Author Topic: Frontier Silicon: major changes lead to limited usability of all FS radios  (Read 2745 times)

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
But how would you get a an FS radio to contact vTuner instead of Airable in the first place? Surely you'd need FS to cooperate in that somehow?
Technically possible if the end user runs a local DNS server which spoofs addresses.  Similar to the method of Sharpfinning a Reciva radio using the "Upgrade firmware" menu.  But that isn't something the average Joe could do or want to do as that local DNS server would need to be running all the time.  Unlike Sharpfinning which only needs the local DNS server running briefly once.

I think my isp would take a dim view of that. However,  if Peter Johnson wants to send somebody from vtuner by to set that up for me, I'll gladly pay him the $3/ year he's talking about losing.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

drgeoff

Wouldn't impact your ISP one iota.  They would not even know, or be able to discover, it was happening.

Don't get me wrong. Techically feasible, but not practical for the vast majority of end users.

Solo2

• Administrator
Wouldn't impact your ISP one iota.  They would not even know, or be able to discover, it was happening.

Don't get me wrong. Techically feasible, but not practical for the vast majority of end users.

I assume this is sort of that?  https://github.com/milaq/YCast
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Paul Webster

Yes, that is the YCast that I was referring to.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

astounded

Someone asked Airable if they plan to allow users to add their own URLs:

https://matthesv.de/blog/neues-radioportal-bringt-umstellungen-am-wlan-radio-mit-sich/

The answer was that Frontier Silicon is responsible.  But they're talking to them.

Dogmatix

Someone asked Airable if they plan to allow users to add their own URLs:

https://matthesv.de/blog/neues-radioportal-bringt-umstellungen-am-wlan-radio-mit-sich/

Interesting that according to that blog, Airable belongs to Tune In, not to TuneIn; the former being a German company run by a former Terratec manager.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

castalla

• Administrator
Dragged out my Pure Flow One from mothballs - unable to get any station listings of any kind.

However, it works perfectly with the upnpbridge plugin and LMS - all the goodness of iplayer, spotify, podcasts, etc.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

oldeman

I just put the following question to NAD support:

Some years ago I bought a NAD C446 tuner for listening to internet radio stations. The unit was rather expensive. Recently the operator vTuner was changed to Airable. Airable has not the option to make a favourites list. Since the C446 had no preset possibilities, the tuner totally depends on having access to a favourite list. So, the change of operator makes this tuner worthless and fit for the bin.
From internet discussions I learned that the change was induced by not paying a life-time fee of 0.30 $, which is peanuts compared with the price of the unit, I paid.
My question is: will NAD take some action in this matter or shall I indeed throw my unit in the bin?

When their reaction comes, I will let it know.

oldeman

A quick, but not inspiring answer came from NAD Electronics. Since I bought the unit from NAD and not from FS. NAD Electronics should be my contact partner. Any reference to subcontractors is not justified.
Answer from NAD:

Hello

Thank you for contacting NAD Electronics. Please see this message from the service providers of V-Tuner, the third party software implemented in your NAD C446;
https://support.wifiradiofrontier.com/portal/kb/articles/service-change

They can provide the answers you are looking for. We are continuing to investigate the situation and hope to resolve service as quickly as we can.
Follow us on Twitter at @NADElectronics or Like us on Facebook at fb.com/NADElectronics for news and updates.
Tony

oldeman

Asked about How would you rate the support you received? I wrote: bad, I am unsatisfied.

As comment:

I bought my tuner from NAD and not from Frontier Silicon or vTuner. NAD is my prime contact address and prime responsible.

"We are continuing to investigate the situation and hope to resolve service as quickly as we can"
Hope is not the same as: we will...

"Follow us on Twitter at @NADElectronics or Like us on Facebook at fb.com/NADElectronics for news and updates."
I donot use social media and like to become informed in other ways.

dog-man

I am wondering if Pure are having the same issues.

Pure radios have been unable to receive internet stations for several days now and after enquiring what the issue was and if they had an idea of when all will be back to normal, the answer was that they did not know as they were still looking for whatever was causing the problem.

It seems that buying an internet radio is a risky business.

castalla

• Administrator
I am wondering if Pure are having the same issues.

Pure radios have been unable to receive internet stations for several days now and after enquiring what the issue was and if they had an idea of when all will be back to normal, the answer was that they did not know as they were still looking for whatever was causing the problem.

It seems that buying an internet radio is a risky business.

see my post above
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Dogmatix

From the pictures, the Pure Evoke F3 and Evoke C-F6, possibly also the Evoke F4 and Evoke H6 look to be Frontier-based, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they use/used the vTuner database or portal (I think they use Pure's 'Lounge' service).

The Pure Elan IR33 and IR5, however, are suffering from Frontier's database change - see the message on Pure's website at https://support-uk.pure.com/en/kb/articles/service-change-elan-ir3-ir5, which reads just like Frontier's 'support' message.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

Solo2

• Administrator
The Great Prognosticator weighs in, and says U.S. TuneIn (not Tune In GmbH, which is airable) is caught in a legal wringer in the UK.

https://omny.fm/shows/james-cridland/for-internet-radio-there-may-be-trouble-ahead

Dogmatix

U.S. TuneIn [...] is caught in a legal wringer in the UK.

If the court case goes against TuneIn (US), they could simply make their services practically, as well as theoretically, unusable outwith the US of A.

But as fae as I can tell, the ruling being requested refers only to services providing lists of stations, not to the stations themselves.

Of course, when the sword of Brexit falls, the BBC, being licensed for the UK only, could start geo-blocking outwith the UK. Other UK stations, on the other hand, might not be too worried.