradio + Musik-Streamer’
DNT IPdio Tune Titan (this really IS a table-top hi-fi component-type, unlike the Tangent)

I haven’t yet experimented with an alternative router, in case for any reason Vodafone doesn’t ‘allow’/enable that (not sure), but if so it would be my Netgear N600, which I used a few years ago before moving to Virgin and their own router, and seem to remember worked pretty well with the radios, given that my pre-Virgin broadband wasn’t that impressive.

I thought it might be good to get advice here before tackling Vodafone, in case they try to fob me off with something like ‘Sounds like a problem at Reciva’s end; can’t help’, as I suspect it’s very much an issue with Vodafone and/or their kit. I'm unclear about Reciva's status and how it is that the radios still work at all, but it seems this forum is the best place to start.

Many thanks in advance, to anyone who can help/advise.

« Last Edit: 05:53:17 | 13 April, 2019 by Noel »

drgeoff

Re: Problem connecting to Reciva a at a new address
« Reply #1 on: 15:21:21 | 12 April, 2019 »
Are your radios configured to use DHCP or have you given them static IP settings?

Noel

Re: Problem connecting to Reciva a at a new address
« Reply #2 on: 03:57:47 | 13 April, 2019 »
Thanks for geting back.
I'm not technical enough to understand your question fully, but having looked at a few articles online, and since the 'static' option looks quite tricky to me, I'm pretty sure I haven't (ever) done anything other than follow the most straight-out-of-the-box option when connecting my various radios to the network - so presumably DHCP.

Paul Webster

Re: Problem connecting to Reciva at a new address
« Reply #3 on: 07:49:18 | 13 April, 2019 »
To double check ... from the menu in the radio
Configure -> Network Config ->
and then take a look at what things are set to.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

oldeman

« Reply #4 on: 06:28:19 | 14 April, 2019 »
You may apply a network scan to see whether your radio is visible and part of your home network.
For the PC you may use: Advanced IP Scanner Portable
Alternatively: For your mobile you may use Fing.

Noel

« Reply #5 on: 04:12:34 | 17 April, 2019 »
My sincere thanks to everyone who's chipped in with suggestions.
To the question about checking the configuration on the radios, it was when I switched one on to do this, having given up trying to connect them for a few days, that it became obvious that the problem had fixed itself - the radio connected fully.
Apprehensive that it might be a fluke, I switched on all three and they all connected straightaway, so my earlier inputtings of the router code had obviously worked and been stored. It seemed best to wait a few days before assuming all's well, but it does seem to be. (By the way, the configuration menus of all three radios showed 'Auto/DHCP'.)
Scratching my head for any commonsense reason why the radios should now connect, the only thing that came to mind was that a day or two earlier, when an electrician was here, we tested the trip switches on the consumer unit. At the time, it didn't register that this would involve the router automatically (wait for it) being switched off and on again (I was trying to avoid doing that during the 'running-in' period, as per ISP's instructions). That's the only explanation I can come up with, and I can't now remember for certain whether I tried switching off and on when I first noticed that the radios weren't connecting, soon after moving in. If so, it didn't work then, whereas the accidental off and on a week or so later did.
Thanks again to all.