Author Topic: Logik IR100 Problem  (Read 55 times)

Southerner1959

Logik IR100 Problem
« on: 07:04:29 | 16 April, 2019 »
Have Reciva changed anything recently that would stop my radio working properly?

I turned it on for the first time in a couple of months, and although it connects to different stations OK, there is no audio output.

I can hear faint hiss if I put my ear to the speaker, so the audio amp and speaker are working.

I have never "Registered" the set with Reciva . . . but I bought it secondhand a few years ago, so I guess if that's necessary, the original owner did so.  (it has always worked fine up to now)

Hope someone can help.

drgeoff

Re: Logik IR100 Problem
« Reply #1 on: 09:53:20 | 16 April, 2019 »
Have Reciva changed anything recently that would stop my radio working properly?

I turned it on for the first time in a couple of months, and although it connects to different stations OK, there is no audio output.

I can hear faint hiss if I put my ear to the speaker, so the audio amp and speaker are working.

I have never "Registered" the set with Reciva . . . but I bought it secondhand a few years ago, so I guess if that's necessary, the original owner did so.  (it has always worked fine up to now)

Hope someone can help.
No, Reciva have not changed anything but the BBC have been making lots of changes.  However if you select a station and there is no error message on the screen but no sound from the speaker that would suggest that something is amiss with your radio's hardware.

Just to be sure. tune to the first station. Afghanistan, Afghanistan Voice Radio.  After it connects the display should show "32 kbps MP3" and sound come from the speaker.  Irrespective of whether the radio has ever been registered by anyone to the Reciva portal.

Southerner1959

« Reply #2 on: 03:06:59 | 17 April, 2019 »
Each of the stations I select appear correct on the screen . . .

i.e. it says "Buffering . . ."

Then the name of the station abd the bit rate, as if it's working OK . . . but there's no sound !

I'm an electronics engineer, but as I think the audio amp is working OK, the rest is pretty un-fixable. Shame, as I really like this unit, the sound from the built-in 'speaker is surprisingly good . . . and feeding it into my hifi system it sounds great.

I'm away from home at the moment . . . but I guess I might as well try a firmware update . . . just in case?  (never done that before)

If that doesn't fix it, I've seen a cheap Bush unit on eBay for £35 . . . might just buy that.  (does anyone have any experience of those? I wonder what portal they use )

drgeoff

« Reply #3 on: 07:17:38 | 17 April, 2019 »
I would advise against changing the firmware, at least for now.

The daughterboard which is about the size of a credit card only outputs digital audio.  There will be an audio DAC and an audio power amp elsewhere.  As an electronics engineer you should have no difficulty spotting the likely candidate ICs.  Google the part numbers for the data sheets.  That should enable you to narrow down some more as to where the audio is disappearing.

I would not write off the unit as unfixable.

Southerner1959

« Reply #4 on: 09:58:56 | 17 April, 2019 »
OK . . .

Given that this unit does seem to have number of separate boards, I guess that does make it potentially more fixable (especially in terms of tracing where the audio disappears.)

Although I kind of figured the problem was more likely to be in the digital circuits, rather than in the analogue audio section.

Thanks for the advice.

drgeoff

« Reply #5 on: 10:24:43 | 17 April, 2019 »
OK . . .

Given that this unit does seem to have number of separate boards, I guess that does make it potentially more fixable (especially in terms of tracing where the audio disappears.)

Although I kind of figured the problem was more likely to be in the digital circuits, rather than in the analogue audio section.

Thanks for the advice.
I've never yet encountered a Barracuda module (the credit card sized daughterboard) which booted, drove the display properly and responded to the user controls as expected yet failed to output digital audio to the rest of the radio.  Not saying it cannot happen just that I would put a higher probability on your problem being elsewhere.

Ben H

« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:53:03 »
I'm dead certain it can't be as simple as this, but since I had similar symptoms with a (non internet) radio some months back, and spent ages with it opened up...

Just check the headphone socket. Somebody (not me) had bunged something in, and not all of it had come out again, thus breaking the circuit.

It's never that simple though....
Radios: Reciva - Logik IR100, dnt IPdio Tune, Tevion: SkyTC - Disgo & Xenta: vTuner - Freeview MusicPal & Pioneer VSX-923: Frontier - Clarus MusicBox, Oxx Classic V, Sandstrøm SDABXIR13:  Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Radio: Roku

drgeoff

« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:32:53 »
I'm dead certain it can't be as simple as this, but since I had similar symptoms with a (non internet) radio some months back, and spent ages with it opened up...

Just check the headphone socket. Somebody (not me) had bunged something in, and not all of it had come out again, thus breaking the circuit.

It's never that simple though....
That's a good tip.  There might not be something bunged in there but from the photos of an IR100 it looks like the headphone socket is mounted on a PCB and has no mechanical connection to the rear panel.  The OP obviously uses the headphone socket as there is no other way he could be connecting it to his Hi-Fi.  Repeated plugging in and out could have broken one or more solder joints between PCB and socket tags.